xfree 4.2.99
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: xfree 4.2.99 Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I need xfree 4.2.99 to support the video on my Intel 845 chipset. That's according to numerous newsgroup posts and such and surfing xfree86's CVS tree, which indicates this support has been added very recently.

I'm happy to see Gentoo has xfree 4.2.99. When I go to /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree and do a 'emerge -p xfree-4.2.99.ebuild' it looks good.

BUT, when I tell it I want fluxbox also (emerge -p xfree-4.2.99.ebuild fluxbox) it says it is going to install xfree 4.2.0-r12 after xfree 4.2.99! Why? xfree 4.2.99 should satisfy the X requirement and I can't see any dependencies on any of the to-be-installed packages that would specifically require xfree 4.2.0-r12.

Or is it because xfree-4.2.99 isn't in the "official" package list? Maybe I need to read the docs!

Carl
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, reading about profiles in the portage system. I found the 'packages' file for my profile (/usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4/packages) and I tried changing x11-base/xfree from:

>=x11-base/xfree-4.1.0-r12

to:

>=x11-base/xfree-4.2.99

But now an 'emerge -p fluxbox' says that all ebuilds that could satisfy "virtual/x11" have been masked. But this is not right - xfree-4.2.99 satisfies virtual/x11.

I'm confused.

Carl
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Just found the package.mask file. xfree 4.2.99 is masked due to being very experimental. I unmasked it and now my system is ready to use 4.2.99. We'll see what happens!

Carl
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that if you compile 4.2.99 FIRST, then seperately emerge fluxbox, it will not compile 4.1.0r12.

but if you try to do them together, it thinks it needs 4.1.0r12 because x isn't installed yet.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlivar - I'd just like to comment that I appreciate you posting followups. I wish more people did it - really helps out others.

Brad
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I like the followups because writing things down helps me sort of organize my thoughts.

I think that's right re: installing 4.2.99. If I would have just installed 4.2.99 and then fluxbox seperately, it probably would have been happy with dependencies installed.

4.2.99 installation barfed. I got some sort of nasty internal gcc error towards the end.

I'm not sure if 4.2.99 has the video support I need anyway. I'm going to try xfree86 from CVS. See my Intel 845G thread in "Hardware & Laptops" for further info. I might just try changing the 4.2.99 ebuild to use the CVS version, although I'm not very optimistic.

Carl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: