Why such a large boot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Why such a large boot? Reply with quote

I was just curious why 100MB is the suggested /boot partition size. Especially considering the suggested root partition is a minimum of only 1.5GB. I can't imagine using 100MB for /boot.

I've used Linux for years and years and I've always partitioned my boot in the 8-16MB range (or whatever the smallest cylinder size is) without problems. I read another post where someone asked roughly the same question but the only response was "25MB is fine for /boot". So why the 100MB suggestion? How could anyone use that amount of boot space? Heck, a double sided, high density 3.5 floppy is only 1.44MB and you can easily boot Linux (independently; like a dummy terminal) from that!

I know a much smaller partition size will work, I've done it. I just want to know what the limitations are of a smaller /boot. What possibilities are there for a larger /boot? I've seen other distributions start to suggest the same 100MB /boot figure (same distros who, years ago, suggested only 8MB heh). Is this simply because hard drive sizes have gotten so large or what?

The machine I'm installing Gentoo on has only a 4GB drive and I plan on running a mild database and several types of servers on it as well as utilities, so the space can definitely be used elsewhere.[/url]
Roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use file systems like reiserfs for the boot partition, it has to be larger. Otherwise you don't have any space for the journal.
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the recommended /boot size may reflect the developer orientation of Gentoo. If you are keen on keeping upto date then it may make sense to have room for several kernels etc.personally I think a few megabytes is sufficient (ie enough for a last known good kernel in addition to the current boot.) Having a journal on the boot partition is no really necessary as it is only mounted when required, so best to keep is as simple as possible. Allocating just one cylinder (assuming that's at least 4MB) is sufficient
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: