HOWTO: use gmail with privoxy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riksta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: use gmail with privoxy Reply with quote

Hi there, after half an hour, i've just discovered why my gmail wouldn't let me sign on through firefox. It seems that privoxy was blocking something out (from the default configs as it was installed)... and i was getting stuck on the "Loading....." page. Viewing the source said i have no JavaScript enabled, which i did.

Anyway, it's a quick and easy fix

Code:

echo "+gmail.google.com" >> /etc/privoxy/trust

Ta Ta

Rick
pidgas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: another fix Reply with quote

I have got gmail working in Mozilla Firefox after making the following changes in privoxy. Edit the file /etc/privoxy/user.action such that you do not prevent compression for gmail or crunch it's cookies. You can restrict the cookies to session-only. Here is the relevant section from my user.action file:

Code:
{-crunch-incoming-cookies \
 -crunch-outgoing-cookies \
 -prevent-compression \
 +session-cookies-only \
}
gmail.google.com

Apparently, gmail uses compression to either allow faster loading OR perhaps avoid content filters. Who knows? But if privoxy is set up to block compressed sites (as it apparently is, by default), then privoxy will intercept the compressed pages and thus break sites like gmail.

Hope this helps!

Pid.
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2 tricks above didnt work for me

when typing gmail.google.fr i get "Lodading ...." for an infinity time

the page src
Code:

<html><head><title>Gmail</title><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Gmail Atom Feed" href="https://gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom" /><script src="/gmail?view=page&name=browser&ver=6a796cba3b98783d"></script></head><noscript><font face=arial>JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use Gmail in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then <a href="/gmail">try again</a>. <p>To use Gmail's basic HTML view, which does not require JavaScript, <a href="/gmail?ui=html&zy=n">click here</a>.</p></font></noscript><script>
<!--
var fs_time = (new Date()).getTime();function wfs() {if (top.location.href.indexOf('nocheckbrowser') != -1) {return true;}if (!is_browser_supported) {top.location = '/gmail?ui=html&zy=j';return false;}var testcookie = 'jscookietest=valid';document.cookie = testcookie;if (document.cookie.indexOf(testcookie) == -1) {top.location = '/gmail/html/nocookies.html';return false;}document.cookie = testcookie + ';expires=' + new Date(0).toGMTString();var agt = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();if (agt.indexOf('msie')!= -1 && document.all) {eval("var control = (agt.indexOf('msie 5') != -1) ? 'Microsoft.XMLHTTP' : 'Msxml2.XMLHTTP';try {new ActiveXObject(control);} catch (e) {top.location = '/gmail/html/noactivex.html';}");}return true;}if (wfs()) {document.write("<frameset rows=\"100%,*\" border=0><frame name=main src=/gmail/html/loading.html frameborder=0 noresize scrolling=no><frame name=js src=/gmail?view=page&name=js&ver=d349ff8be4c91608 frameborder=0 noresize></frameset>");}
//-->
</script></html>

riksta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you restart privoxy?
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riksta wrote:
did you restart privoxy?

yeah sure /etc/init.d/privoxy restart ....

but something was screwed with my conf and every web host became untrested .... even if privoxy is off + firefox with no proxy i still get the privoxy page "untrested ...." despite that
Code:
 ps auwx|grep privoxy
show no process ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: