Identical HDDs, different num heads & cylinders
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Identical HDDs, different num heads & cylinders Reply with quote

I have two identical hdds which I want to install linux on.

One is primary master (hda) and the other is secondary master (hdc). My CD-ROM is secondary slave (hdd).

According to my bios my hdds are 120034mb with 8192kb cache. with CHS=14593/255/63

According to kernel hda has that configuration while hdc has CHS=232581/16/63. Why is that? (Num sectors and size are the same for both drives)

Does the fact that the cdrom is connected to the same ide-bus as hdc make this occur?

I want to raid-1 both drives (with LVM, EVMS) and install linux them. Will this size-differance matter? Will the speed increase/decrease? What otther consequences will this have?

Lots of questions, but it'd be nice to know.. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting... I'd disconnect the CD just to test. Are the HDs both the same make/model?
lord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly disconnect the cdrom, but then I wouldnt have anywhere to boot from. Its a fresh box :~

Both hdds are as i mentioned identical.

I've checked /proc/ide/hda/model and same for hdc. everything is the same... :P

same firmware, model, size etc etc

really strange :~

Are there any bootdisks I could download from gentoo's homepage, so i can disconnect the cdrom?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation from a boot floppy HOWTO
might help. Or, you could swap the HD on the CD channel for the other HD and see what happens. Probably easier.
coolcash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that the drives might be physically different. One might have 1 or 2 platters and the other has 2 or 3. Raid should run fine.
lord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcash wrote:
I am guessing that the drives might be physically different. One might have 1 or 2 platters and the other has 2 or 3. Raid should run fine.

Both my posts state that my HDDs are identical, and they still are...

They are identical because they have exactly the same model number, purchased at the same time from the same vendor with the same identifier. Every parameter is the same, including firmware. Even labels on both drives are the same except for serial no's and stuff...

They are identical. :)

kanuslupus:
Thanks, I'll try to move around the drives and see what happens...
But the question is still, are there any performance effects on how the drives are detected (255 vs 16 heads etc). Any ideas? :)
Dixie_Flatline
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: LBA -- here's the trick. Reply with quote

OK, I had the same problem with a Dell PowerEdge 500SC and the two identical drives I ordered it with. If I left them both on the primary channel (the way it came configured), they both showed up with the same geometry. If I moved one to the secondary channel, they changed. The BIOS is addressing the primary-channel drives in LBA mode (which rearranges the geometry), but not the secondary.

What I found is that if I partitioned the second drive while it was primary-slave (and showing LBA geometry, i.e. ???/255/63), then moved it to secondary-master, the BIOS recognized the LBA geometry in the partition table and would then show LBA geometry for the drive. Strange but true.

So what you need to do is partition the second drive, then move it to the secondary channel, and you should be fine. Good luck!
vod
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thing with my two identical deskstars. Maybe that's why i'm getting terrible performance from one of them. They are raid0 too.
dbacon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Identical HDDs, different num heads & cylinders Reply with quote

lord wrote:

According to my bios my hdds are 120034mb with 8192kb cache. with CHS=14593/255/63

According to kernel hda has that configuration while hdc has CHS=232581/16/63. Why is that? (Num sectors and size are the same for both drives)

This happened to me when I let windoze initialize one MBR, and linux initialize the other. They assign arbitrary (yet obviously different) values for CHS. I waxed the MBR on both, let Linux initialize them both, and they then were detected to be identical.

By 'waxed', I mean
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=2

Of course, back it up if it's important.

--Dave[/code]
dbacon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and by 'initialize', I mean use 'fdisk' under linux. It should print a warning that no valid MBR was found, and it will of course create an empty one for you.
dbacon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and there's more.

The reason why, is that Linux doesn't use BIOS values at all. In fact, if you could turn off the BIOS for your IDE controller(which some off-board controllers support), Linux still finds the controller and drives. It then gets the drive geometry to use from the disk label.

This being the case, if 'fdisk' finds a disk w/ no label, it has no BIOS values to write, so it just calculates some, which end up being different than the values in BIOS. Windows, on the other hand, probably grabs the values from BIOS, and writes them, so they show up the same.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
... and by 'initialize', I mean use 'fdisk' under linux. It should print a warning that no valid MBR was found, and it will of course create an empty one for you.

Will a new MBR and new CHS values affect partitions which are already on the dirve?

Cheers,
Andreas
perra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me too.

I "waxed" them both and restarted Linux before I partitioned them. I think the kernel remember the geometry and you need to reboot to make it start from scratch. That was my experience anyway...

In my case one of the drives was initialized by Windows first, and I guess Windows decided that the drive should look a bit different... :)
dbacon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:

Will a new MBR and new CHS values affect partitions which are already on the dirve?

Cheers,
Andreas

Yes, it will. So back it all up somewhere if it's important.
lord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon:

I tried to 'wipe', reboot and then re-partition... It didnt help :(((

Any ideas why?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: