Installing with other OS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Panic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Installing with other OS Reply with quote

I would like to install Gentoo on free space I left after installing Mac OS X on my macintosh. Trouble is, I don't see any reference to this scenario in the install guide???
How can I do this?
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't? Are you reading the right install guide? Talks about nothing else, really...
Colonel Panic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: It doesn't address the problem Reply with quote

It makes no mention of what will happen to existing partitions (my several OS X ones) when you "create your partitions using mac-fdisk, mac-fdisk /dev/hdx". When you initialize, do other partitions get wiped??? You sure I wouldn't have to make my linux partitions on a blank disk, then install macos on the free space left over?
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't panic, Colonel... 8) I suggest you read up on fdisk in general and mac-fdisk in particular, that should ease your fears and prevent you from making any big mistakes. fdisk is never entirely safe, it can do a lot of damage, but provided you know what you're doing, it will remain non-intrusive to your existing OS and the filesystem(s) it resides on.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: It doesn't address the problem Reply with quote

I don't have a Mac and have never had one (although I hope that should change in the no-to-distant future) so the information I give you could be incorrect.

mac-fdisk shouldn't touch your partition table unless you tell it to. If it's like the fdisk for x86, then the only time it does anything to your partition table is when you tell it to write and exit. Therefore if you don't do anything silly then your partitions should be OK.
Colonel Panic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys (-;
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: