View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks... theres something very not cosher... i used JUST the portage defaults, fresh stage, emerge patch && emerge -C linux-headers && emerge linux26-headers

then fire up bootstrap-cascade.sh

The bootstrap makes it thru gcc and glibc

but fails on ncurses. Tre annoying? just a little. but someone's gotta break it first

Here's the error i get from ncurses

Code:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/test'
cd misc && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/misc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/misc'
cd c++ && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/c++'
cd ../obj_s;   -I../c++ -I../include -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include  -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -march=athlon -O3 -pipe -fPIC -fPIC -c ../c++/cursesf.cc
/bin/sh: line 1: -I../c++: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [../obj_s/cursesf.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/c++'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 79, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

livecd portage #

Compile long and Prosper!
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok after some more bootstrap research and help from rac i may have a solution to the bootstrap failures... i'll post an update shortly
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootstrap-cascade.sh has never failed for me and I decided to give a try (spare partition, for testing purposes :P) It failed on ncurses...I'm bootstrapping now with linux26-headers that are emerged with USE="-* build bootstrap", I'll post results soon...

EDIT: It failed :| I saw somewhere in the forums that running "gcc-config <CHOST>-3.4.2" could help...So I did "gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2" and started bootstrapping again...Let's hope the best :P

...Allright, it passed! :)

Last edited by Deranger on Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
zehnan1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I also tried with gcc3.4 after ncurses error. Only I didnt bootstrap again. I reemerged ncurses - it passed. I hope nothing is missing because of that.

regards,
Marko
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to install gentoo with your tutorial. But the elitminds.com links to the config files don't work. Could you help me?
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane's strategy worked for me, too: I put a gcc-config line switching to 3.4.2 in bootstrap-cascade.sh, right after it emerges gcc, and the bootstrap succeeded where it had failed to find c++.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's better method than that...BEFORE bootstrapping do "emerge --oneshot --nodeps gcc && gcc-config 2 && source /etc/profile"

Then you can bootstrap and it passes 8)

With this method, you don't have to bootstrap twice, just emerge GCC twice ;)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are trying to fix it, but the fix is only halfway there and borks. It tries to set up gcc-3.4.2 its not quit there yet as it only does gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu- If your wondering it leaves off the version #. As mentioned above you can either emerge gcc first or put this into bootstrap-cascade.sh <youll find it at end of the script>
"gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2 && source /etc/profile".
Code:

# Basic support for gcc multi version/arch scheme ...
if [ -n "${STRAP_RUN}" ]; then
   if test -x ${GCC_CONFIG} &>/dev/null && \
      ${GCC_CONFIG} --get-current-profile &>/dev/null
   then
      # Make sure we get the old gcc unmerged ...
      emerge clean || cleanup 1
      # Make sure the profile and /lib/cpp and /usr/bin/cc are valid ...
      ${GCC_CONFIG} "`${GCC_CONFIG} --get-current-profile`" &>/dev/null
       gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2 && source /etc/profile
   fi
fi

This will work even with the current borkage.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after borking my system looking for a good install guide, i decided to take a chance and use your guide. i followed everything in your first post to a T, and later while installing i read through some of the other posts seeing how your guide has developed. without anything but what was in your first post, my system has bootstrapped and emerged system and all the other goodies properly. i had no errors or stop except once when i had to download manually the java documentation, which i just skipped and continued from where it was at.

currently i am installing xorg and kde after my reboot.

the only probs i had was that the eliteitminds.com site is down, but that was no big deal because i just did those parts myself.

CFLAGS were -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

athlon xp 3000+ here

all i have to say is GREAT work. this is gonna be one nasty beast once its all done.

i dont know what problems you guys had happening, but i had none here obviously

the only question i have, is after reading the last posts here, is that i wanna know if by following your instructions, did i truly achieve what this guide was going for, or not? the last few posts seem to say otherwise, at least that is how i am reading into it.

-Feld
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
after borking my system looking for a good install guide, i decided to take a chance and use your guide. i followed everything in your first post to a T, and later while installing i read through some of the other posts seeing how your guide has developed. without anything but what was in your first post, my system has bootstrapped and emerged system and all the other goodies properly. i had no errors or stop except once when i had to download manually the java documentation, which i just skipped and continued from where it was at.

currently i am installing xorg and kde after my reboot.

the only probs i had was that the eliteitminds.com site is down, but that was no big deal because i just did those parts myself.

CFLAGS were -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

athlon xp 3000+ here

all i have to say is GREAT work. this is gonna be one nasty beast once its all done.

i dont know what problems you guys had happening, but i had none here obviously

the only question i have, is after reading the last posts here, is that i wanna know if by following your instructions, did i truly achieve what this guide was going for, or not? the last few posts seem to say otherwise, at least that is how i am reading into it.

-Feld

I'm glad to hear about a new success story... if your bootstrap didn't halt with any c++ errors.. quite possibly. I find that emerging sysfsutils is a good method to determine if your toolchain did properly link. The gcc method searches during compile usually tell the tale. However your running kde and thats what counts :D
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston. wrote:
I'd like to install gentoo with your tutorial. But the elitminds.com links to the config files don't work. Could you help me?

My apolologies for the non working mirror links... My previous mirror sponsor is dealing with a divorce and couldnt afford to keep up the payments. I've been given an update regarding the hardware my new mirror will be running however. The owners of Networkidl have offered to sponsor colocating a dual emt64 with 1.5TB of sata raid5 and 2gb of ram from what i've been informed from the powers that be :wink:
Until the server is operational my mirror will be down. You can use any of the other mirror servers listed on the official gentoo linux mirror listing
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a new oneliner for everyone wishing to try out the new cascading profiles and the suggested method Oktane has for ensuring gcc will switch profiles before bootstrap =] Appreciate the assistance Oktane :)

Code:
rm /etc/make.profile && ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.2 /etc/make.profile && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge patch && emerge -C linux-headers && USE="-* build bootstrap" emerge linux26-headers && emerge --oneshot --nodeps gcc && gcc-config 2 && source /etc/profile && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootstrap-cascade.sh

Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around with my test-partition and found that new glibc has two nptl related USE-flags... (nptl and nptlonly)

I compiled glibc with USE="ntpl" and then did /lib/libc.so.6, it outputs linuxthreads instead of NPTL. Then I recompiled it with USE="nptl nptlonly" and /lib/libc.so.6 outputs NPTL.

Everything I know, if you don't specify USE="nptlonly" it uses linuxthreads as a fallback (someone told me that on #gentoo @ freenode)

Anyway, if you want to build fully NPTL fueled system, you need to emerge glibc with USE="nptl nptlonly"

Just my 2 cents :)
Digital Storm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'm correct..

Compiling glibc with the use flags of "nptl" and "nptlonly" will compile in nptl support and only nptl support which means glibc won't be compiled twice (once for nptl and again for original linux headers).
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
I messed around with my test-partition and found that new glibc has two nptl related USE-flags... (nptl and nptlonly)

I compiled glibc with USE="ntpl" and then did /lib/libc.so.6, it outputs linuxthreads instead of NPTL. Then I recompiled it with USE="nptl nptlonly" and /lib/libc.so.6 outputs NPTL.

Everything I know, if you don't specify USE="nptlonly" it uses linuxthreads as a fallback (someone told me that on #gentoo @ freenode)

Anyway, if you want to build fully NPTL fueled system, you need to emerge glibc with USE="nptl nptlonly"

Just my 2 cents :)

Just a word of caution... i _think_ some programs may still require usage of pthreads. I was personally aware of the nptlonly use flag however after trying to recompile glibc to only build the nptl threading libraries this particular system had a bit of a spaz attack :lol: For anyone considering recompiling glibc with no pthreads fallback you may be in for a rough ride. This is something that would be worthy for more testing to see how things react with absolutely no pthreads libraries.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For anyone considering recompiling glibc with no pthreads fallback you may be in for a rough ride.

Ehm, don't look at me, I have USE="nptl nptlonly" compiled glibc on my non-testing system too :lol:

No problems so far! :P

Quote:

Hopefully I'm correct..

Compiling glibc with the use flags of "nptl" and "nptlonly" will compile in nptl support and only nptl support which means glibc won't be compiled twice (once for nptl and again for original linux headers).

You're almost correct. It compiles once with NPTL support and another spin for linuxthreads (pthreading) but it still uses 2.6 headers. You shouldn't have "original" (2.4) headers in your system :D

Last edited by Deranger on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

added cascading profiles, gensplash, grub skinning, cleaned up grub install section, added oktane p0wa to the oneliner 8)
Nitey nite folks More soon.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the sweetest tutorial on the planet!

I'll have to try out that GRUB skin, but I don't start playing with gensplash :) I've never used framebuffer and actually vesafb-tng is b0rked in nitro-sources :lol:
Quote:

* Vesafb-tng and/or fbsplash are still broken. If anyone knows how to fix this, let me know

Last edited by Deranger on Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to ali3nx. Just emerged gcc twice and it worked fine. Did this on software raid0 and things are rocking along nicely. :)
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the workability of this with AMD64? It would be awfully nice to have nptl, udev and 64 bit Gentoo :)
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robet wrote:
Any word on the workability of this with AMD64? It would be awfully nice to have nptl, udev and 64 bit Gentoo :)

Yeah, it should work, why not? Just like ali3nx said in previous page:
ali3nx wrote:
Thanks.... my collegue Davetha from the amd64 herd has tried it and it's fairly similar... Just make some adjustments where an amd64 would be appropriate. I would go into greater detail but i haven't had my morning coffee yet :lol:

He did get 570 Frames Per second from his K8V Deluxe in UT2004-demo for amd64. Mind you he also changed the symlinks from the UT2lk4 libraries to "optimized, compiled" ones for an amd64 8)
canadian_psyko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the install.

I don't know yet if it worked, I did the entire thing through ssh/screen about a 20 min drive from my house.

There were a couple issues with the one-liner though.

emerge patch (errored for some reason, took it out)
gcc-config 2 (not valid syntax apparently, took it out)
emerge reiser4progs (could find files)
some of the rc-updates (grub, syslog-ng, xinetd, hotplug didnt work, had to emerge them)

Other than that, it's good :D

Hopeully it's running when I get home.

Not bad (IMO) for basicly a newb.

Now to decide what else I want/need

Cam
Athlon 1.4/512mb

Eternally breaking stuff.
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-config 2 should switch the chroot's running/operational gcc to the gcc that was compiled... if there's a problem with it switching perhaps something changed in the last couple days yet again...
The developers love to keep me on my toes :lol:
as you can see in the code section below the numbers relate to the versions of gcc that are in use or available in the system. I no longer use the stage installed version of gcc which cannot compile c++ or any version previous to 3.4.2 so my version i wish to use would be #1
The stages are different as the version thats installed would be number 1 and would be possibly labelled i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4 which is compiled to run on anything. Once gcc-config 2 executes in the oneliner that version would be rendered dormant and the new version would be used. The asterisk designates the in use version currently selected as non-dormant in your system. If your getting an error when it executes i'm certainly curious why. It could be that the dev's may have changed or updated something. Any information regarding your gcc-config -l output and emerge info on the system would be unseful. It would also be a good idea to ensure you chrooted correctly and that proc was properly mounted into the chroot that your installing into.

Code:
gateway ~ # gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-hardenednossp

Last edited by ali3nx on Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to rebuild my system again. The bootstrap-cascade.sh bootstraps but does it with gcc-3.3.3.
Code:

tester ~ # gcc-config -l
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.3
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.3 *
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-hardened
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-hardenednossp

This is of course as of Monday so who knows about today. I didnt try any fancey stuff besides the required ( if you want linux26-headers ) "emerge --oneshot linux26-headers && emerge -C linux-headers"

Oh if you're using ssh to build or log in on another system be careful. I accidently shutdown my x-term window instead of mc in the ssh window. I could no longer log in as root and and if I tryied to chroot to that partion I got segfault. If I went to my /opt partion where I have gentoo for testing bootstrap and such chroot worked fine. SO I had to mkfs.ext3 "/" :( and rebuild.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<removed>

Last edited by Deranger on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: