Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
damn, now i want a powerpc :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
killall -9 everyone and let root@localhost sort em out
(

Lol, I couldn't help but notice your signature (killall -9 everyone and let root@localhost sort em out). The original quote was from a very evil inquisitor named Konrad von Marburg made during the Albigensian Crusade in 1229 under the reign of pope Gregory the IX. Konrad and his croneys where sacking a village suspected of harboring Albigensian heretics and when the officer in charge approached Konrad and complained that his troops were having trouble seperating the heretics in town from the good catholics, Konrad said : "Kill them all, God will know his own". Totally off-topic but the history major inside of me just had to clarify that part:)
gappin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is faster Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
...First of all Apple has the annoying habit of making the CDROM drive inaccessible so that you simply can not just pop out the cd by pressing the button on the CDROM/DVD drive. It took me a while to figure out that Apple does this so you have to buy one of their keyboard with the cd-eject button ...

I don't think Apple does this to get a few more keyboards out the door. Apple provides an application that allows you to assign the eject command to a key.

Apple does this so the user can't eject a CD while it's in use (a program running off it, a file being accessed, etc.) This saves users from an alert popping up and telling them something's wrong. It doesn't let you mess things up. You must eject it through the operating system. If the resource is still busy, it will tell you and you can then eject it cleanly.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is faster Reply with quote

gappin wrote:
c_kuzmanic wrote:
...First of all Apple has the annoying habit of making the CDROM drive inaccessible so that you simply can not just pop out the cd by pressing the button on the CDROM/DVD drive. It took me a while to figure out that Apple does this so you have to buy one of their keyboard with the cd-eject button ...

I don't think Apple does this to get a few more keyboards out the door. Apple provides an application that allows you to assign the eject command to a key.

Apple does this so the user can't eject a CD while it's in use (a program running off it, a file being accessed, etc.) This saves users from an alert popping up and telling them something's wrong. It doesn't let you mess things up. You must eject it through the operating system. If the resource is still busy, it will tell you and you can then eject it cleanly.

Ok, thanks for enlightenening me on the subject. So if I understand you correctly, apple doesn't think I can be trusted with my OWN cdrom on my OWN computer, therefore they make the cdrom drive unaccessible.:)

BTW that app only runs under mac osx, I guess I'll just have to live with typing 'eject' at the command line to open the darn cdrom drive.
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is faster Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
First of all Apple has the annoying habit of making the CDROM drive inaccessible so that you simply can not just pop out the cd by pressing the button on the CDROM/DVD drive. It took me a while to figure out that Apple does this so you have to buy one of their keyboard with the cd-eject button (anybody know of any substitute keyboards?).

Ehh... drag the CD to the trash can and it should eject? :p

Quote:
we always had to test a minimum of three versions of the Apple Os.I know this might sound anal but in a QA lab all these little things quickly add up to form major annoyances.

Ditto testing for Win95/95OSR/98/Me/NT3.5/NT4/2000/XP, or Linux with various Glibc versions, compiler differences etc. - I am having hell now trying to get Csound to work with RH8 ! (Would try Gentoo but since I'm waiting for my Powerbook, there's no point diverting time from Folding@Home to recompiling everything)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: