Installing on Old PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Installing on Old PC Reply with quote

I'm sort of a linux newbie. I've messed with it a few times and have a fairly good knowledge of Unix from college and messing with Solaris machines. I've looked at Gentoo and really like what it has to offer. But I'm afraid my 133Mhz pc won't handle the CPU intensive distribution. I've also looked at Slackware and LinuxFromScratch. I'm sure the LinuxFromScratch distribution would help me learn a lot, but I think I'm too much of a newbie to handle that. Can my 133Mhz 48MB RAM computer handle Gentoo? Because I agree with most everyone in the forum. Gentoo is a great distribution and I'd really like to try it. Let me know...thanks.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably install it on that system. I've personally installed on a couple systems similar (P133 and P100 with 64M of ram), I've heard that it's been installed with just 24M of RAM, though it required a several hoops to be lept through. Starting with a stage3 tarball will save you some time. Be sure it's got enough HD space (I'd recommend 2 gigs, 1.5 is probably a minimum).
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've download the UTLiveCD to do the install. But I will not have an internet connection to do the install. Is it still possible to do the install without a connection?

Also...can you explain what you mean by starting with stage 3?

Thanks for the help.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo without an internet connection is not easy. Also, you should probably read through the install instructions before starting the install - they'll explain what stage2, stage3, etc. are. The install is somewhat involved, so you'll want to be familiar with the procedure (and ideally, have it printed out) before starting.
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I upgraded this computer to 64MB Ram and 8 Gig HD. So I'm good on the hardware now, but still using the 133Mhz processor.

I know the LiveCD does not come with stage2 and 3. But if I downloaded those stages and burned them on the same CD. Would I still need to be connected to the internet?

Also...the current HD has NT Server on it. Can I start with stage 3 on this HD or will I need to start from scratch with stage1?

Thanks.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webhawg wrote:
I know the LiveCD does not come with stage2 and 3. But if I downloaded those stages and burned them on the same CD. Would I still need to be connected to the internet?

You will need two more things - a portage tree snapshot (you can get these from here), and a set of kernel sources - just grabbing a vanilla kernel from a mirror of http://kernel.org would work. Unpack the portage tree in /usr/portage, and the kernel sources in /usr/src/linux, and you should be able to get through the initial installation without an internet connection.

Quote:
Also...the current HD has NT Server on it. Can I start with stage 3 on this HD or will I need to start from scratch with stage1?

You can start with any stage you wish.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: