Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help! Stage 1 install with unsupported network card...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afsthumper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Help! Stage 1 install with unsupported network card... Reply with quote

If it is at all possible, I want to do it! Here's the situation: I'm installing Gentoo 1.4 rc1 via livecd (livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso) on my new Dell Optiplex GX260. The problem is that the Intel 845 motherboard includes an integrated Intel 1000/Pro gigabit card. There is no module for this card included on the livecd, which only has a stage1 tarball.

The driver is easy enough to find, I just need e1000.o built from the source here: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/gentoo-sources/e1000-4.3.15.tar.gz

The problem is getting it compiled for the 2.4.19-xfs-r1 kernel that comes with the livecd. Without internet access, I don't yet have a build environment with which to compile this driver.

Any ideas as to how I would accomplish this? Could anyone with this kernel version compile this for me, or is there a way I can do it myself at this point in the install?

NOTE: There are other threads that deal with this issue with this ethernet card, but all of them resolve to do a stage3 install. I have posted this question, because it doesn't seem to me that it should be so difficult to get it working at this stage. I just need to somehow get the e1000.o binary for this kernel version!
warer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the same problem here, bought a intel 1000MT server adapter, no module for it on the livecd. But i have a mandrake system so i compiled the module there and used the mandrake boot cd to install gentoo.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Dell PowerEdge 1500 NIC? reveals that a stage 3 install would be best.
afsthumper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, looks like I'll probably just boot off of something that does support it. Anyone know of a rescue, boot, or install cd/floppy that has this driver incorporated into it?
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a cheesy work around, but for the Dell GX260's at work, I just plop in a cruddy $15 linksys card to get me through the initial stage1 setup, then get the onboard NIC working after everything's set up.

It's an option, but it will cost you $15. :)
afsthumper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did just that. I have 2 standard 10/100 3COM cards at my desk, so I cracked the case, and popped one of them into the 260. The only problem is that it only takes half-height cards. I got around that problem by just leaving the case open. So, I managed to get Gentoo loaded, and just did an EMERGE E1000 after I eventually had a Stage3 install running, at which time I could take the 3COM back out and close the case.

Thanks guys, I was so intent on getting the oddball card working, that it didn't even occur to me to just use a different ethernet card temporarily for the install.

:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: