Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub won't boot any kernels - Please help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dziegler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Grub won't boot any kernels - Please help! Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo twice now, and no matter how I configure the kernel, I can't get grub to boot it. I get the following message:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

I'm on a dual P3 computer, with a via chipset. I've tried gentoo-sources (2.4.19-r7, 8, and 9) and vanilla-sources (2.4.19). I've tried enabling and disabling SMP. I tried passing the noapic=1 argument on the boot line. I upgraded to grub 0.92. None of this has worked.

I've actually been reinstalling - I broke my old install and had to reinstall it, and on my old install, the kernel booted fine, and I haven't changed any hardware. Unfortunately, I don't have my old kernel settings written down either, so no such luck there.

I tried downloading the config files from CVS for gentoo-sources r8, but it wouldn't compile with my kernel, lots of errors about unresolved dependencies.

The livecd does boot, so using that kernel is an option, but I'd like to figure out how to get my own kernel to boot so that I can upgrade in the future. If anyone has any suggestions about what might be wrong, or what I could do differently, I'd *LOVE* to hear them. Thank you *very* much in advance.

-David Ziegler
-dziegler@mit.edu
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're missing some vital part in your kernel config or the grub.lst file has an error in it. If you could post either or both of those in some way it'd help...
dziegler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I solved it finally... I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I got it to work by using a config file off the gentoo cvs tree. Then, I slowly started enabling things... Thanks for your help.

-David Ziegler
-dziegler@mit.edu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: