View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: "Skinning" gaim with KDE styles. Reply with quote

Is it possible to apply the selected KDE style to applications like gaim that seem to use a different set of widgets?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, no. Only things that use kde/qt widgets are affected by KDE styles. Gaim uses gtk (or gtk2 maybe, not sure), so it needs a corresponding theme. There is the redhat-artwork which includes matching themes for kde and gtk. You can use gtk-theme-switch to select it (obvously, you'd have to emerge redhat-artwork and gtk-theme-switch to do that). Oh, and gtk-theme-switch has two versions, one for gtk and one for gtk2 - it's slotted so both can be installed.

I'm hoping that somebody out there is working on a keramik clone theme for gtk and gtk2, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe that's my purpose in life...
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I emerged the various things related to gtk themes and I've run the tool switch2 to let me select a new theme. I've got plenty to choose from after emerging them, and I picked one that's fitting.

However, even though this small switch2 applet is affected by the change (if i rerun it, it's skinned correctly), gaim continues to be unaffected, even if I restart it.

Is gaim indeed using GTK?
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OdinsDream wrote:
Ok. I emerged the various things related to gtk themes and I've run the tool switch2 to let me select a new theme. I've got plenty to choose from after emerging them, and I picked one that's fitting.

However, even though this small switch2 applet is affected by the change (if i rerun it, it's skinned correctly), gaim continues to be unaffected, even if I restart it.

Is gaim indeed using GTK?

Yes gaim is using GTK, but it is not using GTK2. The switch2 application only affects the theming of GTK2 apps. Try emerging version 1.0.1 of gtk-theme-switch.
Code:
emerge /usr/portage/x11-themes/gtk-theme-switch/gtk-theme-switch-1.0.1.ebuild
That one will change the themes on GTK1 apps, like gaim and gimp.

2002 Nethack Tournament -- 317th runner-up http://nethack.devnull.net/
redmantis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: yes its using gtk Reply with quote

it uses gtk 1.2 not 2.0 hence the switch2...try just getting getting gtk-switch it worked for me! ;)

i could be wrong with the gtk version but that is your problem. I had the same one but with the first version of switch (not switch2) I now have a gaim that looks like the rest of my desktop. oh and you also have to make sure your theme also works in gtk1.2 not just gtk2, gtk2 themes will not work with switch.

for instance I am using the Bluecurve themes. and they work quite nicely! imho

themes for gtk1.2/gtk2/kde/metacity .etc ;)
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i just added gtk2 to the USE variables, and followed the steps in the "new gaim ebuild" thread to get the latest CVS sources compiled.

The new gaim uses gtk2 and is now skinnable with switch2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: