Gentoo hangs on boot....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techiem2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Gentoo hangs on boot.... Reply with quote

When gentoo tries to boot, it gets through the drive detection step and then says:
Partition Check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3

And hangs there.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
dev-null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i got the same problem, 13,7 Gb Fujitsu, hooked up as the only hdd.
Finds the CD-Rom, and hdd and spits this out;

Partition Check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0

Jsut that mine can sit there and wait a whole day. (DUH! - yea yea i know lame, just felt like seeing if it will work or smth.)

I'm installing on a Old AT mainboard, on a Chipset Via 82 something, /w 64 Mb ram K-6II 450 Mhz, ATI RagePro AGP (8 Mb?), and a Realtek 100 Mb lancard.

Anyways, this isn't the only linux that has the problem with my hdd....
Caldara, Mandrake and now Gentoo also dun like something...

Any ideas whats up ? Or perhaps a solution has already been written and i have overlooked it.

Greetings,
dev-null
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techiem2: Is this when booting from the install CD? Can you boot from the 1.2 CD?

dev-null: Are you certain your hardware will recognize a 13GB drive?
dev-null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUesh i'm sure, it sees up to 20 Gigs, i mean i had debian installed on this box before, it ran smoothley. Looks like when it tried to read some stuff off the hdd it looses contact and just sits there.
Possie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev-null: can you check the surface of your disk. Maybe some bad clusters on it. Right now a friend of mine is having this problem with his Windows box. As soon as a bad block is reached the computer is not responding...

Even though you see the whole disk, there could be a problem with having large partitions. Maybe keep them smaller as 7.8 GB.

Hope this could help.
dev-null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do highly dobt that, my m8 got gentoo on a P4 2,1 Ghz box and a 320 Gig disk, runs fine.. so i think i jsut might be the kernel or smth to do with the software, scince other linuxes work fine (and yes i want gentoo - i saw it, used it, want it!) :)
Possie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do highly dobt that, my m8 got gentoo on a P4 2,1 Ghz box and a 320 Gig disk,

But your friend is not using an old mobo as you do:
Quote:
I'm installing on a Old AT mainboard, on a Chipset Via 82 something, /w 64 Mb ram K-6II 450 Mhz, ATI RagePro AGP (8 Mb?), and a Realtek 100 Mb lancard.

Make sure is is not your hardware (maybe you have a very small spare disk to check).
UclaBob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally unrelated to the above talking...but, my newly installed Gentoo also dies on boot

"uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xbf80, IRQ 11"

is the last line I see....

Installed on a Dell Inspirion 4150....any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob
Q2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: LiveCD lacks support for lots of hardware - use 1.2 CD! Reply with quote

Hey,

Your hardware is probably fine. The 1.4 CD lacks support for *LOTS* of hardware. Use the 1.2 install cd. Then life will be good!

Why they don't create a real install 1.4 CD is beyone me. Given that the LiveCD even the basic one won't install stage 1 on most hardware as it lacks the network drivers to get the packages.

The stage 3 builds don't hammer the mirrors the way the stage 1 builds do. So by braking the networking on install they are forcing you to use a stage 3 build.

Use 1.2 to install 1.4 if you want to do a stage 1 build

Cya,
Dan
UclaBob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to install the 1.2??? That's no good (I feel like I'm sooo close)...

Looking at all the kernel messages, there seems to be an awful lot of stuff sharing IRQ 11....

Anybody else encounter this, with a Dell Laptop?

Bob
Q2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: 1.2? No. 1.4! Reply with quote

Just use 1.2 to Boot! You can still use the 1.4 tar files for stageWhatever.
ragefan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UclaBob wrote:
I have to install the 1.2??? That's no good (I feel like I'm sooo close)...

Looking at all the kernel messages, there seems to be an awful lot of stuff sharing IRQ 11....

Anybody else encounter this, with a Dell Laptop?

Bob

Bob, my i8.1k does the same thing but I've had no problems with it. the 1.4rc installed great on my machine (Rock solid).

Ragefan
UclaBob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.2? No. 1.4! Reply with quote

Q2 wrote:

So you are suggesting that I use 1.2 to boot....and then remerge all? I was thinking that it was something in the kernel compile that I did wrong...maybe an option that I didn't enable or perhaps one that I did...I guess I'll try recompiling the kernel first....I've never installed linux on a laptop before...its more fun then I imagined it 8)

Bob
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2? No. 1.4! Reply with quote

Q2 wrote:

I am having exactly the same problem. I started with the livecd with 1.4 on it and that booted correctly. I have managed to finish all the stages and compile the kernel with no errors. I set up grub to allow me to boot xp pro or gentoo. However, when I choose to boot gentoo I get this error: it freezes on partition check

Partition check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7 >

I don't think the problem is in booting into the system from the cd, but booting once the installation is almost complete. Any suggestions?
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: partition check problem fixed Reply with quote

During boot it hangs at:
Partition check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: etc, etc.

I had this error when installing from the latest version 1.4_rc1 on my Toshiba 5105-S701. I had used the livecd and everything had worked from stage1 up until the point of booting the computer with livecd. Then the problem above occurs. After many hours of fooling around and reading the archive I found out that the easiest way for me to fix the problem was to use the vanilla-source and not the "less stable" gentoo-source. Hopefully, a patch will be released to fix this problem. After recompiling the kernel using the vanilla-source everything worked perfectly! I am in the middle of compiling kde!

Email me if you have any questions, though this is my first linux install other than a brief fling with mandrake before returning to win2000.

Scott
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Hanging after uhci.c too... Reply with quote

UclaBob wrote:
totally unrelated to the above talking...but, my newly installed Gentoo also dies on boot

"uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xbf80, IRQ 11"

is the last line I see....

Bob

Wow, my new install is hanging in the exact same place! I have an Intel AL440LX (somewhat older MB, and not a laptop), did a 1.4_rc1 stage 1 with gentoo-sources, and when I lauched my new system it hangs on the same line as UclaBob (although my USB UHCI is I/O ox1480, IRQ9).

So if anyone figure's out UclaBob's problem, be sure to post as it may fix me too!

Thanx
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which type of kernel sources are you using (gentoo or vanilla)?
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some trouble to boot on a via c3 800Mhz, I had to disable SMP in kernel to stop him hanging... Also try to disable all usb chip in kernel. I think you have booted with 1.4 installed everything and your problem come when you reboot after everything else. I may misunderstood.
ahuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

px wrote:
I had some trouble to boot on a via c3 800Mhz, I had to disable SMP in kernel to stop him hanging... Also try to disable all usb chip in kernel. I think you have booted with 1.4 installed everything and your problem come when you reboot after everything else. I may misunderstood.

Hi guys!

I´m having the same problem! Compiling the whole USB-stuff as modules is a workaround for the irq-problems. But now it hangs at start local. I´ve found the topic to disable SMP. Done, recompiling and the compiling stop at the SMP-features. Must I disable anything else? Are there dependences for SMP?

So long ...

Alex Huth
zeroseen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo hangs on boot.... Reply with quote

[quote="techiem2"]When gentoo tries to boot, it gets through the drive detection step and then says:
Partition Check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3

I'm running a Fujitsu p2120 laptop and I had to reconfigure my Kernel on my Livecd in order to get even as far as that, but I was stuck here too. I deleted my old linux partitions and compiled a new kernel with vanilla sources on the live cd and it worked - im not sure what did it - erasing old partitions or new kernel but hopefully this helps.
d_f0rce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just found your thread after I wrote about the exact same problem in
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25931

My kernel "hangs" after the TCP network drivers or if I compile in USB support at the USB drivers. But I think the kernel has booted completly and wants to mount the root file system or start init. Moreover it doesn't really seem to hang as after a while I get a "spurious int on irq7" message as I don't have compiled in any parallel port support.

Booting from the 1.4 installation cd works fine (as I've used this cd to install the system) but using the kernel from the install cd to boot the system doesn't work, too. The cd kernel hangs at the exact same place.

I would be interested to know how to figure out if the kernel hangs on trying to mount root or if it hangs on starting init.

Greetings,
d_f0rce

PS: My system has a VIA 82X chipset, too. Though I use SCSI disks and cdroms this could be the problem.
huz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My kernel "hangs" after the TCP network drivers or if I compile in USB support at the USB drivers

yeahh .. i'm not alone \o/

ok I've currently exactly the same pb with the 2.4.19-r10.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: