[SOLVED] HD missing with "nodetect" kernel option
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] HD missing with "nodetect" kernel option Reply with quote

I have a Blue&White G3 (350 MHz) that I wanted to installed with the Gentoo 2006.0 minimal CD. When I went with the default (ppc32) kernel, I got the error "Oops: Kernel access of bad area, sig 11 [#1]" during coldplugging of PCI devices so I tried a few kernel options. The only thing that worked was using "ppc32 nodetect". I was then able to get the network with "modprobe bmac", however only the cdrom shows up when I do:
Code:

mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    2 @ 1       (  1.0k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2               Apple_HFS Gentoo Linux 2006.0 PPC  105560 @ 16      ( 51.5M)  HFS

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=105576
DeviceType=0x1, DeviceId=0x1

The ide hard drive is not hidding behind /dev/hdb, etc., either. Checking dmesg and /var/log/messages I don't see any harddrive showing up at all. What do I have to do to get the harddrive to show up? BTW, the modules I have loaded are:
Code:

lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ohci1394               36020  0
ieee1394               99160  1 ohci1394,[permanent]
soundcore               8936  0
sungem                 33860  0
sungem_phy              9728  1 sungem
uninorth_agp            9064  0
agpgart                31776  1 uninorth_agp
bmac                   15344  0

Thanks for any advice.
/iMike

Last edited by iMike on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
grazie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no solution, but I do have the same machine with the same problem. Is there anything in bugzilla?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't put anything in yet. I had one filed against Gentoo 2005.1 on the same type of a machine (G3) with a little different configuration (DVD instead of CDROM). There were quite a load of problems. As far as PPC's go, I only have Gentoo running on one, a G4. I am determined to make it work on this G3, though. If no one beats me to it, I'll file something in Bugzilla in a day or two.

But even if I put something in Bugzilla, I am still interested in any workarounds people think of. For my G3/DVD, I came up with the idea of using Ubtunu to get the Gentoo stages on disk and then going for there. I hope someone has got a better idea that that :wink: .
Master of Puppets
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the hd to show up in my B&W with "modprobe cmd64x", since I was having the same kernel panic while coldplugging. It showed up for me as /dev/hdc
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the
Code:
modprobe cmd64x
suggestion, and it loaded OK, but
Code:
mac-fdisk -l /dev/hdc
(or hdb, hdd, etc) still gives
Quote:
mac-fdisk: can't open file '/dev/hdd' (No such file or directory)
. Did you do something with udev to rebuild the device tree? Can you give us the output from an
Code:
lsmod
?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried udevstart, but that didn't help. If I knew more of what I was doing, I would probably be a bit worried that there is nothing setup for hotplug:
Code:
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

Also was toying with:
Code:
# /sbin/hotplug
Usage: /etc/hotplug.d/default/default.hotplug AgentName [AgentArguments]
AgentName values on this system:  dasd firmware ieee1394 input net pci scsi tape usb
# /sbin/hotplug pci
Bad PCI agent invocation

Blah. Any other tips? The ones I'm giving myself suck!
Master of Puppets
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsmod gives me
Code:

Module                  Size  Used by
bmac                   15344  0
cmd64x                 11196  0 [permanent]

I've never gotten gentoo to install correctly on this machine, I always run into problems somewhere, and I'm a bit of a linux n00b, so I've never known how to fix most of the problems I run into. I can get x86 to install on my x86 hardware with no problems, but I just can't figure out ppc.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've modprobed the module, try running MAKEDEV. Also, what does dmesg say after you've modprobed the module?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modprobe cmd64x gives, in /var/log/messages:
Code:
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd CMD646: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:01:01.0
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd CMD646: chipset revision 5
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd CMD646: chipset revision 0x05, UltraDMA Capable
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd CMD646: 100% native mode on irq 26
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1050-0x1057, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd ide2: BM-DMA at 0x1058-0x105f, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd Probing IDE interface ide1...
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd ide1: Wait for ready failed before probe !
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd syslog-ng[4766]: STATS: dropped 0
Aug 28 19:29:43 livecd Probing IDE interface ide2...

But unfortunately, doing MAKEDEV produced no new entities in /dev and still no way to get to the hard drive. hda is still the livecd:
Code:
livecd ~ # ls /dev/hd*                                                                                                                       
/dev/hda

Code:
livecd ~ # mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda                                                                                                             
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    2 @ 1       (  1.0k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2               Apple_HFS Gentoo Linux 2006.0 PPC  105560 @ 16      ( 51.5M)  HFS

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=105576
DeviceType=0x1, DeviceId=0x1

Thanks for the tip, though. It sounded hopeful.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about hde and hdf? They're both mentioned in that dmesg snippet.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I thought I might have better luck with 2005.1, so that is what I am currently trying. I'll be happy to switch back, just thought I might get a little further along. In fact, it is smoother. In 2005.1 I do not need the "nodetect" option and cmd64x and other modules get loaded automatically. However, it's the same problem with the hard drive not showing up, even after MAKEDEV. I am quite sure the following would be the same result on 2006.0 since after MAKEDEV (as I showed above) no new entities were created in /dev (in particular, no /dev/hdf, /dev/hde, etc. only hda):
Code:

livecd ~ # mac-fdisk -l /dev/hdf
mac-fdisk: can't open file '/dev/hdf'  (No such file or directory)
livecd ~ # mac-fdisk -l /dev/hde
mac-fdisk: can't open file '/dev/hde'  (No such file or directory)
grazie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My machine's HW config is IDE primary=/dev/hda (CDROM), secondary=/dev/hdc & /dev/hdd (hard drives).This config is consistent on Ubuntu 5.10, Gentoo 2005.1 & 2006.0 LiveCDs and Ubuntu 5.10 HD installations. It is possible (but tricky) to swap IDE cables to reverse the order, but then you can't load bootable CDs by holding down the C key.

Loading module cmd64x fixes the problem for me, although I still get errors for /dev/hda with mac-fdisk -l as there's probably some kind of cdrom module not loaded.

I too am strugging to get Gentoo to boot from the HD on this machine. I have managed to boot Ubuntu from both the master and slave hard disks though, so technically it has to be possible.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hard drive is set up the same way, i.e., on a cable coming directly from the motherboard. It is not connected behind the CD-ROM in some sort master/slave arrangement. Perhaps that is the next thing I should try next, however, minus any other helpful hints.
grazie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stating the bleeding obvious, but is your hard drive known to be working and link set to master or CS? IIRC, CS doesn't work on my machine.

When you can see the hard drive, I found http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/index.en.shtml#contents (English) or http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/index.de.shtml#contents (German) a very good reference for yaboot.

BTW, it would be best use the 2006.0 CD if you can, as it took 8 or more hours compiling just to bring the 2005.1 base installation update to date.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 2005.1 or 2005.0 InstallCD works better, you could just boot with that then use the 2006.0 stages, that's a perfectly valid installation method. There's nothing really special about each InstallCD, it's just a minimal environment that's enough to unpack the stages and chroot into them.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with stating the obvious :D that is often the problem. I am now starting to suspect the HD too, although it worked perfectly last time I used it. I had carefully labelled it, for what that is worth. I see that an old Ubuntu CD seems to be having trouble finding any drive either. It will take a bit to investigate, but I'll come back with the results.

Yes, of course, I do agree that using the 2006.0 Gentoo CD would be preferable. Pragmatically, though, being the lazy bastard that I am, I often go with whatever is the least problem. I few hours of compiling is nothing compared to several hours of human time, in my book.

Thanks for the tips!
/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, of course, I do agree that using the 2006.0 Gentoo CD would be preferable. Pragmatically, though, being the lazy bastard that I am, I often go with whatever is the least problem. I few hours of compiling is nothing compared to several hours of human time, in my book.

Right, but I'm suggesting that you don't need to use the 2006.0 InstallCD to install 2006.0 stages. You can use the 2005.1 InstallCD and download the 2006.0 stage, then install with that. The result is the same as if you had used the 2006.0 CD to boot.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite right. What I'm using are all minimal CDs so the stages and snapshots come from the net anyway. In theory, anything that would boot and give me net and disk access should work, I guess, cause then I could download stages and snapshots and chroot over into Gentoo. I usually run LVM so that puts a little tougher restriction on it, namely, it might be tough to set up the disk using Ubtuntu's LVM then expect Gentoo's LVM to go along.

I figure if I can keep it in the Gentoo family (2005.x, 2006.x) it should work fine. We'll see what happens when I get a chance to check on possible hard drive failure in more detail.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out to be a bad hard drive, so far as I can tell at this point. I am truly surprised, since the drive in question never gave me problems before; however, old drives can go quickly I guess.

Thanks for waking me up to the "bleeding" obvious of checking the hardware! Also, thanks much for the tip on cmd64x. I haven't dived into the ppc kernel enough to know what is what. That module provides just the right workaround for the 2006.0 CD "nodetect" problem. BTW, my replacement hard drive also shows up as /dev/hdc.

Thanks, everyone!
/iMike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: