Gentoo HPPA FX10 Graphics Card support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Gentoo HPPA FX10 Graphics Card support Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've read a lot of information out there on linux HPPA ports. Unfortunately a lot of what I found was hopelessly out-of-date and the mailing lists are either very quiet or filled with spam. I've got an HP Visualize C3700 workstation with an FX10 coming to me. Is the HP FX10 Graphics Card supported in HPPA Gentoo? The hardware list on parisc-linux.org is pretty horrible to use and appears to be ancient. In 2 year old documents it says the FX5/10 are not supported yet. What's the current situation with support?

Thanks!
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current situation, as discussed in the parisc-linux wiki here is that Kyle MCMartin is working on that cards, but up to now, there is no driver for them. The only thing working on them is the (very basic) STI text console, which is the one you use on the boot admin console.
cbf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I've spent the last couple of days searching for info. I don't know how I managed to miss that bit. Guess I'll stick with HP-UX for a bit :(

Thanks again
tfp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much waiting for the same thing, unfortunately I don't have HP-UX to mess with while I wait. I know there is always the command line but that is only interesting for so long.
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing you can do if you don't want to wait for the Visualize FX support, and that is to use another PCI graphics card. You are not restricted to use HP cards, even a 3dFX Voodoo2 should work.

The firmware console (PDC console), which uses STI, cannot use non-HP graphics cards, so you will have to use an existing HP card for that, or the serial console. Linux however has framebuffer drivers for many graphics cards.

For details, see PA-RISC Linux graphics HOWTO.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: