wireless network setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: wireless network setup Reply with quote

I am trying to set up a wireless network at my house. I have a standard cable modem from roadrunner and a wireless router. But I have 2 public ip's from road runner and i want to turn off the routing features on the wireless router and just let the computers inside my network aquire the public ip's.

I have a d-link airplus G router, anyone know how to make this work?
infinyt9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've setup quite a few networks (wireless as well) and from what I've seen, you can't turn off the NATing/routing in the d-links... So basically, if you want to use the 2 ips, you'll probably need 2 of them routers. From what I've seen, the WAN port is 1 network, and the LAN port are your inside network, so you are not in luck, you will not be able to get the inside comp to get the public ip, as it is really your router that is on the net. Your other computer plugged on the LAN aren't really on the net, its the router that is NATing them...

May I ask why you need to use both ip's? The whole point of NATing is being able to use 1 public IP for an *infinite* number of hosts. I really don't see any reason to use both ips, but maybe your setup is different than most of the setups which requires you to use both ips, which is why I'm asking...

Maybe with more information I can provide a more illuminated answer.
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i want a public ip because one of my computers will provide lots of services that i like to use from anywhere, like webserver, ssh, etc...

would this work with a accesspoint? i would have to set up my own nat though if i wanted to subnet one of the ip's.
infinyt9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for all your services, the d-link router will not pose a problem, in the config, youll just have to setup virtual server (a.k.a port forwarding) i.e public port 80, private port 80 private ip 192.168.0.60, meaning, when I receive a request on the wan connection for port 80, redirect this to 192.168.0.60:80 (the LAN address of your server)

See, my setup is the following: I have 1 DSL line/public IP, plugged in my d-link wireless router, and in the router, I have my main box plugged in, my 2 servers, and my laptop wirelessly.

And here is my virtual server setup www.dokinfo.no-ip.org/trucs/example.png .
The main server being 192.168.0.97, the ventrilo 192.168.0.96, and my laptop 192.168.0.72. As you can see in the screenshot, you can redirect services on multiple machines on the lan (just make sure they arent DHCP...)

So, does this answer your question a bit better? plz repost for more details.
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, and what i was thinking of doing as well. is there a way to get your public ip from the inside of the network? i need that information for dyndns to work automatically.
infinyt9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could code a php script to extract it from a page like http://www.whatismyip.com/ , but I use noip for my dynamic dns needs, and their script updates it automatically.

Their script is fairly simple, it opens a php page which has your ip in it, so you could try and use their page and code a script, but look in portage, I had an ebuild for noip which installed their auto updater, and I think their was one for dyndns as well.

----------------- (edit)
here ya go http://www.gentoo-portage.com/browse-program.php?program=5690
Glab I could be of service
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, this should work. now i just need to figure out how to set up the wmp54g drivers in linux. i can still return the linksys card that i bought, is there any known 802.11g cards that have linux drivers?
infinyt9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I have the crappy old acx100 (which now work great), so I don't really have any experience with g products, but check NDIS wrappers, I read a tad about it, and seem promising for your setup.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125627&highlight=ndiswrapper+howto

Hope it works for you
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user317 wrote:
cool, this should work. now i just need to figure out how to set up the wmp54g drivers in linux. i can still return the linksys card that i bought, is there any known 802.11g cards that have linux drivers?

Sure!

You just have to make sure the card uses the prism or athereos chipsets :)
Intel based ones have drivers on the go, but they have a few issues afaik.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: