Recompiled kernel; now syslog-ng and X won't start [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Recompiled kernel; now syslog-ng and X won't start [solved] Reply with quote

I recompiled my kernel to use modules for some options I wasn't often using, and to clear out any old stuff I did a "make clean" before compiling. When I rebooted with the new kernel, syslog-ng gave the error "error initializing configuration; exiting" and the X loading failed; manually saying startx gave "cannot establish any listening sockets - make sure another x server isn't running". KDE certainly didn't load. When shutting down, there was an "error stopping kdm" also.

Other applications seemed to work fine, strangely enough. I did emerge -eD system, emerge -eD xorg-x11, recompiled the kernel back to even more conservative settings (including no modules, though keeping support for loading them) than before the errors, redid the X config files, removed then readded the offending apps with rc-update, etc., but syslog and the GUI still don't work.

I'm running gentoo dev sources 2.6.5 and X.org, which worked fine before this recompile.

Unfortunately, b/c syslog-ng doesn't run I don't think I have too many logs. The Xorg log just has the "cannot establish sockets" error. I am fairly new to Linux so please tell me if anything more would be of help or if this is something "obvious".

Last edited by Varuna on Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you've forgotten to compile in Unix domain socket support. You'll find it in Device drivers -> Networking support -> Networking options -> Unix domain sockets. Compile it into the kernel, not as a module, since basically every system under the sun needs them (no point in adding the module overhead).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked! :) Thank you, moocha! I had intentionally disabled networking support, since I'm now home for the summer and no longer on a network. I didn't realize the system used networking internally, too...
bocacorazon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Yep, that did it. Reply with quote

I also had the same problem and the solution proposed worked.

Thanks moocha :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: