anothe4 qt and qt-block query
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecooptoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: anothe4 qt and qt-block query Reply with quote

ive read the stuff i could find and have goit this far :
Code:
skippy paul # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>=dev-util/netbeans-5.5.1
<x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b
skippy paul #     

and then when i try to emerge qt by itself
Code:
skippy paul # emerge -puv qt

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.2  USE="qt3support ssl -debug -doc -glib -pch" 102,858 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.2  USE="mysql qt3support sqlite -debug -firebird -odbc -pch -postgres" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2-r1  USE="accessibility cups dbus qt3support tiff -debug -glib -mng -nas -nis -pch -xinerama" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.2  USE="accessibility -debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.2  USE="qt3support -debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.2  USE="-debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-assistant-4.4.2-r1  USE="webkit -debug -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-libs/qt-4.4.2 [4.3.3] USE="dbus opengl qt3support (-accessibility%*) (-cups%*) (-debug%) (-doc%) (-examples%) (-firebird%) (-gif%*) (-glib%) (-jpeg%*) (-mng%) (-mysql%*) (-nas%) (-nis%) (-odbc%) (-pch%) (-png%*) (-postgres%) (-sqlite%*) (-sqlite3%*) (-ssl%*) (-tiff%*) (-xinerama%) (-zlib%*)" INPUT_DEVICES="(-wacom%)" 0 kB
[blocks b     ] x11-libs/qt-core ("x11-libs/qt-core" is blocking x11-libs/qt-4.3.3)
[blocks b     ] <=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4 ("<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4" is blocking x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2-r1, x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-assistant-4.4.2-r1, x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.2)

i assume i need to upgrade qt from 4.3.3 tp 4.4.2 and the other problems with go +/- a revdep-reuild ?

but how ? [/quote]
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there's a little detail that many people miss about that upgrade:
as x11-libs/qt became a metapackage, there's no need to actually have it
- by now I think all packages depend on the actual components (qt-core,
qt-gui, etc.).
Gambit89
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out! In short, the commands that I typed are:
Code:
emerge -av --unmerge x11-libs/qt:4
revdep-rebuild -- -av
emerge -avuDNt world

And I am happily emerging world! :D I also have "<x11-libs/qt-4.4:4" in my package.mask for good measure (recommended from here, though it didn't pick up any problems on my system).

The hint for me was the mysterious, but very specific block: "<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4". Output from "eix x11-libs/qt" showed that I had qt-4.3.4-r1 installed, but it was masked, along with the other qt-4.3 versions. This block had to have come from an ebuild, so to test, I ran:
Code:
grep -ri "<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4" /usr/portage/

and it output results like
Code:
/usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.2:~x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2 !<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4

for most, if not all, of the qt-4.4 ebuilds. It seemed that qt-4.3 is "blocked" twice, once in package.mask, and another time in the qt-4.4 ebuilds! In retrospect, this is probably because the portage maintainers *really* wanted us to upgrade! So I ran the first command to unmerge qt-4.3 (hint from here), but this more likely than not broke something, so I did a revdep-rebuild right after. Even though I didn't explicitly emerge qt-4.4, the revdep-rebuild would pick it up as a dependency and emerge it. As a result, the last command, emerge world, won't have any qt-4.4 related packages in its list, as the revdep-rebuild already emerged them.

Be sure to do the revdep-rebuild, as it'll pick up those packages depending on qt-4 that aren't in the emerge world list. I also didn't have to mess with my qt-3.3.8b-r1 install during all this, but YMMV. Good luck. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: