Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Foundation Web Site Redesign Contest
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ill-conceived guidelines Reply with quote

neiras wrote:
In that case, you need to be more clear. You should probably be requesting design portfolios, not running a photoshopping contest (that's how the designers of those slick corporate sites get their jobs, by submitting portfolios. The designer of Apple.com probably didn't show up with a couple of photoshopped visions for Apple.com one day and get the job.)

Why not evaluate designers on past achievements and skill, not on their ability to hack together some kind of gentoo-ish layout that probably will bear no resemblance to the new site when it comes out?

Gentoo is not a corporation looking to hire somebody with a proven track record. It's looking for a talented artist who is happy to volunteer his time. Two different requirements, two different approaches. Stop forcing your narrow minded perception on us. What if somebody who has no portfolio or major design experience comes up with a beautiful site design that can be coerced into html/css? You would have written him off at the starting line for his lack of experience.

This is a contest aimed at everybody who is able and willing and around now, not for an experienced and highly paid designer.

neiras wrote:
If you don't like people assuming things, be more open!

Er... dude, that was such a lame comment. You're accusing a team who voluntarily work on an open source project where all communications are open and observable. How on Tutenkar-fuckin-moon is that closed!? You try to disguise your post as "constructive" but it was just a pompous rant. Wise up buddy. Just because the approach isn't to your tastes and the wording not up to your standards, don't impose your views on us as the "one and only way". Be grateful that these guys sweat blood and shed tears so that you have a nice operating system.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
neiras
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ill-conceived guidelines Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Folks -- please stop assuming you know the master plan for the site redesign.

neiras wrote:
If you don't like people assuming things, be more open!

klieber wrote:
I've answered every question posted here. We're not trying to hide anything.

Nobody's accusing anyone of trying to hide things, Kurt. I'm just saying, the process doesn't *appear* to be ideal - if you see people making assumptions, it's because they are acting on the appearances that the organizers of the contest have put forward.

Inistead of "be more open" I should have said "put more information out there" - over the posts in this thread it becomes apparent that there is a thought-out redesign plan behind the scenes. Having more of that plan and its goals ON THE CONTEST PAGE would be helpful for people deciding if they should participate. Timelines, specific goals, technical requirements, responsibilities, etc. are always helpful when deciding to commit to something - and if these things don't exist yet, then the someone jumped the gun in posting the contest.

If the entirety of the plan were available, the quality and number of submissions would probably increase. It's a chance to say to potential designers "hey, we've laid the groundwork here, we'd be glad to have you aboard and we'll support you throughout the project." Help them decide to help us!

As to your post subject, the suggestions I've made have been my attempt to "be part of the solution". If I didn't care I wouldn't be criticizing. :)

P.S. Why not propose to design agencies that they support Gentoo.org by assigning designers to it? Gentoo is non-profit, right? Wouldn't that be a writeoff and a showcase for an agency, and a free, professionally designed site for us?
neiras
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ill-conceived guidelines Reply with quote

Charlieg,

Nothing I've suggested would rule out "talented artists who want to get their name out there". Nothing I've said would rule out anyone.

The point is, allow people to send in portfolios of past work if they have them, without doing anything gentoo-esque, since the designs submitted to the contest will probably never be used as-submitted anyway. This would increase submissions and we'd get some serious designer people submitting along with the starving artist types.

This shouldn't be a contest - it's a call for a designer to join a Gentoo project.

By the way, the lucidity and usefulness of the first half of your post is overshadowed by the petty rudeness and bluster of the second.

As to me being pompous? Pot. Kettle. Black.
nitroburn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiras,

photoshop? errm try the gimp

also, I do lamp projects for a living and website design. It is very important to know the general layout BEFORE you start coding away to make a site. The reason to submit images of a mock-up is mostly for layout, and look and feel. I love gentoo and would love to see a new layout, I always feel trapped at certain points on the site. For instance try to go to gentoo's home page from these forums? Still here huh? back to address bar.

I am sure these guys thought out this contest, although some people don't understand some of the details. Don't question their reasoning for the method that this is undergoing. There is no "competition", gentoo is a community not a big company that doesn't care about its users. It's like the church building is not the church, it is the people.

My friend does client relations, and basicly gives me photoshop/dreamweaver mock-ups. I add/edit(with the gimp) his images and apply the general layout that he created to my database apps. He knows almost nothing about coding, but he can deal with humans("users" bah). We work well because of this.

As long as the layout is improved and the site look and feel rejuvenated, I will be happy.

oh yeah, please don't ensenuate country expressions. If you are going to use them at least say it right and apply it when applicable
neofeed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, we have `look` wise not got anywhere since the start of this thread.
Maybe you guys stop complaing so much and start taking out Gimp,InkScape, what every you like best and start doing some design ideas?! instead of complaining about the base?.

if we had a `yea this is what we want` style thing we could see what to do next. instead of pushing hot air.

kindest regards,
Moritz "neofeed" Angermann
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neofeed wrote:
Interesting, we have `look` wise not got anywhere since the start of this thread.
Maybe you guys stop complaing so much and start taking out Gimp,InkScape, what every you like best and start doing some design ideas?! instead of complaining about the base?.

I'm working on it! Spent all day yesterday after work and am going to spend some time today in Inkscape. I should be ready with my submission soon :)

I think it would be a good idea to post the images people come up with (since Gentoo cannot because of copyright issues). That way we can say "yeah I like that," or "no, please don't do that!" After a few images are posted, maybe we could come up with something that most people agree on (or at least an idea of what components may be generally good or bad).

:?: Can we use Public Domain images in our works?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ill-conceived guidelines Reply with quote

neiras wrote:
If the entirety of the plan were available, the quality and number of submissions would probably increase. It's a chance to say to potential designers "hey, we've laid the groundwork here, we'd be glad to have you aboard and we'll support you throughout the project." Help them decide to help us!

The person selected to do the design will be an integral part of everything you've described. We don't have firm technical requirements or an exact project plan for how this is going to proceed simply because we want to involve this person in that part of the process (assuming they want to be involved)

neiras wrote:
As to your post subject, the suggestions I've made have been my attempt to "be part of the solution". If I didn't care I wouldn't be criticizing. :)

Criticizing is the easy part. You want more stuff posted on the contest page? Write it up in GuideXML format, email it to me and I'll post it there. Think the contest is being mis-managed? Send me an email describing how you'd manage it better.

As another poster pointed out, we're all volunteers here and there's plenty of work to go around.

neiras wrote:
Why not propose to design agencies that they support Gentoo.org by assigning designers to it? Gentoo is non-profit, right? Wouldn't that be a writeoff and a showcase for an agency, and a free, professionally designed site for us?

Great idea, though we'd still want to consider community submissions as well. Feel free to contact design houses and see if they'd be willing to participate.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
:?: Can we use Public Domain images in our works?

As long as they truly are public domain, sure. The image that represents Larry the Cow isn't public domain, but it is GPL'd, iirc.
[EDIT: I mentioned Larry the Cow as an example of where we already use images which are Freely available]

--kurt
calande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Good idea Reply with quote

I see much counter arguments in this thread. Let's take it easy guys, as Gentoo doesn't try to canibalize other distros, why should we criticize each other's opinions, and our own distro's volunteers who have been doing a great job so far...

I think Gentoo had a great idea once again. As we're a community, this is a great way to contribute. One important thing is that IMO, every submition is a contribution, even if only one will be chosen. We shouldn't take this contest as an exam for a job position, on the contrary, each of us willing to take part should try his best, thinking about contributing, and without thinking about winning or not. After all, possibilities to be #1 are pretty small, so let's take it easy, try our best, and enjoy our form of contribution :)
To sum up, we have an opportinuty to take part with an interesting contest, Gentoo will have a very nice web site, and everybody will be happy 8)

Other than that, I think later this year we could also organize a contest for the nicest Gentoo Desktop (organization of items, background, fonts, colors, theme...), and maybe set this desktop configuration as default (Gnome and KDE) for a further release.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to humbly suggest that dev team (klieber, etc.) take these 'constructive critisisms' to heart and update the website contest page accordingly.
    emphasize usability
    explain that this is just one piece of the bigger website redesign picture

Also klieber, you said that you like the Apple, SUSE, and Red Hat sites over the rest (I happen to agree for the most part). What did you not like about the other sites?

I like the layout of the Microsoft site, but its too busy (like the current Gentoo site) and too hard to navigate.

The Apple site is nicely done, but the goal is obviously advertisement and not the distribution of software and related documentation.

I think the Xandros site is well done but lacks the "coolness factor".

Just my $0.02. :D
calande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Inquiry Reply with quote

I read in the guidelines:
Quote:
Note: Avoid black-on-black, lots of chrome and 8 point fonts. You may think it's cool. We don't.
, and also, I read that Kurt likes (I do too) the Apple web site.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple's web site based on chrome design?
Charles.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Inquiry Reply with quote

calande wrote:
I read in the guidelines:
Quote:
Note: Avoid black-on-black, lots of chrome and 8 point fonts. You may think it's cool. We don't.
, and also, I read that Kurt likes (I do too) the Apple web site.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple's web site based on chrome design?
Charles.

There's a difference between "some chrome" and "lots of chrome".

--kurt
andyjeffries
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
Apple Computer, Inc.
SUSE Linux AG
Red Hat, Inc.

I think those three are the best of the bunch, personally. They're also all professionally designed.

--kurt

What are your opinions on http://fedora.redhat.com/. That's one of the best looking open source Linux sites IMHO.
calande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref: Fedora web site

I think it looks professional, and it's functionnal, however I don't like this blue, and this grey, it's a little dull IMO.

Gentoo will have the most tasty web site pretty soon :D
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjeffries wrote:
What are your opinions on http://fedora.redhat.com/. That's one of the best looking open source Linux sites IMHO.

Hadn't seen it before, but now that I have, I like it. It's very clean and well laid out. Given the fact that Red Hat owns the copyright, I'm guessing they paid a professional design shop to do it.

--kurt
zeroK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjeffries wrote:

Nice :-) Only the menu on the left doesn't IMO fit all that great :-?
calande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Adds Reply with quote

What do you think?
Shouldn't ads be right before the news, as text instead of graphics, pretty much the way of AdSense. It would look nicer, and load faster, without loosing in visibility for partners'ads.
Charles.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeroK wrote:
andyjeffries wrote:

I think the left-hand menu is one of the site's strong points. It is nice an compact (good organization) on the home page, and the menu expands for the particular section you're browsing. Very cool.
calande
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
zeroK wrote:
andyjeffries wrote:

I think the left-hand menu is one of the site's strong points. It is nice an compact (good organization) on the home page, and the menu expands for the particular section you're browsing. Very cool.

Unfortunately we can't show this in action on an image file of the homepage :!:
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calande wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
zeroK wrote:
andyjeffries wrote:

You could show one section expanded as an example.
mjg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to start a thread that we can take off with inside of here.

The goal: to dig deep into everyone's mind, and see if we can come up with a decent summary about what we all think would be good and what would be bad.

So far, I've read a thread about tearing apart the old site and picking apart singular concepts of certain designs. Granted, the feedback is excellent, but if someone was to read this forum to look for advice or a starting point they are totally out of luck. I came to the forum looking for things that people were trying to do so I could possibly push the envelope, add ideas together, collaborate with some serious people so we can make a seriously sick design.

I'd like to see a bunch of people who are serious about this post information about what they think would be good things to keep, add, incorporate, things that are bad, should be taken out or left out, and concepts that are good about the current site, bad about the current site, and concepts people have come up with to include in the new designs we are all coming up with.

Obviously, this takes some of the creativity out of the crop of submissions, but it does, however, make the submissions that much better because people can base their ideas and push their imagination in a direction we all agree it should be going.

I'll start off with a few things to see if this will go anywhere...

The current site has a vast amount of absolutely amazing content. I don't think there is an area of the site that isn't important in some way. Due to this, the navigation system needs to be changed. That information needs to accessed MUCH easier, whether it be through the menu system, a search, or what-have-you.

The layout is simplistic yet effective. There's no BS thrown in the site to make it eye-candy. Thus, it loads fast, it's easy to manage, and cross-browser support is cake. I think this concept needs to stay without a doubt.

The links on the left are too cluttered, too small, and could be broken down better. I think that all of that stuff can be fused in with the menu system to make it easier to work with.

It is good to have old news on the site for reference material, but again, it's off to the side and way too small and cluttered. There's a lot of easier, more pleasing ways to go about that (Previous/Next links, a different way of grouping them, etc).

The site doesn't have a very flowing nature. One point that was already brought up is trying to get back to gentoo.org from the forums. Any page on the site (or subset of pages) should be accessable from the current page you are visiting.

There is way too much unused space at the top of the page. Not that it is a horrible thing or a show-stopper, but there's no need for it. A page is only as useful as the content included in the space it takes up. If you're taking up a large amount of space with nothing, it seems like a waste to me. People have brought up Microsoft being too cluttered, apple being too advertisement-driven, flash being too flashy, and things of that nature. I think the site could use some space management, but at the same time keep things spaced enough where the site is a pleasure to look at.

On that note...I'm going to stop typing. This is getting extremely long, and I'm sure I've said some things to strike a few nerves in some fellow web designers.

--Mike
mjg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
calande wrote:
nadamsieee wrote:
zeroK wrote:
andyjeffries wrote:

You could show one section expanded as an example.

Obviously I would hope people would add explination with their images. Part of a design is its functionality. That needs to be described in detail so people can understand what it is and why it's there.

As far as the Fedora menu....it's "cool" but it requires too many clicks. I don't want to have to click on a menu link to go to a page to see the rest of the menu for that section. You should be able to browse the menu/navigation system easily and quickly without having to go back and forth between pages (almost defeats the purpose of a menu system). That menu would have rocked if they allowed it to be expanded without changing pages.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjg wrote:
As far as the Fedora menu....it's "cool" but it requires too many clicks. I don't want to have to click on a menu link to go to a page to see the rest of the menu for that section. You should be able to browse the menu/navigation system easily and quickly without having to go back and forth between pages (almost defeats the purpose of a menu system). That menu would have rocked if they allowed it to be expanded without changing pages.

Two clicks ain't bad, especially when compared to the confusion that a poorly organized website can cause. :wink:

Of course, with XML and CSS one could implement what you're suggesting...
mjg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
Two clicks ain't bad, especially when compared to the confusion that a poorly organized website can cause. :wink:

Of course, with XML and CSS one could implement what you're suggesting...

or some crafty javascript/dhtml :wink:
Shadows
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjg wrote:
or some crafty javascript/dhtml :wink:

Where we come to another important point of the discussion. Javascript should never ever be used if the following statements are not applicable:

- Enabling Javascript enhances a certain functionality on the site, but is not a requirement
- Disabling Javascript does not leave any part of the site in a state of not beeing usable anymore

A good example for this is the forums on Gentoo, especially the "Post a reply" site. Enabling Javascript makes it easier to tag text, but disabling Javascript still allows me to post AND to tag text. So, Javascript is not a definite requirement to use this functionality.

A bad example for using Javascript is an expandable menu structure. This would lead to a site where it's not possible anymore to navigate the site if Javascript is disabled. Sure, there are ways to make it possible even with Javascript disabled (noscript-Tag for example) but it makes it necessary to manage redundant information (e.g. you have to edit Javascript- und HTML-code if you want to change menu structure) and is not an elegant solution IMO.

I don't have it enabled at all, and when I come across a site that's practically empty except a few sentences like:
"To browse this site you have to enable Javascript in your Web-Browser. Follow the instructions below to learn how to enable Javascript in your favorite Web-Browser - BLAH"
I'll simply close it and never come back to it again - on principle alone.

So, please, forget all that Javascript-things - in about 95% of the whole web it does not improve neither usability nor functionality. More likely, it just sucks.

Greetz

Shad

# 2:
Athlon XP M 2800+ Desktop edition (running on 1.666 and 100 FSB) [was: Duron 800 (Spitfire)], Via KT266, 512 MB SD-RAM, GeForce 3 64 MB, Sound onBoard
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: