Gentoo on Alpha
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo_13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Alpha Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an alpha based station. It's a EV56 on PC164 Motherboard...

I've a lot of problem to install linux on it.

I'd made the bootstrap and emerge system. But now, I can't emerge any kernel sources. And my alpha doesn't work very well without a kernel

Any idea?
Neo_13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re begin from scratch

I download the LiveCD 2004.0 for alpha

I burn it

boot

No Network auto detected

modprobe 8139too (my ethernet is RTL8139 based card)

Code:
modprobe: Can't locate module 8139too

Same problem with the Live CD of 02-2004

Any idea????
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Alpha users may spot your thread more easily in here.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Neo_13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested today all the Ethernet card I have... none is in LiveCD2004.0 for alpha...

Can someone send me the modules 8139too compiled for alpha by email?
neo_13@caramail.com

It would be great...
Q2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: no network on alpha Reply with quote

Did you try a tulip card? I've had good luck with SMC and Kingston tulip cards on old Alphas. Currently I'm running 2.4.21 using gigabit netgear cards (ga622).

good luck
Dan
LinuxFreakus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AS1200 is has been running since 1997 (only running linux on it since 2001, when I ditched DEC Unix) without any issues, I'm using a DECChip 21142/43 based card... not sure what the old part number was, but it works great with the tulip driver.

I've also used a Linksys LNE100TX with the tulip driver with no problems.
Neo_13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I cannot try anything since (too) long time... I just have exams this times, but in July will I install Gentoo on my PC164... If it wants or if it doesn't...

I just have some Realtek 8139, nothing else... That's my problem !
_markd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo_13 wrote:
I tested today all the Ethernet card I have... none is in LiveCD2004.0 for alpha...

I had the same problem when setting up gentoo on my 164SX.
There was a NE2000 compatible network card installed (module ne2k-pci) which was not supplied on the 2004.x live cds. I found out that the 1.4-rc1 livecd has much wider hardware support - the ne2k-pci module was on that cd. maybe your card is supported on that livecd.
carric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: No 3C90x???? Reply with quote

I had similiar problems on my LX164. I had a 3C905 card in it (which OF COURSE EVERYONE has, right??), and was dumbfounded to discover there is not 3C90x module in there either... luckily I had an eepro100 laying around, because I had spent about 4 hours just trying to get it to boot of the live CD. I had to attach an IDE CDROM to get it to boot (I tried 2 SCSI drives, and each could get IO errors when I tried to boot the kernel on both the 1.4rc1 and the 2004.0 ISO's).

I'm hoping I haven't egregiously poked myself by choosing to go with Reiserfs.... I am still emerging system right now, so I have not tried booting off the HDD yet.... cross your fingers for me.
_markd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: filesystem Reply with quote

carric wrote:

[...]
I'm hoping I haven't egregiously poked myself by choosing to go with Reiserfs.... I am still emerging system right now, so I have not tried booting off the HDD yet.... cross your fingers for me.

I have successfully used ext2,ext3,reiserfs and xfs on my alpha. The only problems I had so far were with jfs (mkfs.jfs (or was it mount -t jfs ?) failed with a segfault and all disk labels on that drive were gone after reboot) - nice feature... :?

Can't cross my fingers for you atm (I'd need somebody to write my exams to do that :) )
carric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Booting on LX164 Reply with quote

Pain......

Yep, I poked myself. If I try to boot FROM the partition on my IDE drive, I get some weird message:

attempt to read 6748160 belong end of file:6747655

I see something about "reading past end of device" before I get to this, but when I boot of the CDROM, there is no apparent problem with the FS.. any ideas??

I copied the whole /boot dir to my FAT partition, and it just reloads when it hits the "can't read past end of device" message.. disappointment fest man..
AS2100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Alpha - filesystem issues Reply with quote

Every time I tried to use Reiserfs on my AS2100 (I liked it from my x86 experience) I was getting the "reading past end of device" issues - I finally gave up on reiserfs. However EXT3 has been OK on 6 SCSI drives. One thing of note is to ensure that you create BSD dislabels. If you find a way to use reiserfs I sure want to know about it.

AS2100 :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: