~x86=bad?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fubard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: ~x86=bad? Reply with quote

hi there, just wanna know if im basically breaking my gentoo. most of my packages have been installed wiht the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", and i've done an "emerge world" which only updated about 46 pkgs.I have xorg, kde 3.2.3, xfce4.05, fluxbox, gnome 2.6.1, kernel 2.6.5. So far i havent ran into any problems, but i would like to know if my box is unstable or if its stable considering im using bleeding edge software. thanks.
the_sphynx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using that as a keyword is generally accepted as installing "unstable" software, but judging by what you listed, that is certainly fairly stable. I use that for some packages that require it and I have no problems. I am using the 2.6.7 kernel that was released today. You are not "breaking" you Gentoo install, just allowing newer packages to be installed and as long as you understand that there COULD be a possibility of a driver that doesn't fully function then you are okay.
wilho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have build my whole system withg ~x86 in my make.conf, and there's very few problems arised - and I can't recall that installing older packege would have never solved anythign. This - of course - isn't the case allways, but IMO it's pretty safe for personal use.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using ~ there is a chance that something will break, sooner or later, this doesn't happen very often, but every once in a while something goes wrong with a portage ebuild or a buggy version of a base build will make it into portage (gcc anyone?) and then you could be in serieus trouble, this doesn't happen very often, I'd say it barely happens, but you should be aware that it CAN happen ...

I myself have been running ~x86 for about as long as I can remember and there haven't been much serious breakages that I can remember, I've never had to reïnstall because of them anyway...
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is relativellt safe to use ~x86. But beware, never upgrade everything without seeing what will be upgraded: glibc, gcc, and sometimes binutils should kill your system (but you can repair it), if you use ~x86 packages.

I had only a few breakage, all occured by unstable glibc or gcc upgrade.
The other packages should be installed.
(You know, ~x86 does not mean unusable, just too fresh packages. If something breaks the system, it will be hard masked in package.mask file, and can't installed in an easy way.)

Sipi
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally:
updating with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the commandline is outdated and considered dangerous. it may even be removed in a future release of portage. either make your whole system ~x86 in make.conf, or add the applications where you want to be bleeding edge to your package.keywords file.

other than that, ~x86 is usually used to mark rather new ebuilds. the software behind the ebuild is usually stable enough (at least for desktop machines; i would not run a server on ~x86 software). truly unstable software is usually hardmasked. i, personally, run a lot of ~x86 software (and even a couple of hardmasked programs), and i never ran into any major problems. you should be prepared for the occasional program crashing, tho (i don't run anything ~x86 that is important for system stability).
fubard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, although, in my /etc/make.conf i do have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

so its not when that im using "ACCEPT_KEYOWRDS="~x86" emerge pkg for example.
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have it in your make.conf your whole system is running on ~x86 packages. using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the commandline or anywhere else, for that matter, will have no additional effects.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: