ATI driver woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gntu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: ATI driver woes Reply with quote

Okay, I've spent almost 10 hours now trying to get a ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility card working in my WUXGA Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, and still no dice.

The problem is that no image appears. Yet, neither the X log file nor output of dmesg shows any errors. In fact, X appears to be running just fine on vt 7 according to X log output. I just can't see anything!

I'm trying to use the ATI-provided binary fglrx driver. I followed the Gentoo ATI FAQ carefully: enabled MTRR in the kernel, compiled agpgart as a module for my Intel 855PM chipset, did not enable DRM in the kernel, and then emerged ati-drivers.

Then I used the supplied fglrxconfig tool to build my XF86Config-4 file. I tried using both internal and kernel agpgart (in the former case, unloading kernel module first of course). I also tried enabling/disabling EDID detection for the LCD panel. In the latter case, I used a small program called EDID-read I downloaded off the web to read the hfreq/vfreq dotclock and h/v timing values for my panel. When disabling EDID in the fglrx driver options section, I manually defined a Modeline for 1920x1200 using the values EDID-read successfully read out of the panel.

I also checked to make sure that LCD panel output was enabled (and that the laptop wasn't trying to output to a CRT on external VGA connector instead). Also, I checked that barebones vga driver can drive the panel correctly.

Does anyone have any thoughts here? I'd settle for using the open source (but less functional) radeon driver at this point, but I can't get that to work either.

Many, many thanks in advance for any help.
10drill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this guide to get my Radeon 9000 Mobility working perfectly, and there is lots of Radeon threads in these forums...good luck!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=137811
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: