Hows this look? (CFLAGS)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jestic008
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Hows this look? (CFLAGS) Reply with quote

I changed my make.conf, make.conf.build and make.globals files to have the following.

CFLAGS="-march=duron -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

I figured duron since after all, i have a duron 1200Mhz.

I noticed in the Makefile under /usr/src/linux its a whole different ballgame there.

Would i be safe to put those two lines up there in the Makefile and still assume safety?

Also, since i just discovered these two lines how is it possible to rebuild the ENTIRE system again with those ? cause frankly KDE is still a dog when it comes to speed.

Thanks
Luder99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: I couldn't get Duron to work... Reply with quote

Had to replace it with athlon-tbird.

Maybe they changed things. I tried it aobut 3 weeks ago or so...

Shouldn't see any different, duron = athlon-tbird for everything that really matters. Well, instruction set wise...

KP
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hows this look? (CFLAGS) Reply with quote

Jestic008 wrote:
Would i be safe to put those two lines up there in the Makefile and still assume safety?

No. People will disagree with me, and say "I use -O9 -munroll-everything -mscramble-registers and there's no problem at all...rac's on crack!" You can choose to believe them. In my experience, the kernel has very good reasons for choosing its preferred compiler options, and you are better off respecting them.

Quote:
Also, since i just discovered these two lines how is it possible to rebuild the ENTIRE system again with those ?

It will take a while, but "emerge -e world".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: