Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'm thinking of buying an MSI K8N Platinum - a good idea?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgbtxus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: I'm thinking of buying an MSI K8N Platinum - a good idea? Reply with quote

From the posts I've read it looks like the MSI K8N Platinum (nForce3 based) might be a good choice given its OC potential vis-a-via the K8T800 based boards. It also looks like all the nForce3 drivers (gigabit lan, sound) might not be ready for prime time. Can anyone with actual experience with this board (or others that you think might be better) give me the benefit of your experience.

TIA
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m looking to switch to nf3-250 to see if I can OC a little higher but that is my only reason.
As far as th MSI board goes results so far seem to indicate it is not a very good OC´er. Besides having the memory ontop of the CPU does not float my boat.
I am looking more seriously at the Epox board.
Note a fresh install on a nf3 could be difficult if you where wanting to use SATA , since you will need at least kernel 2.6.7-bk6.
Gherald2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM above the CPU is not an issue, I tested this by rotating one of my K8N systems 90 degrees clockwise for a few hours and comparing temps (finger test).

Of course, I am only running a meager 210mhz FSB at default multiplier and voltages... if you're an extreme OCer perhaps you could run into problems.

My other K8N system was interesting because it's in a Lian-Li PC-Vxx00 series case and they are 180 degrees backwards. So the memory ended up being on the bottom of the HSF! It's quite humorous, actually; wish I had a camera.

But it certainly is a great layout. Out of the ~30 or so motherboard models I've worked with this one is definately the best.

My only qualm with it is the proximity of the northbridge to the AGP slot. If you're goint to relace the puny northbridge sink with a taller one, as I did on my boards, you'll need to first make certain your AGP card fits because there's not much room to work with.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: