NIC Drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: NIC Drivers Reply with quote

I have two network cards installed in my network server where I'm installing Gentoo. One is a 10/100 D-Link DFE-530TX+. It uses a Realtek RTL-8139 chip. The other is a generic POS that my cable company gave me (funny, I asked for a 3COM network card and they give me a 3COM cable modem). It uses a 10BaseT RT8029(AS) chip... yeah, real cheap production chip.

Now, I'm pretty sure the 10/100 card I have uses the rtl8139 network module and the 10BaseT needs the ne2k-pci module. Both cards are accessible under the Gentoo boot CD kernel... but not under the one I compiled (after rebooting there are no eth devices).

I went through every single option in my kernel config and could not find anywhere to install either of these modules (I also couldn't find the CONFIG_FIREWALL or CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL options which I need if I'd like to use ipchains so I went ahead and installed CONFIG_NETFILTER).

Am I incorrect about the modules that I need? Are they not included perhaps and I would be better off downloading them manually from somewhere? If I need to get files, I can download them to a floppy on another computer and copy them over okay... so that's not an issue.

I would rather add the modules I need without recompiling my entire kernel. How would I accomplish that?

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm actually there is a RTL-8139 module option in the kernel configuration... but I already had it selected. Still can't find the ne2k-pci though. The 10BaseT card is my main concern right now since it provides my internet access and I'm unable to emerge new packages without it.

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got half of this working. I did manage to find the NE2k clone module in the kernel config (CONFIG_NE2K_PCI) by using grep. I installed it as a module and triple checked that the RTL-8139 module was selected. Here's a snip of my installed kernel .config:

Quote:
CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=m
# CONFIG_8139CP is not set
CONFIG_8139TOO=m
# CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO is not set
# CONFIG_8139TOO_TUNE_TWISTER is not set
CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y
# CONFIG_8139_NEW_RX_RESET is not set

ne2k-pci now loads on boot, but rtl8139 is *still* not available. =\ WTH? I am pretty damn sure that the experimental CONFIG_8139CP (RTL-8139+) module shouldn't apply to me and is for another chip. Someone stop me if I'm wrong about that and should be installing the module.

Heck, what would be the downside of installing ALL the NIC drivers as modules? I figure installing it directly into the kernel eats resources, while installing as a module and not loading it will simply eat up a small amount of disk space. I'm considering doing this just to avoid the hassle later and I can simply edit my modules.autoload.

Well, when I first saw the ne2k clone module load I thought, "Great!"... but when it came time for the bootloader to run the DHCP client daemon on eth0, it failed after a long pause (same as before). Manually running the utility after logging in gave the same results.

I soon realized that my eth devices had swapped. My ne2k was now eth1 and (I assume) my rtl8139 is now eth0... Why? It doesn't really matter *too* much since I can use the system (or at least the half that's working heh), but I was wondering how linux determines the order of devices. I would have figured it was based on the IRQ setting, but apparently not... if I wanted to, how could I reorder my devices?

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got the right driver -- I'm using a D-Link 530TX+ with the rtl8139too driver. Here's my relevant kernel .config:

# CONFIG_8139CP is not set
CONFIG_8139TOO=y
# CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO is not set
# CONFIG_8139TOO_TUNE_TWISTER is not set
# CONFIG_8139TOO_8129 is not set
CONFIG_8139_NEW_RX_RESET=y

Hope that helps!
cybersarge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guero61 I have the DLINK 530TX+ card also, I had issues getting my ADMtek (Comet) NIC to work so I pulled it and slammed the DLINK in. I can get it to work with dhcpd eth0, but it is not coming up at boot. I'm at work so I can not attach any files at the moment but if anyone could help, please let me know what to post.

Its funny, I did not have this problem with my first Gentoo install - but I think I have just missed something.

Thanks for the help!
cybersarge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I forgot this:

Code:
rc-update add net.eth0 default

maybe it will help someone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: