3D acceleration on an Ultra 5 with an ATI Radeon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomicplayboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: 3D acceleration on an Ultra 5 with an ATI Radeon Reply with quote

I added in a second video card to my Ultra 5 system (ATI Radeon 7000) and wanted to set it up to use that as the primary card. After some tinkering and googling I came to the conclusion that it wasn't really possible. I then decided to see if I could set the graphics server up to use it. I installed Xorg and got that successfuly configured and working, except that the 3d hardware acceleration didn't seem to be working. I ran Glxinfo, and sure enough, Hardware rendering was reported as a no. I'm using the radeon driver, and compiled in support into the kernel (2.4.26) and I even tried switching to the 2.6.6 kernel to see if that would help. I ended up going back to the 2.4.26 kernel to get the sound working and I'm wondering if it's even possible to get 3d acceleration working on it with a secondary card. Has anyone had any experience with this on an Ultra 5? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to set the secondary card as a frame buffer? I'm not at the machine at the moment, but if error messages, or config files are needed I could post those later. Thanks.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Xorg log file indicate anything about hardware acceleration?

As for the console, the card will probably need to be addressable by openboot prom to be able to be used as a frame buffer. Normally a card like this will expect BIOS to initialize it, but there isn't one on a SPARC.

There is a theoretical possibilty that a Mac video card might be able to work since openfirmware and openboot prom are very similar from what I understand. I do not know of anyone who has tried this though, so whether it actually works or not is unknown.
atomicplayboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the portion of the Xorg log that seems to address the problem. Any ideas?

(II) RADEON(0): Wrote: rd=60, fd=350, pd=1
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
atomicplayboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well anyway, I'm thinking it might very well have to do with the BIOS not initializing it. I have a friend who's got a mac with a free PCI slot so I'm going to see what I can do about having him run a mac firmware upgrade on it. I bought this card specificaly for this machine, so if it doesn't work, I figure that the xorg drivers should still be able to work just as well with the mac firmware. I'm hoping to do this soon, and I'll post the results on the forums. Thanks for the idea.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: