Slow GRipping?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Slow GRipping? Reply with quote

Ok...Win2K using CDex, machine rips to a .wav like a big dog, and only uses 5-10% CPU time.

In Linux (Gentoo..2.4.19 vanilla kernel) It rips to a .wav at maximum of 15x and uses 100% cpu time to do it. This is using GRip and CDparanoia with all the paranoia shut off. It seems to do better using xcdroast, but it doesn't have a display to tell how quick it is moving. It just seems noticeably faster. I thought I read that xcdroast uses cdparanoia, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hardware--Tbird 1.4 on a KT7A-Raid Mobo (not using the imitation RAID, just as single drives right now). HD is a WD800JB. CD-Rom is a Lite-On 48x40 CD-RW.

I originally had this on a Asus A7A266 mobo, but thought maybe it was the Ali chipset giving me problems, even though it wasn't that way in windows. All operational drives come up with DMA on.

Any ideas? I can't stand that Windows is a faster ripper.

--vern
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15x ripping speed is extremely good for grip! My drives just give me about 5x.
Regarding the cpu usage: Same thing here. I have no idea why it takes so much cpu. It makes my system completely unresponsive. I'll try with nice next time, may be it helps...
vern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...for a drive that maxes out at about 40X in Windows? Is there a reason?

Ok, so does anyone know of a faster and reasonably automated alternative?

I'd like the thing to rip as fast and use as little CPU as possible so I could load it up with 2 fast ripping drives and get piles of .wav files that I could encode w/ Ogg or Lame while the machine is sitting around w/ nothing to do.

At 15x, I'll never get through all my CD's, and it makes my machine virtually unusable for anything else.
GentooNewbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdparanoia is digitally ripped and the speed of digital rips is never the same as max speed. i remember nero would tell you your max audio rip speed. i have a 32x cdrw but can only rip at like 14x-18x (don't quite remember) .

even though you may be running scsi emulation is DMA enable for your cdrom? that can help.

also applying the low-latency patch to your kernel. i am running 2.4.19 vanilla + low-latency. don't quite trust the pre-empt stuff.

give your encoder a nice value of 10 in grip

even though paranoia lowers my rip speed to what it says is 4x-6x, my system is completely responsive and my encodes usually finish faster than my rips so i never use more than one encode queue
dj_choco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gentoo-sources 2.4.19 with low-latency/prempt on a 550mhz p3. I am currently listening to xmms, ripping cds (very quicky) and encoding to ogg. I using cdparanoia and oggenc.

cdparanoia uses about 15% - 30% of CPU.

Is GRip encoding as soon as the first track is ripped?
encoding does use up 99% CPU, but the system is still pretty responsive.

My system is very responsive and I have not had to nice any programs. I have 384Mb of RAM and 2Gb of swap.

I am running fluxbox for my window manager, gkrellm, and mozilla as well :D

As far as cd-rom drive speed, I do not know how fast my drive is, it's a DVD drive. I ripped a 50 minute CD in 12 minutes.

My encodes run very slowly :?

In the directory you want the *.wav files, how fast does
Code:
cdparanoia -B
take to rip a CD (that is, outside of GRip)?

Last edited by dj_choco on Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is slower to rip digitaly.
try with the digital form under windoze to see how fast it goes.
or try cdda2wav

Get lost before you get shot.
vern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even though you may be running scsi emulation is DMA enable for your cdrom? that can help.

DMA is on for all drives (just double checked under /proc/ide)
Quote:
also applying the low-latency patch to your kernel. i am running 2.4.19 vanilla + low-latency. don't quite trust the pre-empt stuff.

This may be stupid question # 1,000,000 of the day, but where do I find more information about the Low latency and pre-empt patches? What would it do for me?
Quote:
I have gentoo-sources 2.4.19 with low-latency/prempt on a 550mhz p3. I am currently listening to xmms, ripping cds (very quicky) and encoding to ogg. I using cdparanoia and oggenc.

cdparanoia uses about 15% - 30% of CPU.

15-30% CPU? What? With CDparanoia being the only process actively running (i.e. before and after my usage was bouncing @ around 1-5%) I go to 90%+ utilization. This is on a Athlon 1.4 w/ 512 MB of RAM. Top reports somewhere around 6% utilization for the CDParanoia process, but there has got to be more to the story than that. My System utilization in Top goes up to about 80%, so I'm guessing that is what is spinning the CD and HD.
Quote:
Is GRip encoding as soon as the first track is ripped?
encoding does use up 99% CPU, but the system is still pretty responsive.

No. This is telling GRip to just rip. The encoding seems to be happening as expected, so I'm isolating it to just the ripping portion.
Quote:
n the directory you want the *.wav files, how fast does
Code:
cdparanoia -B
take to burn a CD (that is, outside of GRip)?

I guess I probably shouldn't whine too much...It took me 12:45 to rip a 72:59 CD. That equates to 5.73x. I'm just trying to figure out why it's using so much System CPU time, or if that's just the nature of the beast (which it sounds like it is).
Quote:
it is slower to rip digitaly.
try with the digital form under windoze to see how fast it goes.

This is where I loose comprehension...I thought that I was ripping digitally everywhere--That's why I bought a drive with good (48X rating) DAE (Digital audio extraction) speeds.
Quote:
or try cdda2wav

I guess I might have to. I wonder why there is no ebuild for it.

What do I gain by it being this slow? There has to be something...if I turn all the paranoia off (cdparanoia -B -Z), I end up doing the same rip as above in 5:50, which equates to roughly 12.5x

Ugh. Any further suggestions? Would the kernel patches really improve things?

Thanks for everyone's help.
--vern
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj_choco wrote:
I have 384Mb of RAM and 2Gb of swap.

8O 8O 8O

2 Gig of swap? Wow! How slow is your system when that is getting used? Seems like 256 Meg or 512 Meg max would be plenty.

RagManX
GentooNewbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I disable paranoia it get a 12x-13x rip when using grip.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a great time using abcde with cdparanoia as the ripper. Check my other post in this forum for more info on it and my config file.

After I got my hdparm settings perfect, it takes about 12 minutes to rip and encode a full CD. This is much better than Exact Audio Copy in Win2k.
mihochan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some strange problems with abcde lately.

It used to work nicely but I updated the macine to Gentoo 1.4 and now it is as slow as a dog.

cdparanoia runs quickly by itself but very slowly when executed by abcde.

I tried fiddling the options in the abcde conf file but no luck.

Anyone else had this problem?

Tom

PS My stop gap solution is to run a cron job at night.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1.4ghz AMD chip with 512 of ram, and 56x generic cd drive, I am currently ripping with all cd paranoia on at 7.7x sustained while encoding ogg files at about 4-5x and browsing via mozilla and listening to Phish via xmms (ogg file) and I have slypheed open.
Oggenc is taking up about 70% of processor while grip shows about 20%, xmms sharing the rest with moz and sylpheed.
I have 512Meg of swap.
With cd paranoia off, I rip around 16-20x.
I have Epox 8kha+ board with via onboard ide, runnin gentoo kernel with preempt and low latency, with no problems.

If you want any more info on my system, seeing as you have similar setup as for specs, please let me know. I will be more than willing to help you kill Windows :)

As for my setup, I have not done anything fancy. I have both my cd drives on the same ide channel, and two hd's on the other. I just emerged grip this morning and the only things I changed were the directory that it rips into and to put ogg on 256Kbit/sec. What version of grip are you running?

-Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: