qpkg package query tool should be more visible
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkiingYAC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: qpkg package query tool should be more visible Reply with quote

I found emerge to be incredible but the only problem is that I did not found out about it until about an hour ago, and had been using emerge search to determine whether a package was installed and a string of find, greps & awks to see what belonged to what. Coming from rpm-based distros (Mandrake & Redhat), I expected any query commands to be built in similar to rpm. It may not be useful to build it in, but at the very least qpkg should be either installed by default or all of gentoolkit, and it should be mentioned in man pages, emerge docs, in emerge --help under "search", etc. Maybe its there and I missed it, but I read through everything pretty thoroughly during install and I imagine others have come across the same problem. Other than that emerge is great.
cedric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have "epm" which is part of gentoolkit. I haven't tried it but I know this tool accepts the same commands as rpm so it may interest you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: