Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 4 - preconfigured Gentoo with X, KDE and Firefox?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxipes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Stage 4 - preconfigured Gentoo with X, KDE and Firefox? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I like gentoo for portage, it contains everything and is easy to use. But I don't like Gentoo installation and configuration (I simply don't have time for that). So it would be wery great if someone will provide Gentoo stage4. With this:
* Modular kernel based on genkernel with udev and coldplug
* Xorg
* KDE (please no flame)
* Mplayer with gui
* Firefox with flash and mplayer plugin
* DHCP autoconfiguration
* X autoconfiguration from knoppix (it's easy, I can post HOWTO)
* O2 opt for x86, everyone who want can recompile it.
Compressed it should take about 300 MB. I can help you with some thinks and I have FTP space for that. I think it's much more usefull than livecds or etc...

So is anyone interested?
gfuhrer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stage 4 - preconfigured Gentoo with X, KDE and Firefox? Reply with quote

Maxipes wrote:
Hi all,
I like gentoo for portage, it contains everything and is easy to use. But I don't like Gentoo installation and configuration (I simply don't have time for that). So it would be wery great if someone will provide Gentoo stage4. With this:
* Xorg
* KDE (please no flame)
* Mplayer with gui
* DHCP autoconfiguration
Compressed it should take about 300 MB. I can help you with some thinks and I have FTP space for that. I think it's much more usefull than livecds or etc...

So is anyone interested?

IMHO It won't be gentoo anymore...
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://desktop.vidalinux.com/ might be of interest to you. It uses gnome instead of kde though.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stage 4 - preconfigured Gentoo with X, KDE and Firefox? Reply with quote

Maxipes wrote:
Hi all,

Genkernel? What is so difficult about:
Code:
rm /usr/src/linux && ln -sf /usr/src/linux<version> /usr/src/linux && cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make && make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/ && perhaps editing grub

?
Really, you don't want genkernel
Oh well, it's just me I guess
Quote:
* Mplayer with gui

Mplayer comes standard with gui
Quote:

That might be an issue, since the flashplugin isn't free software
Quote:
* DHCP autoconfiguration

That is open for discussion, my isp needs a predefined hostname in order to get on the network, not a big deal, but hey
Quote:

X -config ? That doesn't work with nvidia or ati drivers (if you want 3d, if you don't want 3d, it already does just fine)
Quote:
Compressed it should take about 300 MB.

With KDE? I don't think so.
masonm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good description of VidaLinux to me.

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Registered Linux User # 382617
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge kde mplayer firefox netscape-flash

Or if you use GNOME:

emerge gnome firefox netscape-flash

As GNOME 2.10 now has Totem which is an AWESOME video player.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... no. You can make you're own stage 4 if you want though.
Poe
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
http://desktop.vidalinux.com/ might be of interest to you. It uses gnome instead of kde though.

Or other distro based on Gentoo - Navynos :] Can't kde. distro has fluxbox, but you can compile kde etc :]
http://navynos.linux.pl
greetz
Poe
RLU#342333
aldube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with a stage 4? Just compile everything you want then use Partimage to backup your ¨/¨ partition; it´s always easier to restore than reinstall when you already have everything properly setup the way you want it. Copying the files that you create or edit with nano (in the Gentoo Handook) to floppy also helps in cutting down reinstall time, as you can just copy and edit those files as necessary next time you install.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were kinda considering doing this as a replacement for GRP, actually...
skiman1979
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Stage 4 - backup / partition Reply with quote

I've been wondering about how to go about a "stage 4" install myself. I noticed a suggestion from one of the above posters to use partimage to backup the / partition. I also remember someone in a chat a while back saying she used tar to compress the entire / partition to another drive (or a CD) and then when she needs to restore, just extract the tarball to /

Is the partimage method more reliable for this? I don't remember the exact flags, but I know she used some flags to preserve timestamps, file permissions, ownership, and the like.
Maxipes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Noone? Reply with quote

It looks like nobody want it :(

Ok, forget for that
skiman1979
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in installing Gentoo without having to do the manual console-based line-by-line install process, perhaps VidaLinux would work for you. I haven't tried it myself, but from what I understand, it gives you a Gentoo installation using a graphical installer. Someone may have already suggested this above.
aldube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my backups have been serving as Stage 4 installs; basicly it´s a completed Stage 3 (no extras like WM) with Linux Kernel optimized to run on any Athlon XP computer; it saved me a lot of Stage 3 reinstalls; it´s been nice to just simply restore and start over if I didn´t like installing big stuff like KDE and Gnome.

Unfortunately I´d have to create a Stage 4 restore CD for Celeron labtop (Pentium4), another for my brother´s Athlon Thunderbird, and another for my old AMD K6-2 collecting dust from starting Stage 1; I suppose I could make a generic i686 and i585 Stage 4 restore CD; however, it would be more like using every other Linux distro out there.

Having a Stage 4 CD install would be great for speeding things along with fewer errors; however, the amount server space and bandwith needed would be insane for all the different CPUs out there; this could make a good sale item in the Gentoo Store though.

I think I´ll make a Stage 4 install for my AMD K6-2 on my Athlon XP so my K6-2 doesn´t spend a week or two compiling; where would Linux be without good ole TAR.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when someone is talking about opening up Gentoo for those that do not have the time to wait to install things someone always says "Well you could just compile.." are you all brain dead the whole point was to save time, how does compiling on a p200 save time eh? I don't see a point in the stage 4 though unless it would be even better than the grp, this still doesn't help Laptops though, I wouldn't want to shorten the life of my laptop by having to go through a two day+ install, then deal with routine four hour emerges that put the cpu usage to max every time, thats what Binaries are for but who needs those since you clearly can't understand the premise of the thread.

What I think would be nicer is a real Gentoo Live cd not unlike Knoppix that people could try out and then if they decide to install it choose a stage or use the grp.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real balls-ache time-waster for me is having to configure and debug every damn thing on the system.

A nice annaconda/Knoppix type autodetect would save _everyone_ using Gentoo a whole heap of wheel reinventing

I remember when I first install Gentoo spending literally days pouring over docs, forum posts, wikis, guides and still not managing to get the danm x-server to start.

Then I tried to use an ATI card and spend even more time pulling my hair out.

I dont know of any other distro that still expects us to deal with that kind madness.

And to preempt a flood of "yes buts" , yeah we would have to install some packages before running it depending on what we want or need. But when I put in a knoppix disk and see it do straight to a configured GUI I dont see why Gentoo could not do something similar without loosing the build from source system.

If I've emerge gnome/kde it uses it , if not a basic FVWM .

I think it would save us all lots of time and make Gentoo more use to the world.

8)
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
The real balls-ache time-waster for me is having to configure and debug every damn thing on the system.

A nice annaconda/Knoppix type autodetect would save _everyone_ using Gentoo a whole heap of wheel reinventing

I remember when I first install Gentoo spending literally days pouring over docs, forum posts, wikis, guides and still not managing to get the danm x-server to start.

Then I tried to use an ATI card and spend even more time pulling my hair out.

I dont know of any other distro that still expects us to deal with that kind madness.

And to preempt a flood of "yes buts" , yeah we would have to install some packages before running it depending on what we want or need. But when I put in a knoppix disk and see it do straight to a configured GUI I dont see why Gentoo could not do something similar without loosing the build from source system.

If I've emerge gnome/kde it uses it , if not a basic FVWM .

I think it would save us all lots of time and make Gentoo more use to the world.

8)
But that wouldn't be 1337 no I am sorry that would not be Ub3r 1337 H4x0r. Since we all know its the purpose of computing to use sometimes grossly inefficient yet somewhat powerful ways of doing things unnessecarily, and of course to be better than the "mindless" Windows users and non computer literate seventy-five year olds who were born before these machines were even concieved as peripheral tools for war!

Gentree I still can't get my ati card to work[3d acceleration] and this is probably more ATI's fault than Linux but it pisses me off too, you are definetly not alone. The one thing I truly hate about installing Gentoo is the network configuring since I don't really understand all of the pertinent questions I really do wish that was auto detected properly on my box and a sample config was presented to me as a choice.

I have installed Gentoo three times now [third one actually being successful.] it doesn't do anything for me to be made to do it again, but I understand that some people feel ub3r 1337 wgen staring at compiler output in a tty or terminal emulator, or they actually get off watching near useless [To those who don't know about the compiler let alone C in depth enough to grasp the output.] compiler output. I just wish I knew why they had to try and prevent people from making their lives more efficient/easier.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
nighty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stage 4 - preconfigured Gentoo with X, KDE and Firefox? Reply with quote

Maxipes wrote:
Hi all,
* Xorg
* KDE (please no flame)
* Mplayer with gui
* DHCP autoconfiguration

So is anyone interested?

unfortunately to you most people will go against your idea. however theres an alternative.
what i suggest you use is slackware (with swaret) or debian they have a binary system similar to portage although i like it alot less.
if you want portage functionality ive always wanted to give a ride to Slackware combined with Emerde but i still prefer gentoo as a whole.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dude Emerde looks like it might be something I could get to work on Fedora, this might be the best of both worlds solution I have been looking for I just wish school wasn't starting next week as I would have more time to hack and test out if I could make it work with FC. Thanks for the link.

kim_asplund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probibly seen this topic already...
Anyway...
Nice script if you have an installed system to make a stage4 of it...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-312817-highlight-image.html

Regards
Kim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: