View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.... my collegue Davetha from the amd64 herd has tried it and it's fairly similar... Just make some adjustments where an amd64 would be appropriate. I would go into greater detail but i haven't had my morning coffee yet :lol:

He did get 570 Frames Per second from his K8V Deluxe in UT2004-demo for amd64. Mind you he also changed the symlinks from the UT2lk4 libraries to "optimized, compiled" ones for an amd64 8)
Compile long and Prosper!
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Observations Reply with quote

I was going to sound a cautionary note about using the latest headers without checking for b0rkage first. Hitherto I have been using the latest revision of the 2.6.6 headers because I know them to be pretty safe. However, I have just discovered that linux26-headers-2.6.7-r4 has been marked as stable on x86! I strongly recommend not necessarily using the latest headers as a matter of course. Due to this change I would suggest not defining anything in package.keywords now.

Another tip also. When headers are changed (i.e. after installation), it's a good idea to rebuild glibc. However, there are other packages that depend on virtual/os-headers and I would suggest that these are rebuilt also. Here's a way to do it in one fell swoop, including glibc (note that it will not upgrade anything):
Code:
ls /var/db/pkg/*/*/*.ebuild | xargs grep -l virtual/os-headers | cut -d "/" -f 5,6 | grep -v linux26-headers | sed -e "s/\(.*\)/=\1/" | xargs emerge --oneshot

odegard wrote:
doesn't each thread also carry a overhead that would bog the system down?

The point of threads is that they should be lightweight. They also make liberal use of shared memory techniques and are meant to have smaller context frames than processes.

Unfortunately, as fefe points out:
Quote:
One problem with threads is that on a bad OS, creating threads is still slow. Solaris and Windows may create threads faster than processes, but it is still way too slow.

This is where NPTL comes in. NPTL is a re-working of the original pthreads (the old implementation was also known as LinuxThreads) which offers superb threading performance and is in orders of magnitude more scalable. The original approach offered lacklustre performance, to say the least. For anything that makes liberal use of threading (Java, MySQL and many others) this can be a massive advantage. In theory, anything that uses pthreads (hint: look for linkage to pthread during compilation - many packages do so) should win from this situation. It cannot guarantee perfect backward-compatibility with the old threading implementation. Having said that, I have not experienced any problems (well, a few problems with mono - I believe those have been resolved now).

HOWEVER: this does not mean that it is a good idea to use threading support in user-space programs where it is optional (whether you use NPTL or not). For example, I strongly recommend against the use of the threads USE flag in the case of apache. The process, pre-fork model is well established and tested. In principle, apache2 might have the potential to be more scalable and faster with a thread-based MPM, but in practice I believe things will fall apart - including many of the modules that apache supports. In fact, I recommend that everyone stear clear of the threads USE flag ... fullstop.

Quote:
I wrote up a tutorial on this not to long ago instead of merging linux-headers before bootstrap just use bootstrap-2.6.sh this will get the 2.6 headers and emerge them then compile everything against the 2.6 headers.

I have spent quite a while campaigning against the use of bootstrap-2.6.sh. It adds a few checks for the 2.6 headers scenario and that's about all. Unfortunately, it wasn't updated in quite some time and missed a hugely important update regarding the sanity of the toolchain building process. However, I have just checked the CVS headers on both files and vapier has updated it (finally ....)! So I would say it is quite safe now, but it is not essential (provided you sort out the headers prior to proceeding).
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for enlightening us Kerfie. You've never failed to teach me a trick ot two 8)
smcallis182
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reiserfs 4 Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to format with Reiserfs 4? I'm doing a stage one install and I'd really like to run R4, anyone?
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to do the very same thing. I am using a special Live CD that has the reiser4 support already built into it. There are four to choose from. I picked the 2.6.8.1-nitro-r5 one which is listed as stable. You can find them at: http://www.lxnay.scarlet.nl
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished adding the timezone section. Had a very heavy week last week building two systems for a client.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tutorial ali3nx!

I've been using stable (desktop) system and I'm bored. I wanna try something new and this sounds perfect! Of course all bleeding edge features from this guide, Reiser4 and maybe mm-sources.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Deranger on Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opionion mate :oops:
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upated my bootstrap procedures to utilize the newly committed bootstrap script. Thanks solar and vapier for your work.
crazy-bee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I cant reach your server eliteitminds.com to download the stage1 tarball :-(

Edit: OK, I guess I can use the normal stage1
johntramp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:

2.6.x Stable linux-headers are a must for nptl
--------------------------------------------------------
Code:
mkdir /etc/portage && ls -l /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-cascade.sh

This will allow the default 2.4.x headers to be removed favoring building toolchain for a 2.6 linux kernel *using* 2.6.x linux-headers not the latter 2.4 fodder that runs like redhat/fedora or a kid with a soggy diaper if you prefer... Were after capacity servers that eat 200.00 loads and not choke

Is this correct? What is it doing? Is it supposed to be a link instead of a ls ??
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

johntramp wrote:
ali3nx wrote:

Code:

This will allow the default 2.4.x headers to be removed favoring building toolchain for a 2.6 linux kernel *using* 2.6.x linux-headers not the latter 2.4 fodder that runs like redhat/fedora or a kid with a soggy diaper if you prefer... Were after capacity servers that eat 200.00 loads and not choke

Is this correct? What is it doing? Is it supposed to be a link instead of a ls ??

I'm being told by allot of senior develoers to use this script but i'm getting some /lib/cpp C++ preprossessor sanity check errors... I'm quite avid that hamony can be found and that this is entirely possible to accomplish building this style of gentoo linux install with nptl and the best linux can offer right from scratch.

I was planning to make a comment that people should maybe take notice of this script due to the recent changes i inagine just in the last week. Previously i would have people make /etc/portage as it is a very importat directory for per package granular build specification settings for portage.

Someone has to break it first... I'll not dissapoint anyone and leave something unfinished or broken for long. Every user that donated access for me to perform an installation helped with building this tutorial :wink:
crazy-bee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed your examples - with the bootscript-cascade.sh - and everything worked fine. I also wanted to go with gcc 3.4.x, so I followed the other advice here in the thread.

Only problem now: After emerge system, kernel, and booting the first time, all programs that use python (hallo emerge) give me "sem_post: invalid argument" - they do work though. I googled a bit, and figured that this is something with glibc/nptl. I have no idea if its good, or bad, and why it happened - everything seems to work fine.

Before gooing to x11/gnome, I'd like to know if that message could turn out as a problem later. So, I'm now emerge -u system to see if that helps.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built my Gentoo using this guide and I must say that my system is very much faster than ever!

And it's stable as rock, although I'm using 100% ~x86 system, Reiser4 and 2.6.9-rc2-nitro1. I'll never use ext3 again for system disk.

Thanks again, for a great tutorial!

Last edited by Deranger on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CC_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: issue in use flags Reply with quote

for some reason, use flags are creating a bootstrap issue. you have use the Default =USE or bootstrap will fail, looking into problem will be a update as soon as it is resolved 8)
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that you need to have USE="nptl" in order to enable Native POSIX Threads Library.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Xk2c pointed out
Quote:
Code:

You seem to have tryed to merge 2 steps into one.
1. You never make the link to /etc/make.profile
Code:

ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.2/gcc34/2.6/ /etc/make.profile

for cascading profiles
2. sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7-r4 are stable now so you dont need to use /etc/portage to get them. That be as it may
Code:

mkdir /etc/portage && ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.2/gcc34/2.6/ /etc/make.profile

By the way EXCELENT howto 8)
Those who do, do. those who cant edit. :lol:
dioo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,

i got this error while are trying to emerge patch.
ps.: btw, I use a "normal" stage1...

Code:
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-devel/patch-2.5.9 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) patch-2.5.9.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking patch-2.5.9.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/patch-2.5.9/work
>>> Source unpacked.
~x86
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/patch-2.5.9 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 38, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed

can anyone help-me?
HD: 80gb 7200rpm
Video: GeForce 4 64mb DDR

Estudante de Engenharia Mecatrônica (PUC-RS) e Ciência da Computação (UFRGS) - Brasil
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dioo wrote:
hi guys,

i got this error while are trying to emerge patch.
ps.: btw, I use a "normal" stage1...

Hi,

Same error here! This is wierd! Using stage1 too.
Ssl
dioo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got it!

just unmerge linux-headers and after emerge linux26-headers
works here.
HD: 80gb 7200rpm
Video: GeForce 4 64mb DDR

Estudante de Engenharia Mecatrônica (PUC-RS) e Ciência da Computação (UFRGS) - Brasil
iverson0881
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eliteminds links seem to be down :(
MrApples
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its been down for awhile as far as i know
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately due to my server sponsor not being able to make a payment the server was lost. It's temporary and i'm trying to resolve it. Also my dns provider's domain went belly up and i need to change my registraion info to his backup domain. I just need to redirect my registrair info and find some static hosting and all shall be golden once again

As for the errors you guys have been getting... there seems to be a problem with some use flags adding dependancies into the bootstraps. I've come up with a solution. It may be temporary unless a developer can resolve the problem with bootstrap adding dependancies. I thought bootstraps were supposed to strip useflags guys...? comon.. =/

Use _only_ the use flags from the portage profile in make.defaults, add nptl to the use flags and follow my guide. You may wish to add use flags after bootstrap and before running emerge system. I would highly reccomend doing so as not adding the useflags would also not add the features and funtionality you require.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:

Use _only_ the use flags from the portage profile in make.defaults, add nptl to the use flags and follow my guide. You may wish to add use flags after bootstrap and before running emerge system. I would highly reccomend doing so as not adding the useflags would also not add the features and funtionality you require.

Yeah, it's best to bootstrap and even emerge system with USE="nptl" because you really don't have much of choices. More USE-flags during bootstrap = bigger change to break something.
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks... so to recap on the situation there's been allot of oddities with bootstraps lately since about the second last week of september. I've been doing allot of stage1 install testing this week thanks to a couple donors who've let me molest thier systems for the good of all. Here's a basic rundown on my results...

I tried 10 bootstraps with varying use flags on two to three systems. all athlons.

The first try i used full flags, result = failed when media-libs/libart_lgpl being added as a dependancy before gcc emerges resulting in a /lib/cpp sanity error

Stipping use flags down to USE="nptl" after like 4 bootstraps resolved the error when for some reason removing USE="acl" remarkably removed the dependancy. wierd? id say...
result = bootstrap fails on ncurses when using the bootstrap-casdcade.sh script consecutively either emerging ncurses directly or during a bootstrap with the same error...

so things not looking so very rosey at the moment so i messaged Mr_Bones and await a reply

This is redicuious and needs a resolution.... soon.

I'll keep ya'll posted on the results

Last edited by ali3nx on Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25

Jump to: