netmount or autofs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattmatteh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: netmount or autofs Reply with quote

i have a small home networkl with 5 computers, all gentoo. i want to share files between them. some are read only, one is public space, and the others are ~home. i am using autofs now but hate when it unmounts when i am using it. is it better to use netmount and have the shares mounted all the time?

and i have a laptop and wanted to put the network stuff in a runlevel. can i put netmount in a runlevel so i can start it and stop it?

matt
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have two gentoo boxes here, both sharing some nfs exports to each other. in my default runlevel i have just "nfs" and "nfsmount". in /etc/fstab, i mount the network shares with the "bg" (background) option, which makes nfs wait until a share is available (when i switch the other computer on) and automatically mounts/unmounts it. works quite well.

tom
mattmatteh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the computer i am connecting to is always on. i didnt know if i should always have the shares mounted or only when they need to be?

i liked the runlevels because i can turn on and off the network, cups, shares, ntp depending where i was with my laptop.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well when the remote computer is always on, i don't see why the shares shouldn't be mounted all the time - escept for security reason. say, i wouldn't leave a backup share mounted all the time.

tom
mattmatteh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i use netmount and put the share in fstab, what happens if netmount is not in the default runlevel ? then if i stop netmount, deos it unmount the share ?

autofs is ok, but it unmounts too often. i would like the folde in /mnt/auto/share to always be there. can that be done? i had a symbolic link to it but still have to restart nautilus if it get unmounted

what permissions are used? the server i would assume. does the owner, group and permissions have any effect on the share ?
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for your first question ... i don't know exactly, never did this. i'm talking about NFSmount not netmount, thats a differnence. nfsmount, when startet, looks if any nfs shares are found on the network and if yes, mounts them (when they're listed in /etc/fstab). if not, the mount is being "backgrounded" meaning this share will be mounted later as soon as it comes online. the same is when the share goes offline again - it just gets unmounted.

the mountpoint directory is always there - the question is just if it's empty or not.

permissions, owner etc. can be defined in the /etc/exports file and you can modify them with the normal mount options in /etc/fstab i think.

tom
mattmatteh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autofs puts the directories there. if its not mounted, then its not there. this is why i dont want to use autofs.

matt
mattmatteh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: autofs nfs mount Reply with quote

does netmount mount the shares? such that if its not loaded at boot will the shares not be mounted? and if i start the netmount deamon will it be mounted. then if i stop the netmount deamon will it be unmounted?

is it possible that autofs does not create or remove the mount point? i would like to have the share always be there like when i mount it myself
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: