question about running a local portage mirror
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: question about running a local portage mirror Reply with quote

i've got a portage mirror running on my lan right now, and it works perfectly. but it's on my desktop, and since i've got a number of unused computers lying around, i would like to just use one of those for the mirror.

my question is about doing automatic updates to the portage system...since it is on my desktop right now, i just sync it whenever i feel the need, and don't have to worry about another computer trying to sync when i am syncing the mirror. but i would like to set it up to sync via cronjob every couple days or so, and let my roommates use it as well. do i have to worry about these "simultaneous syncs?" or should i have the cron job shut down the rsync server while it syncs? i guess what i am really trying to ask is how do the official portage mirrors take care of this issue, if there is anything to be taken care off.
(i know, with such a small number of users this will probably not be an issue, but i don't like leaving little issues like this hanging)
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you will be syncing with an official mirror every few days (once a week is more than enough, really - read the docs) and a local rsync over LAN will take - what? 10 seconds ? there really isn't much of a chance of collisions.
Even so - play smart ;-) :

- During your rsync mirror update, disable the rsync server so the LAN clients can't update during your mirror sync.
- Advise them to set a cron job for it as well, preferably a few hours away from yours so the chances of collision drop to zero.

mmm'kay ?

BTW it's an "rsync mirror" - a portage mirror would set you back about 50 GB...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: