Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNUstep on Gentoo: how many of us are there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not sure ... that last error message about gcc seems ominous ...

I'd emerge gcc again, try windowmaker again, and if it fails, I'd file a bug report bugs.gentoo.org

windowmaker "stable" is pretty old, but yeah, i've never seen that error message before...
0n0w1c
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed some CFLAGS, I bet that was it... I am rebuilding glibc now.

Update: Well, that did not do it... but it does appear to be a change that I made to my CFLAGS. It seems to spit-up on "-mtune=athlon-mp", it must not be valid, it may only be valid for >=gcc-3.4.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i wrote up a gworkspace ebuild ... find it here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55368 or wait until I post the tarball of up to date stuff in a short while, tonight

I suggest that if you are attempting to run a "as much as I can" GNUstep like DE, then install WindowMaker, and if you use GWorkspace, run only the GWorspace.app, and the Recycler.app if you wish, and use the WIndowMaker dock, for now. Dock.app is alright, but the icons do not update (yet).
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added PrefsModule framework and Preferences application to bugs.gentoo.org. Find them here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55372 and here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55374 respectively.

Preferences.app allows you to edit the GNUstep environment settings, so I'll be able to remove those helpful, but now useless config shell scripts. I probably should tell people what setting they _have_ to set, and what some defaults are. This also lets one setting the color of GNUstep apps, which is nice for at least color themes.

You can start Preferences at X startup, and it's Icon displays a clock and calendar. So, if the app is hidden, you only see the clock. Kind of handy.

PrefsModue is simple the framework that Preferences' (and others could) module's use.

Tarball soon to come, I swear.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will overwrite any old files from last tar, and add new ones.

okay, get new tar with:
Code:
cd /usr/local/portage
wget http://armando.xylite.com/gentoo/gnustep-gentoo-062704.tar.gz
tar xzvf gnustep-gentoo-062704.tar.gz

... this brings total things added to portage to 24 :-) I still havent' heard from dev's about info to become I dev/maintainer ... not sure what the slowness is because of ... i'm sure they're busy people and whatnot ...

With everyone's help here though, these ebuilds are becoming better and better, and to all: thanks!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help out with fafhrd's bandwidth, I've set up this page. The "HTML" setup guide is very minimal at this point, but I'll try to spruce it up soon.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for centralizing/hosting the file and those docs

as an addenum to the basic HOWTO, users should be reminded to add:
Code:
<category>/>package name> ~x86
...to their /etc/portage/package.keywords file for any new package added to the tar they want to install ....
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work on the previous errors. The base emerges went fine. A couple of things I'd like to verify:
  • Step 2.2: This needs to be done as the user running GNUstep apps, correct? I did, and here was the output. I wasn't sure if "nil" was normal in the last line:
    Code:
    # 2004-06-27 18:16:07.422 make_services[26280] Defaults home '/home/pete/GNUstep' did not exist - created it
    2004-06-27 18:16:07.427 make_services[26280] Defaults path '/home/pete/GNUstep/Defaults' did not exist - created it
    2004-06-27 18:16:07.471 make_services[26280] Creating defaults database file /home/pete/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults
    2004-06-27 18:16:07.483 make_services[26280] couldn't create (nil)

• When running /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/Gentoo/config-gnustep-base.sh (as the user running GNUstep...), is the timezone supposed to match the "real" timezone (I'm in Mountain)?
    Code:
    defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" America/New_York
    "Defaulting to America/New York"?

And.... another addwrite error I think. This time during "emerge -v app-gnustep/preferences":
Code:
/usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/mkinstalldirs /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Preferences
ACCESS DENIED  mkdir:     /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Preferences
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Preferences': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Preferences] Error 1
make: *** [Preferences.install.app.variables] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-gnustep/preferences-1.3.0_pre20040627 failed.
!!! Function egnustepinstall, Line 102, Exitcode 2
!!! einstall failed:

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-app-gnustep_-_preferences-1.3.0_pre20040627-29066.log"

mkdir:     /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Preferences
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I poked around in the ebuilds, but it appears to be using default portage functions to perform the compile/install functions. Wasn't sure how it would need to be added.

Also, as a side note, there is no rush to fix any errors I report. I'll try whatever fixes you have when you get around to them.

Quote:
I still havent' heard from dev's about info to become I dev/maintainer ... not sure what the slowness is because of ... i'm sure they're busy people and whatnot ...
I think I read in one of the bugs that the "lead" is on vacation for about a week. That is probably why.

Thanks for your hard work.
Klementas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to post.......I'm the guy who wrote the note in bugzilla supporting Gnustep in Gentoo. Great job on all these ebuilds! I was going to wait until it was put into portage, but I decided to go ahead and get your tarball. Everything has gone just fine except for Preferences; I got an error saying that the dir couldn't be created. Strange, since I emerge as root. I just did a mkdir and it installed just fine.

The only complaint I have has nothing to do with all the great work you're doing with the ebuilds. It's just that most of these apps are very buggy. I just tried to run GWorkspace, and it segfaults. GNUMail can't do IMAP without a ton of errors, plus is puts tons of lines in /var/log/messages. I wish it would stop doing that. I also get an error, something about cstring, on every single app. I just hit ignore button and it continues on, except for GWorkspace. Also, ProjectCenter doesn't work with Gorm. Oh well, maybe these bugs will get worked out some day and Gnustep will be the way to go!

Thanks again for all your hard work, I certainly hope that it gets put into portage.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted this likely won't matter if/when this stuff gets into portage, but here's some info...

Concerning having to edit /etc/make.profile/virtuals and add the virtual/gnutsep-back line every time after you rsync, 0n0w1c figured out that one can create a /etc/portage/profile/virtuals file that overlays like all the other files in /etc/portage. Just a note that it looks like this behavior is added to >=portage-2.0.51_pre*, or whatever you unstable ~x86 cats are running. :-)

This is good to note in case you are running this series version of portage, as it makes this one step easier. If you're still running the latest stable, at the moment in time, like me, you'll have to keep editting that file. But that's only once a day ... it is only once a day, right?! ;-)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works in portage 2.0.50-r7 as well (unmasked).
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm ...

I have sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8 , and when I tried to do "emerge -uDpv world", I got the DEPEND/*DEPEND problem because of lack of a virtual.

Could you remove it from /etc/make.profile/virtuals, and only add it to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals, and let me know if it work for you still?

I love it when computers seem like their performing wild magic. :-) Haven't had this much fun since I used to stay in at indoor recess and output different shaped parabolas on the Apple //e our classroom had. Fun. Oh yeah.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd wrote:
Could you remove it from /etc/make.profile/virtuals, and only add it to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals, and let me know if it work for you still?
It wasn't in make.profile/virtuals. I vaguely recall a similar problem, but I think I originally had "gnustep-base/gnustep-xlib" instead of "gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib" (in /etc/portage/profile/virtuals).

Quote:
I love it when computers seem like their performing wild magic. :-) Haven't had this much fun since I used to stay in at indoor recess and output different shaped parabolas on the Apple //e our classroom had. Fun. Oh yeah.
:D
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klementas --

yeah...gnustep and all it's apps are still somewhat experimental ... at least in the regard that apps come in three varieties: stable, "stable," and unstable. GWorkspace doesn't die on me at all ... are you running the latest version from my tarball?

GNUMail is definitely one of those "stable" apps ... it works, always has for ... but granted, I don't use IMAP. I suppose it's a sign of heavy development and not that many devs programming it.

ProjectCenter doesn't work with gorm? Like Gorm fails to load the .gorm file PC makes? Yeah... I just noticed that, too ... I'm putting together CVS pull releases that should take care of this issue. Looks like a bug or two got by the last offical releases.

And in general, I think that GNUstep is getting better, with an astonishing rate ... considering the number of developers. Objective-C in general maintains a pretty single minded paradigm with regards to being obect oriented, unlike C++ (both I love, but I believe C++'s multi-paradigm approach can lead the uninitiated downt the wrong road more readily that Objective-C). It's strange...it's an incredibly pleasant language to program in. I think, these original killer-app writers for GNUstep took a pretty hard challenge upon themselves, as the GNUstep core libraries themselves weren't that great until the last couple years (imho) ... but yeah, it's getting there...

thaks for testing! I'm probably gonna release another tarball today with some fixes for all this stuff.
baetis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd wrote:

Objective-C in general maintains a pretty single minded paradigm with regards to being obect oriented, unlike C++ (both I love, but I believe C++'s multi-paradigm approach can lead the uninitiated downt the wrong road more readily that Objective-C). It's strange...it's an incredibly pleasant language to program in.

God. This statement is so true. I wish more people coded in Objective C. Even without OpenStep/GNUstep/Cocoa its still a joy to code in.

Oh well.
magi.sys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: YOU GUYS ROCK! Reply with quote

I love obj-c and *Step frameworks. I hope more of us realize how great it is. All we need now is a clone of Quantrix, Lighthouse OpenWrite, and other great apps. I wonder if there are any opensource spreadsheet and workprocessors for OS X that can be ported to GNUStep?
Klementas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd,

fafhrd wrote:
Klementas --

GWorkspace doesn't die on me at all ... are you running the latest version from my tarball?

Yes I am. Here is what is output when I try and start the app from a command line:

2004-06-29 08:16:03.355 GWorkspace[6591] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/lichte/GNUstep/Library/Thumbnails/thumbnails.plist) attempt failed - No such file or directory
2004-06-29 08:16:03.391 GWorkspace[6591] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/lichte/GNUstep/Library/Thumbnails/thumbnails.plist) attempt failed - No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

I really hope to get this program going. It was the one thing that made me want to try Gnustep. I also noticed that GWorkspace needs a PDFkit in order to view PDF files. Is this PDFkit a Gnustep program? If so, what are the chances of getting an ebuild for it? ;)

I also get the following error from every Gnustep progam when I either start it, or bring up a file dialog:

NSCharacterConversionException: Can't get cString from Unicode string.

I don't know what causes this, and its not really a showstopper, just wondering if you get the same thing.

Quote:

ProjectCenter doesn't work with gorm? Like Gorm fails to load the .gorm file PC makes? Yeah... I just noticed that, too ... I'm putting together CVS pull releases that should take care of this issue. Looks like a bug or two got by the last offical releases.

Great! I'd really like to give ObjC/Gnustep a try. Looks like PC/Gorm will be a nice environment to code in.

Quote:

thaks for testing! I'm probably gonna release another tarball today with some fixes for all this stuff.

No prob. Thanks for all your work! I look forward to your new ebuilds. :D
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes I am. Here is what is output when I try and start the app from a command line:

2004-06-29 08:16:03.355 GWorkspace[6591] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/lichte/GNUstep/Library/Thumbnails/thumbnails.plist) attempt failed - No such file or directory
2004-06-29 08:16:03.391 GWorkspace[6591] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/lichte/GNUstep/Library/Thumbnails/thumbnails.plist) attempt failed - No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

Hrm. From the command line, try running "make_services" (although GNUstep.sh runs this for you, so any apps started after that have the newest info and such). Launch GWorspace again. If it still happens, in GWorkspace (does it segfault immeadiately?) run Services->Thumbnails->Make Thumbnails in a directory with Pictures. This should create that directory, and any needed files. If it still dies .... well, here's the thing ... I wanted to get this stuff in portage, before this, but I want to add a "build debug" logic to GNUstep programs, as usually things sorts of bugs are _easy_ to figure out with debugging info ... a GWorkspace.debug debuild will output any information we need. Hopefully.

Could you also post your emerge -info? I'm wondering what GCC you have, especially.

also, please post the output of:
Code:
qpkg -I gnustep -v

Quote:
NSCharacterConversionException: Can't get cString from Unicode string.
This, I gotta say, I've never seen. Definitely post that previous requested info. Also, are you using libffi? (Sketchier for me than ffcall). And these are error dialogs, right? Not just CLI output?
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and to all that watch this thread

I'm working on the next tarball ... Preferences will work now, it just needed a quick GNUmakefile patch. Also updating projectcenter, gorm, and gnumail.

Looking for more sensible apps to add as well.
Klementas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd,

I can't do anything in GWorkspace, it segfaults as soon as I click on the "ignore" button on the cString error dialog box. I tried your suggestions but nothing worked.

here is my emerge info:

Portage 2.0.50-r8 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.3, glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r0, 2.6.5-ge
ntoo-r1)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 i686 VIA Samuel 2
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=c3 -m3dnow -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/s
hare/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dv
ipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config
/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=c3 -m3dnow -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/tmp/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linu
x/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
PKGDIR="/tmp/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
PORTDIR="/tmp/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3ds X X509 Xaw3d aalib acpi acpi4linux activefilter alsa apache2 athe
na atlas audiofile avi berkdb cddb cle266 crypt cscope cups curl dedicated dga d
illo divx4linux djbfft dnd doc dv dvd emacs encode escreen ethereal f77 faac faa
d fdftk fftw flac flash fltk fluidsynth fmod foomaticdb gd gdbm ggi gif gimpprin
t glade gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 icq idl imagemagick imap imlib imlib2 jabber jack
jack-caps jack-tmpfs javascript jpeg ladcca lcms libcaca libwww live lufsusermo
unt mad mbox mcal md5sum mikmod mmx mng motif mozilla moznocompose moznoirc mozn
omail mozsvg mpeg mpeg4 mpi mplayer msn ncurses net nogcj nomac objc oggvorbis o
pengl oscar oss pam parse-clocks pcap pda pdflib perl plotutils png ppds python
qt quicktime radeon readline ruby ruby18 sdl skey slang slp sox speex spell sqli
te ssl svg tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype unicode usb video_cards_radeon videos
vim-with-x wmf wxwindows x86 xgetdefault xml xml2 xmms xprint xv xvid yahoo yv12
zlib"

here is qpkg -I gnustep -v:

app-gnustep/terminal-0.9.5_pre20040616 *
app-gnustep/gnumail-1.2.0_pre20040616 *
app-gnustep/addresses-0.4.5 *
app-gnustep/preferences-1.3.0_pre20040627 *
app-gnustep/affiche-0.6.0 *
app-gnustep/gworkspace-0.6.6_pre20040627 *
gnustep-extra/prefsmodule-1.1.1_pre20040627 *
gnustep-extra/pantomime-1.2.0_pre20040616 *
gnustep-extra/artresources-0.1.2 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-back-art-0.9.3 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-env-0.1.0 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-make-1.9.2 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib-0.9.3 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-base-1.9.2 *
gnustep-base/gnustep-gui-0.9.3 *
dev-gnustep/gorm-0.7.7 *
dev-gnustep/projectcenter-0.4.0 *
dev-gnustep/renaissance-0.8.0 *
Klementas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, forgot your other questions!

I'm not using libffi. And yes, the cString errors are in a dialog box, not CLI. GWorkspace however just segfaults with no ouput, unless I run it from an xterm , then it spits out what I've posted on the CLI.

Let me know if there is any other info that you need. Thanks again for all your help!
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great, I haven't run GNUstep in a while, I'll definitely try out these new ebuilds fafhrd!

Now, if I can find a way to combine GNUstep, E17 and Rox... ;-)
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was recently thinking that e17 and it's libs would _rock_ with GNUstep ...

gnustep-back/gui needs to get updated to better support NETWM hints for window managers and such, but when it does, (once again) any window manager should "just work" ... the only real addition would be a openstep and/or os x like dock, but one that icons could be updated, ala WindowMaker or any WM that can run "Dock apps" ... such as the dock described here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=174279&highlight=pretty+engage...which just so happens to be built on the E17 libaries. :-)

Not only that, but someone (*sigh* yeah, I thought about it for a while, but I'm on other projects at the moment) should make an evas backend ... conceivably, as evas get ported everywhere, so does GNUstep backend ;-) ... that and hardware acceleared stuff just working, would be great ... heck, the fast software rendering would be great.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so this thread (and I) made this week's GWN, it seems ...

... so what am I now? a 17th degree geek? ;-)

I'd like to thank the Academy ...

fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, made another tar

this one offers:
- improved eclass
- preferences should compile for everyone now
- updated projectcenter
- updated gorm

http://armando.xylite.com/gentoo/gnustep-gentoo-062904.tar.gz

If you're new to this thread, check out the brief HOWOT at the top of page 3 ... I'll post updates accordingly. And most importantly: LEAVE FEEDBACK. This is, to me, the most important step, otherwise, this project is only good for me, not for everyone else, and that's just no fun. ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: