View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Moving to Australia Reply with quote

G'Day mates and fellow gentooer's!!!

On the 13th of July I will sit on a airplane heading to Adelaide Australia. I will study at University of South Australia. I will study there for about 3 years, maybe more, but I will know that later on. So before I go I thought maybe some gentooer's from down-under can help me with a few questions. Even if you don't live in Australia and think you can contribute with some information then please do. Not gonna waste your time with boring reading so here comes the questions.

1. Internet connection
What ISP's would you recommend? I'v had a crappy ADSL connection for 2 years now and survived with it, so I don't mind the same thing there. But I will never consider any 56K or ISDN connection. Cable could be fine if the bandwidth is fair. Please post URL's to some Australian ISP's. Also if you know the prices depending on connection post them too.

2. Computer hardware
Naturally I will bring my PC to AUS. But I will leave the case in Sweden. Because the shipment from here to there is really expensive. So one of the first things I have to do is buy a case. Please post some good PC hardware online stores. If you know any stores in Adelaide post them too. Also if you are really on top of things, I'm looking for stores that sell Lian-Li cases :D

3. Cool shops
Know any cool shops I should know of in Adelaide? Souvenires, weird things, smoke shops, anime/manga, comics.

4. Clothes
I'm a street-clothes-type-of-guy. Meaning semi-baggy jeans, t-shirts that are long (not long as in down to the knees, but over avarage). Just to give you guys a hint, some favorite brands: Eckö, Tripple 5 Soul, Phat Farm, Aem'kei. Since I like to go to raves, surrender all your stores that sell rave/club related clothes.

5. Clubs and Raves
Drum & Bass is my religion and Jungle is my churche. So give me all your clubs/venues/raves that spin DnB/Jungle. I also like to go at psy-trance/goa raves, so give me them as well.

I'm at work at the moment, so if I come up with some more questions I'll add them later on. Note, my english dictionary is at home so sorry for the typos, I'm sure there are some :D

Thanks in advance! :D
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya mate,

I feel ur pain after moving here last year ;)

ok here we go

1)
If there is one thing that sucks here it is definetely broadband!!! here we have download quota and the prices are higher than in europe.
Avoid any plan with telstra they are evil.
Also avoid any of the comindico reseller unless u like port shaping and bandwith sharing...
I would go with a ISP that is on the connect network (they offer great services) or internode. I heard exetel is good also but i duno if they got it in SA.
Anyway go there --> broadband choice, u can find any ADSL plan. check their forums for more explanation ;)
Also get an ISP that is connected to PIPE , ull be able to download from local peers for free (gentoo rsync server for e.g.)

2)
here :) --> the best offers of oz online shops listed in one website!

3,4) dunno

5)I also like d'nbass and jungle but i cant help you with adelaide as i am far. Im not so sure how's night life over there but im sure ull meet the good people in ur uni ;) If you come to sydney i know a lot of cool places :D
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man :)

Without doubt, will I visit Sydney sooner or later. Can't come to AUS without seeing that beautiful city. So lets here some good clubs in Sydney. Then I will know what venue I should visit when I'm in Sydney.

Once again, thank you for the links.

EDIT: http://www.razorprices.com/ was indeed a great site, thanks! :D
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a few friends who are DJ and they randomly organise parties, when u come over PM me...
no worries for the links ;)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Australia Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:

On the 13th of July I will sit on a airplane heading to Adelaide Australia. I will study at University of South Australia. I will study there for about 3 years, maybe more, but I will know that later on. So before I go I thought maybe some gentooer's from down-under can help me with a few questions. Even if you don't live in Australia and think you can contribute with some information then please do. Not gonna waste your time with boring reading so here comes the questions.

Welcome, Im another one of those that moved over here to study. IM in Melbourne.

Quote:

What ISP's would you recommend? I'v had a crappy ADSL connection for 2 years now and survived with it, so I don't mind the same thing there. But I will never consider any 56K or ISDN connection. Cable could be fine if the bandwidth is fair. Please post URL's to some Australian ISP's. Also if you know the prices depending on connection post them too.

Swiftel DSL connection is good, I use it, and never had a problem. They even send sms messages to my mobile if theres a problem on the line somewhere.
www.swiftdsl.com.au
But be prepared that internet here is not as fast as in lets say europe. ADSL 1500/256 is the best you can get here right now.

Quote:

Naturally I will bring my PC to AUS. But I will leave the case in Sweden. Because the shipment from here to there is really expensive. So one of the first things I have to do is buy a case. Please post some good PC hardware online stores. If you know any stores in Adelaide post them too. Also if you are really on top of things, I'm looking for stores that sell Lian-Li cases :D

www.computermarket.com.au for online shopping, and visit this webpage:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=131657#r8

Quote:

Know any cool shops I should know of in Adelaide? Souvenires, weird things, smoke shops, anime/manga, comics.

Sorry, cant help on this one.

Quote:

I'm a street-clothes-type-of-guy. Meaning semi-baggy jeans, t-shirts that are long (not long as in down to the knees, but over avarage). Just to give you guys a hint, some favorite brands: Eckö, Tripple 5 Soul, Phat Farm, Aem'kei. Since I like to go to raves, surrender all your stores that sell rave/club related clothes.

Visit the shopping malls, you'll find most stuff you need there. I buy most of my clothing in Mayer.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys. I'm sitting at work checking out the links you provided. Didn't know there were so many ISP's in AUS. Seems to me there are many options. Which doesn't have to be a good thing. Always hard to pick one when there are so many, also it takes a lot of time checking up everyone.

petrjanda
Didn't know you were in AUS, since it says Brno, Czech Republic under you nick :D I take it you moved there to study. May I ask what you are studying and how the life is treating you there? Since you are not a native.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:

petrjanda
Didn't know you were in AUS, since it says Brno, Czech Republic under you nick :D I take it you moved there to study. May I ask what you are studying and how the life is treating you there? Since you are not a native.

[/quote]
I finnished last 3 years of High School, now Im in a university studying computers and related technologies. Life is pretty good, worst thing of all are the distances from one place to another. Without a car, a person is lost.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I'm f***g 23 years old and I don't have a drivers license, a real shame :x So public transportation there is no good?

By the way. I was looking at ISP's @ http://whirlpool.net.au and to my surprise I dind't find the prices there too much expensive. Only bad thing was that most ISP's use a download/upload limit, and those who didn't were very expensive. You already said you got swiftDSL and were happy with their service. Got any experience with other ISP's? Or somebody you know there who use a diferent ISP and shared their experience with you?

Edit: http://www.iblue.com.au For example have good plans. $99.95 /month, speed: 1500/256, dl/ul limit: No limit. I don't find that price that expensive.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:
Ouch! I'm f***g 23 years old and I don't have a drivers license, a real shame :x So public transportation there is no good?

In Melbourne we have trains and buses, and trams in downtown. But you can get around on public transport, but it can become an issue if you have to travel everyday. I got my licence just a couple of months ago :)

Quote:

By the way. I was looking at ISP's @ http://whirlpool.net.au and to my surprise I dind't find the prices there too much expensive. Only bad thing was that most ISP's use a download/upload limit, and those who didn't were very expensive. You already said you got swiftDSL and were happy with their service. Got any experience with other ISP's? Or somebody you know there who use a diferent ISP and shared their experience with you?

Yes bandwidth is expensive in Australia, that's why they put limits on. Imho, you should go with one of these:

#1 Internode
#2 iiNet
#3 BigPond Cable
#4 Netspace
#5 OptusNet Cable
#6 Swiftel
#7 WestNet
#8 TPG Internet
#9 DART Internet
#10 Exetel

These are trusted, and they seem to be most popular. Personally, I wouldn't go with iblue, and thats because Ive never heared of them anything spectacular.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Australia Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:

1. Internet connection

2. Computer hardware

Well I can help you with those two. 1 go sign up for overclockers.com.au forums so you can read there forums from there they have just about every single online retailer in australia for computer parts!

Second Go with Telstra and get DSL or Cable. Reason I say go with telstra and others may argue but its a simple fact.

At this current time there is only one ISP and that is Telstra all the other ISP 3rd party vend from telstra. I tried that 3rd party vend for a while but found that the internet was down so much i was using dialup more than DSL. reason for it being down was the ISP i had at the time had to be contacted by you then they contact telstra then telstra fixes it. There is a extra chain in the link not needed. You will be much happy with Telstra vs 3rd party vend trust me on this one :)

DSL
http://bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/adsl/

Cable
http://bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/cable/

Thats my advice anyway.

BTW telstra "bigpond" has it to where your not charged if you go over your limit they just slow it. I would rather have that than a 5000$ internet bill like i have heard of others having :)

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Bohemian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very, very, very lucky, make sure you take pictures and send them to me :)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Australia Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:
semiSfear wrote:

1. Internet connection

2. Computer hardware

Well I can help you with those two. 1 go sign up for overclockers.com.au forums so you can read there forums from there they have just about every single online retailer in australia for computer parts!

Second Go with Telstra and get DSL or Cable. Reason I say go with telstra and others may argue but its a simple fact.

At this current time there is only one ISP and that is Telstra all the other ISP 3rd party vend from telstra. I tried that 3rd party vend for a while but found that the internet was down so much i was using dialup more than DSL. reason for it being down was the ISP i had at the time had to be contacted by you then they contact telstra then telstra fixes it. There is a extra chain in the link not needed. You will be much happy with Telstra vs 3rd party vend trust me on this one :)

DSL

Cable

Thats my advice anyway.

BTW telstra "bigpond" has it to where your not charged if you go over your limit they just slow it. I would rather have that than a 5000$ internet bill like i have heard of others having :)

Well sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, but I disagree. I would say its even a misleading post (are you a Telstra employee?) Most ISPs have nothing to do with Telstra, except the fact that they gotta use their telephone lines. I agree that there is a number of bad ISPs in Australia, but those that I listed are premium ISPs. In fact, _most_ faults are Telstra faults, which occur somewhere on the line, it's not the ISP's fault. ISP's fault would be inability to buy more bandwidth, or just not having a proper network technician in case of a bad ISP anyway. I think you just had bad luck.
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt go with telstra. It is true that they do own the network (come on iinet ....) but they are sharks. their plans really are a rip off compare with others. plus many other ISP's have way better customer support and services. If you are interested in having a static IP, no port blocking, the right to run a home webserver DO NOT go with them...
And btw to SlicerDicer, I also got shape down to 128k after i go over my limit and i do not pay extra.
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool shops - definately check out Hindley Street, in the centre of Adelaide, its packed full of odd shops and good bars, I have many happy memories of wasting my time there :lol:
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:
Many thanks guys. I'm sitting at work checking out the links you provided. Didn't know there were so many ISP's in AUS. Seems to me there are many options. Which doesn't have to be a good thing. Always hard to pick one when there are so many, also it takes a lot of time checking up everyone.

petrjanda

I know what you mean :) it sucks.... Another advice is to avoid unlimited plan. I was once on DART unlimited and it was fine gfor a few month but finally got unusable due to too many leechers... Anyway im still with DART but with a limited plan now :) the network is just way better and my quota is still very high (48G 512/128) and that is almost unlimited to me as i dun even use that much... I even think of getting a smaller plan now(or a faster one :)) . It was a hight risk for DART taking the decision to go to unlimited. An the consequence show that limited plans are just safer IMOH. dun get tempted ;)
dangle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey welcome to Adelaide! I moved here 3 years ago from Melbourne and love it.

Internode, as far as I'm concerned, are far and away the best quality ISP around. www.internode.on.net In Adelaide particularly, their service is spot on, their plans are competitive and they're super-reliable AND they have a gentoo mirror :)

Get yourself a subscription to Atomic magazine www.atomicmpc.com.au (or just get one issue when you hit the airport) for all the best hardware suppliers, including lian-li cases and goodies.

UniSA is right in the CBD, close to all the best shopping and stuff - Rundle Mall, Rundle St, Hindley St are all worth hanging around.

Free street press includes Rip it Up www.ripitup.com.au, dB Magazine www.dbmagazine.com.au and one that would probably tell you everything club that you need to know - Onion Magazine www.onion.com.au. You can pick these up from any decent CD shop (and even the crap ones!)

Public transport in Adelaide is actually pretty good - specially if you're based near the Uni. Adelaide itself isn't really that large a city, so if you get yourself a pushbike (and a damn good lock) it's even cheaper.

I really hope you enjoy your time here :) It's a pretty laid-back city, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here was that people actually *smile* in public! OH and the beaches are fantastic :D

Best Wishes!

Oops, just wanted to add that I'm on the Internode 512/128 shaped plan - 12 GB included (no upload limits and the gentoo mirror isn't metered, nether are the game servers) shaped after that based on usage, but never below 5.6k dialup speeds. Costs me $AU60/month
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Australia Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:

DSL

Cable

Thats my advice anyway.

overclockers.com.au sounds familiar, think I might have seen links to it from other PC hardware review sites.

The whole Telstra thing also sounds familiar. Here in Sweden there is actually only 1 ISP, and that is Telia. You could go with others for example Tele2 or TeleNordia (if they are still around). Reason is that all the other ISP's are hiring Telias network, including phoneline. Still most of the 3rd party ISP's here are much cheaper than Telia, even thou they are hiring from Telias network. Luckely Sweden got a new broadband ISP with it's own fibre network. But not all areas are connected to it. Maybe some day they will. Anyway, thanks for the tip, but the whole Telstra business seems to be the exact way things work here. So I think I'll go with a 3d party ISP. Thats why I would like feedbacks from users who used other 3rd party ISP's, so I'll know which are most reliable.

Corky wrote:
Cool shops - definately check out Hindley Street, in the centre of Adelaide, its packed full of odd shops and good bars, I have many happy memories of wasting my time there

Aha! Adding that to my notes document. Trying to write down a summary document filled with facts about living in Australia.

merlinBSD wrote:
I know what you mean it sucks.... Another advice is to avoid unlimited plan. I was once on DART unlimited and it was fine gfor a few month but finally got unusable due to too many leechers... Anyway im still with DART but with a limited plan now the network is just way better and my quota is still very high (48G 512/128) and that is almost unlimited to me as i dun even use that much... I even think of getting a smaller plan now(or a faster one ) . It was a hight risk for DART taking the decision to go to unlimited. An the consequence show that limited plans are just safer IMOH. dun get tempted

I see your point.. I'm just really used to unlimited plans since that is the only option in Sweden. To be honest, when I was looking at http://whirlpool.net.au and their plan searcher I got a small shock that most plans was using a dl/ul limit. Guess I'll just have to accept that fact. Roughly I download about 20GB per month on a 512 ADSL line (note I have no idea how much is beeing dloaded from me, so you can add atleast 10GB to the total). Thinking about going with a plan that includes either 15GB or 20GB limit per month.

dangle wrote:
Hey welcome to Adelaide! I moved here 3 years ago from Melbourne and love it.

Internode, as far as I'm concerned, are far and away the best quality ISP around. www.internode.on.net In Adelaide particularly, their service is spot on, their plans are competitive and they're super-reliable AND they have a gentoo mirror

Get yourself a subscription to Atomic magazine www.atomicmpc.com.au (or just get one issue when you hit the airport) for all the best hardware suppliers, including lian-li cases and goodies.

UniSA is right in the CBD, close to all the best shopping and stuff - Rundle Mall, Rundle St, Hindley St are all worth hanging around.

Free street press includes Rip it Up www.ripitup.com.au, dB Magazine www.dbmagazine.com.au and one that would probably tell you everything club that you need to know - Onion Magazine www.onion.com.au. You can pick these up from any decent CD shop (and even the crap ones!)

Public transport in Adelaide is actually pretty good - specially if you're based near the Uni. Adelaide itself isn't really that large a city, so if you get yourself a pushbike (and a damn good lock) it's even cheaper.

I really hope you enjoy your time here It's a pretty laid-back city, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here was that people actually *smile* in public! OH and the beaches are fantastic

Best Wishes!

Oops, just wanted to add that I'm on the Internode 512/128 shaped plan - 12 GB included (no upload limits and the gentoo mirror isn't metered, nether are the game servers) shaped after that based on usage, but never below 5.6k dialup speeds. Costs me $AU60/month

Sweet. Just what I was looking for! Australian based DnB magazines. Thanks. I'v heard great things about the DnB scene in AUS. Specially after the whole Concord Dawn and Pendulum boom.

Most of the people I'v talked to that have been in Australia say that Adelaide is a boring town/city :wink: But they compare to Sydney. Reason why I choose Adelaide was because UniSA's art & design programs were highly reommended compared to other universities. I was supposed to study Bachelor of Arts Visual Communication, but for some weird reason UniSA changed mid-semester intake for that program. Since I don't wan't to wait till February next year I changed program to Bachelor of Arts Multimedia studies.

CBD? What is that? My home campus will be at Magill. After looking at the campus map Magill is north-east from the central.

I got another question that I discussed with a couple of my friends with yesterday. Do australians use the metric system, or do you use that old crap with inch and feet (sorry but I really hate the other system, it's just so stupid, in my oppinion it should be banned or something).

EDIT: Sorry but what does this actually mean
Quote:
Data travelling through peering services is charged
Can't find any descent answer on whirlpool either.
dangle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CBD? What is that? My home campus will be at Magill. After looking at the campus map Magill is north-east from the central.

CBD=Central Business District - the city itself, as opposed to the suburbs. Magill isn't too far from the city, nice suburb :)

We most definately use the metric system, [flamebait]apart from a few old-timers who have trouble counting on their fingers[/flamebait] so you'll not have to worry about doing conversions all the time :)
Quote:
EDIT: Sorry but what does this actually mean
Quote:
Data travelling through peering services is charged

I believe it means that all traffic is charged, as opposed to some ISPs which offer free traffic via certain networks - I may well have this completely wrong :)

Later!
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright! It's Tuesdy and I'll be flying in a few hours. Just wanted to drop by one last time before I go and say thank you, to all you guys who helped me with usefull information. Once again.. Thank you :D

Cheers!
radonsg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that broadband in aus sucks due to the "Big Bro Company" TELSTRA for capping the high sum of $ one need to pay for using bb. This forces all the ISP in aus have to do it cos, they rent the infrastructure from Telstra. Why don't the government pls do something to improve the suitation?

PS: Think the governement has quite a no. of share on the company. Company make more $$$ = they get more $$$$ ?????? Who knows ????
2 x 512MB TwinMos DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce 5200
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had good luck with 3rd party vend EVER!! so i say fuck them. no need to use a middle man personally :)

And no I am not a telstra employee. 3rd party vend I found to be more expensive IMO for the wasted time as I said my broadband was down so much I had to use dialup. Hell using IR and GPRS to browse the web was more reliable than the ISP i had lame sauce. never again.

radonsg wrote:
I will say that broadband in aus sucks due to the "Big Bro Company" TELSTRA for capping the high sum of $ one need to pay for using bb. This forces all the ISP in aus have to do it cos, they rent the infrastructure from Telstra. Why don't the government pls do something to improve the suitation?

PS: Think the governement has quite a no. of share on the company. Company make more $$$ = they get more $$$$ ?????? Who knows ????

Telstra is 51% goverment owned and they call the shots.

Telstra makes the most profit per capita of any fone company in the world. keep those in mind

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semiSfear wrote:
Allright! It's Tuesdy and I'll be flying in a few hours. Just wanted to drop by one last time before I go and say thank you, to all you guys who helped me with usefull information. Once again.. Thank you :D

Cheers!

Welcome to Telstra land :twisted:
Valhlalla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm I'm too late to mention that a computer case can usually be taken as carry on luggage, I moved my pc from Canada to Aus as carry on.

P.S. Telstra is EVIL!
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck 'mate' :wink:
radonsg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye, i bought my pc to aus too. But remember to remove the harddisk & carry as hand luggage else ......
Keep in mind the voltage different, don't fried your PSU when u plug in & turn on.

GD Luck mate. No worries. :lol:
2 x 512MB TwinMos DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce 5200
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: