Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
So instead of doing a bootstrap you
Code:

emerge --oneshot glibc binutils gcc    > for a regular, non ~x86
 <Do this for ~x86 if you want nptl>
emerge -C linux-headers && emerge --oneshot linux26-headers && emerge --oneshot glibc binutils gcc
 <Then both groups do this>
 emerge system -e

The first line replaces bootstrap. Its is building your toolchain. Then by
running "emerge -e system" rebuilds your toolchain and everything else to a
twice built toolchain and your USE and CFLAGES.
So the new super duper one liner would look like this.
Code:

env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge --oneshot --nodeps gcc-config &&  USE="-* build bootstrap" emerge linux26-headers &&  emerge --oneshot glibc binutils gcc && emerge -e system && emerge syslog-ng xinetd grub hotplug coldplug vixie-cron reiserfsprogs reiser4progs  sysfsutils udev dhcpcd && emerge --nodeps acpid ntp && rc-update add syslog-ng default && rc-update add net.eth0 default && rc-update add vixie-cron default && rc-update add xinetd default && rc-update add sshd default && rc-update add hotplug default && rc-update add coldplug default && rc-update add acpid default

I noticed that emerge info for a athlon xp stage 3 says that linux 2.4 headers are installed. So you'll have to do
Code:
emerge -C linux-headers
before
Code:
USE="-* build bootstrap" emerge linux26-headers

No problems so far... I'm now compiling gcc 3.4.3 as part of the emerge -e system. ;-)

<OT question>I noticed "emerge -e system" emerges 97 packages in all compared to "emerge system" in a stage 1 install with the same USE flags, which emerges only about 70 packages max. Any ideas why?</OT question>
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
I noticed that emerge info for a athlon xp stage 3 says that linux 2.4 headers are installed. So you'll have to do
Code:
emerge -C linux-headers
before
Code:

No problems so far... I'm now compiling gcc 3.4.3 as part of the emerge -e system. ;-)

<OT question>I noticed "emerge -e system" emerges 97 packages in all compared to "emerge system" in a stage 1 install with the same USE flags, which emerges only about 70 packages max. Any ideas why?</OT question>

USE="-* build bootstrap" is reduntant in this case (as far as I know...), I just emerged linux26-headers without any cmdline USE-flags.

-e stands for --emptytree, it "forgets" all installed packages and installs them again ;)
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:
Code:
emerge -C linux-headers
before
Code:

USE="-* build bootstrap" is reduntant in this case (as far as I know...), I just emerged linux26-headers without any cmdline USE-flags.

-e stands for --emptytree, it "forgets" all installed packages and installs them again ;)

"emerge -e system" just emerged linux26-headers all over again for the 2nd time. :-) Maybe this is why the first "emerge linux26-headers" is unnecessary now.

<OT>I'm wondering where the tree for a stage 1 "emerge system" comes from... I thought it'd be empty and hence "emerge system" on stage 1 would be the same as "emerge -e system" on a stage 3.</OT>
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:

"emerge -e system" just emerged linux26-headers all over again for the 2nd time. :-) Maybe this is why the first "emerge linux26-headers" is unnecessary now.

No, it's not unnecessary. You need to unmerge linux-headers and emerge linux26-headers before proceeding or NPTL build will fuck up.

Like I said, emerge -e system recompiles everything again...
kimchi_sg wrote:

<OT>I'm wondering where the tree for a stage 1 "emerge system" comes from... I thought it'd be empty and hence "emerge system" on stage 1 would be the same as "emerge -e system" on a stage 3.</OT>

Read that "A more robust installation method" thread and you'll understand ;)
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
No, it's not unnecessary. You need to unmerge linux-headers and emerge linux26-headers before proceeding or NPTL build will fuck up.

Correct.

If you have no linux headers at all (don't have linux-headers or linux26-headers) when you do "emerge system" it will automatically install linux-headers. And in an NPTL build you want linux26-headers, not linux-headers so this will screw everything up.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1.5th* stage3 install result so far (still compiling sysfsutils): no snafus, emerge -e system all went well. ;-)

And as Oktane said, there's no need to specify USE="-* build bootstrap" right before emerge linux26-headers. What joy. :-)

*1.5th install: cos i messed up grub install on the first try.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just going through this on p3 that i am setting up as server, downloaded make.conf from 1st post which is helpful but bot does it have a lot of USE=" entries.

What ones do i need for this install method to work? I know i will need ones specific to what i want to server to do:

apache2
php
mysql

etc

and know i will need

ntpl

but do i really need all the other ones?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:

What ones do i need for this install method to work?

USE="nptl" and if you want pure NPTL system, USE="nptl nptlonly". Keep in mind, pure NPTL system doesn't have LinuxThreads as a fallback and may have some problems.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
carpman wrote:

What ones do i need for this install method to work?

USE="nptl" and if you want pure NPTL system, USE="nptl nptlonly". Keep in mind, pure NPTL system doesn't have LinuxThreads as a fallback and may have some problems.

what about the gcj gcc notes about USE= in make.conf? anything i need for this issue?
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
what about the gcj gcc notes about USE= in make.conf? anything i need for this issue?

This is "The Developers Method" so having USE flags related to something like gcc (which people will likely use if doing developing) makes perfect sense to me.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
carpman wrote:

This is "The Developers Method" so having USE flags related to something like gcc (which people will likely use if doing developing) makes perfect sense to me.

Yep i understand this is developers method but quote from 1st post

Code:

Were after capacity servers that eat 200.00 loads and not choke.

Reading the notes in the downloaded make.conf it say that all the USE= flags are needed for boot strap to go smoothly, some of the flags are not even listed in gentoo USE list, but what it does not say is that they can be removed and a more realistec USE= list can be setup for server or other user specific machine.

So if i read the howto correctly use the very long list of USE=flags for boot strap but then change this your desired settings, however what if you do a system upgrade emerge -uD world, would this break system if you don't put that long list back in.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: USE flags Reply with quote

The USE flags do seem optimized for server usage. So if I were running a server, I'd really leave them as-is. Trust ali3nx to provide a nice "heterogeneous" set of USE flags, he set up a server that we'd all love to own in our dreams, what with 6GB RAM and 1TB SATA RAID. It's mentioned a few pages back. :-D

Some of the USE flags, such as the precious "nptlonly" and "ithreads", are not in the /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc file as they are not global USE flags. They're local flags, mentioned in the /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc file.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need or whatsoever to use tons of USE-flags, personally, I use pretty minimal USE-flags to cut down unwanted dependencies. Here's my USE from /etc/make.conf:
Code:

USE="-* 3dnow X aalib alsa avi cdr divx4linux dvdr encode gtk2 imlib jpeg mad mikmod mmx mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl png python readline sdl slang sse truetype xml2 xv xvid zlib"

Note that this only covers global USE-flags...Here is my /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:

sys-devel/gcc fortran
sys-libs/glibc nptlonly userlocales

(I cutted down non-system packages...)
jj2f1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ali3nx. I tied the splashutils, and this is the error that I got. I'm not sure what I am missing to emerge this.

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/work/miscsplashutils-0.1.2/fbtruetype'
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2   -c -o fbtruetype.o fbtruetype.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2   -c -o messages.o messages.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2   -c -o console.o console.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2   -c -o ttf.o ttf.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2   -c -o luxisri.o luxisri.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2 -L/usr/lib -o fbtruetype -L/usr/lib fbtruetype.o messages.o console.o ttf.o luxisri.o -lfreetype -lm
gcc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/freetype2 -L/usr/lib -static -o fbtruetype.static -L/usr/lib fbtruetype.o messages.o console.o ttf.o luxisri.o /usr/lib/libfreetype.a /usr/lib/libz.a -lm
strip -s fbtruetype fbtruetype.static
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/work/miscsplashutils-0.1.2/fbtruetype'
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: media-gfx/splashutils-0.9_rc1

>>> Install splashutils-0.9_rc1 into /var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/image/ category media-gfx
install -D fbres /var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/image//sbin/fbres
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/work/miscsplashutils-0.1.2/fbtruetype'
install -D fbtruetype /var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/image//sbin/fbtruetype
install -D fbtruetype.static /var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/image//sbin/fbtruetype.static
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-0.9_rc1/work/miscsplashutils-0.1.2/fbtruetype'
  MAKE    klibc
tests/environ.o(.text+0x24): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `__guard'
tests/environ.o(.text+0xa7): In function `main':
tests/environ.o(.text+0xc2): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `__stack_smash_handler'
libc.a(__static_init.o)(.text+0x7): In function `__libc_init':
libc.a(printf.o)(.text+0xb): In function `printf':
libc.a(printf.o)(.text+0xbc): In function `printf':
libc.a(vfprintf.o)(.text+0x1a): In function `vfprintf':
libc.a(vfprintf.o)(.text+0x56): In function `vfprintf':
libc.a(vfprintf.o)(.text+0x77): In function `vfprintf':
libc.a(fwrite.o)(.text+0x19): In function `_fwrite':
libc.a(fwrite.o)(.text+0x5f): In function `_fwrite':
libc.a(fwrite.o)(.text+0x7b): In function `_fwrite':
libc.a(puts.o)(.text+0x7): In function `puts':
libc.a(puts.o)(.text+0x40): In function `puts':
libc.a(puts.o)(.text+0x59): In function `puts':
libc.a(vsnprintf.o)(.text+0x1a): In function `vsnprintf':
libc.a(vsnprintf.o)(.text+0xa36): In function `vsnprintf':
libc.a(fputs.o)(.text+0x10): In function `fputs':
libc.a(fputs.o)(.text+0x49): In function `fputs':
make[1]: *** [tests/environ] Error 1
make: *** [klibc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-gfx/splashutils-0.9_rc1 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 81, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I am using an amd64, I don't know if that makes a difference. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I have mostly followed this tutorial and tied to make minimal modifications for amd64. I would like to try this out, let me know what you think.
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, perhaps this is the wrong place, but I'm totally lost. I just followed the directions on page one, and everything worked perfectly until I got to emerging grub, and here is the error I got:

Code:
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-boot/grub-0.95.20040823 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) grub-0.95.20040823.tar.gz
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) grub-0.95.20040823-splash.patch.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking grub-0.95.20040823.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/grub-0.95.20040823/work
>>> Unpacking grub-0.95.20040823-splash.patch.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/grub-0.95.20040823/work
 * Using GNU config files from /usr/share/libtool
 *  Updating config.sub                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *  Updating config.guess                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Applying grub-0.95.20040823-splash.patch ...                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Applying grub-0.95.20040823-warnings.patch ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
/usr/share/aclocal/libreiser4.m4:14: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_LIBREISER4
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/libaal.m4:14: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_LIBAAL
/usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
configure.ac:19: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.7.9,
configure.ac:19: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:19: comes from Automake 1.8.5.  You should recreate
configure.ac:19: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.

!!! ERROR: sys-boot/grub-0.95.20040823 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 61, Exitcode 1
!!! automake failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Okay, so I need to try rebuilding aclocal.m4 to include the three .m4 files listed in the error? libreiser4.m4, libaal.m4, and glib.m4
I don't know how to do this, I read the page referred to (the redhat page) and became totally lost. /usr/share/aclocal/ has several aclocal folders, all containing several .m4 files, but none contain an aclocal.m4, and the aclocal command tells me I need to find configure.ac or configure.in

Can somone help me figure out (or just tell me) what I need to do to extent my aclocal.m4, or if that is not even the solution to the problem I'm having?

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks in advance!
'Gabe

Edit: Oh, and is it safe to continue on with the rest of the instructions before installing and configuring grub (I know I obviously can't reboot until I've got that done...)
rjw8703
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bugzzilla look up grub-0.95.20040823 problems and at the end of the comments there is a procedure for allowing grub to be emerged. Make sure to
follow *ALL* of the directions starting from the first sentence. I didn't and ended up repeating it several times. This should take care of your problem.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjw8703 wrote:
In bugzzilla look up grub-0.95.20040823 problems and at the end of the comments there is a procedure for allowing grub to be emerged. Make sure to
follow *ALL* of the directions starting from the first sentence. I didn't and ended up repeating it several times. This should take care of your problem.

I'd rather save myself some brain cells by masking sys-boot/grub-0.95:
Code:
echo ">=sys-boot/grub-0.95" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
This will force Portage to fetch grub 0.94 which will compile 100% fine everywhere AFAIK.

And before some n00b decides to ask the question for the nth time, the above line is 100% correct, it is /etc/portage/package.mask

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmount /mnt/gentoo problem split off. Follow ups to that problem go here.
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've got grub installed and am happily on my way through the rest of the guide on page one!
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabe-kai wrote:
Thanks guys, I've got grub installed and am happily on my way through the rest of the guide on page one!
Just out of curiosity: Did you install grub-0.95 as rjw suggested, or did you mask grub-0.95 and install grub-0.94 instead?

[EDIT]For a much more trouble-free install try the stage 3 install method spelt out a few posts earlier. I've done 2 such installs with absolutely no snafus at all. Whereas all the stage 1 installs I tried hit upon one glitch or another in the ebuild. Not a "blocker", but if you get glitches doing a stage 1 NPTL install check back here for remedies. :-)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:
Setting Up Hostnames and Domainnames
-------------------------------------------------
Code:
echo h3x4g0n > /etc/hostname
echo eliteitminds.com > /etc/dnsdomainname
echo nis.eliteitminds.com > /etc/nisdomainname
rc-update add domainname default

just to keep the Tut up to date, i thought i'd point out that i've started to receive the following messages during bootup [2.6.9-r8]:

Code:
* You should stop using /etc/localhost and use  /etc/conf.d/hostname

and

Code:
* Keymap: you should stop using  /etc/rc.conf and use   /etc/conf.d/keymaps

and

Code:
* You should stop using /etc/dnscomainname and use /etc/conf.d/domainname

Edit: typo

Last edited by Bob P on Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Did you install grub-0.95 as rjw suggested, or did you mask grub-0.95 and install grub-0.94 instead?

Oh, sorry. I masked 0.95 and emerge 0.94, the directions in the bugzilla article looked like more hassle than simply waiting for the next release of grub.

Finished the tutorial and began installing programs... OMfreakingG I've never had xorg compile so fast... I was expecting to simply save a few seconds waiting for programs to open, not have a huge impact on how long it takes large programs to compile. Thanks Ali3nx, you're on my list of personal heros!
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: gettext error on bootstrap Reply with quote

Hello, boot strap fails on gettext:

Code:

checking for C compiler default output... configure: error C compiler cannot create executables
See 'config.log' for more details.
configure; error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for autoconf-lib-link

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gettest-0.12.1-r2 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 449, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed

I know there are lots of post for this but they are either realated to emerge system or should have been cured with latest stage1 tar, or so i thought.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great guide, but I see one minor issue. linux26-heders are installed twice. I have a P4 2.0 GHz and it takes a while for the headers to unpack, configure, and then merge, so I modified your one-liner a bit, and you can use this if you want to. I replaced the part that goes:
Quote:
... USE="-* build bootstrap" emerge linux26-headers ...
with:
Quote:
... mkdir /etc/portage/profile && echo "virtual/os-headers sys-kernel/linux26-headers" >> /etc/portage/profile/virtuals ...
This is actually the way the developers would do it. I did a search in this thread for something like this suggestion, but I didn't see anything. I know that sytax is longer than the one you have now, but it saves some time and feels more offical. I can say that it worked. When I did the bootstrap, it used linux26-headers instead. I know this will save a lot of time for people with slower mchines.

-Stiff
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to provide a new nbench result from the 3200 amd64 i built last week. This is the same machine thats sucessfully running hardened gentoo linux with hardened xorg. This system is pure nptl... no fallback whatsoever. heh dizzamn is it fast :wink:

Code:
hardenedgentoo64 ~ # nbench

BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark ver. 2 (10/95)
Index-split by Andrew D. Balsa (11/97)
Linux/Unix* port by Uwe F. Mayer (12/96,11/97)

TEST                : Iterations/sec.  : Old Index   : New Index
                    :                  : Pentium 90* : AMD K6/233*
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT        :          1611.6  :      41.33  :      13.57
STRING SORT         :          182.56  :      81.57  :      12.63
BITFIELD            :       4.757e+08  :      81.60  :      17.04
FP EMULATION        :          114.64  :      55.01  :      12.69
FOURIER             :           18603  :      21.16  :      11.88
ASSIGNMENT          :          23.754  :      90.39  :      23.44
IDEA                :          2849.7  :      43.59  :      12.94
HUFFMAN             :          1684.5  :      46.71  :      14.92
NEURAL NET          :          35.343  :      56.78  :      23.88
LU DECOMPOSITION    :          1125.6  :      58.31  :      42.11
==========================ORIGINAL BYTEMARK RESULTS==========================
INTEGER INDEX       : 59.956
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 41.220
Baseline (MSDOS*)   : Pentium* 90, 256 KB L2-cache, Watcom* compiler 10.0
==============================LINUX DATA BELOW===============================
CPU                 : AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ 2203MHz
L2 Cache            : 512 KB
OS                  : Linux 2.6.7-hardened-r16
C compiler          : 3.4.3
libc                :
MEMORY INDEX        : 17.151
INTEGER INDEX       : 13.504
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 22.862
Baseline (LINUX)    : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, libc-5.4.38
* Trademarks are property of their respective holder.

Compile long and Prosper!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 17 of 25

Jump to: