Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Already partitioned and installed, can I change it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stingray72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Already partitioned and installed, can I change it? Reply with quote

Just like the title says... I've already partitioned and install Gentoo on /dev/hdd. The machine is a dual boot with Redhat on /dev/hda (not for long).

This is what my partitions (or lack there of) look like

Code:

> df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdd2              37G  5.7G   29G  17% /
tmpfs                 1.0M  252K  772K  25% /mnt/.init.d
/dev/hda2              55G  6.9G   45G  14% /mnt/redhat

What I'd like to do is either

A. reformat /dev/hda and create the paritition tables that I like and move my Gentoo install there (really don't want to reinstall)

or

B. somehow resize the / parition on /dev/hdd and create a /home and others and just keep Gentoo on /dev/hdd.

If it's any help, right now I have lilo on /mbr of /dev/hda.

Do I have options here guys? What would you do?

Thanks[/code]
fava
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try parted, it will allow you to resize your partitions for some file systems with some limitations. http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/ contains a list.

A package is available so you can just "emerge sys-apps/parted".

PartitionMagic is a commercial program that will resize partitions without some of the limitations of parted but it does have a few limits of its own. Its about $70

Fred Van Andel
stingray72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to use parted and try and resize and create the new partitions. I'm also going to try and get the pc to boot off /dev/hdd since I really don't use Redhat (hda) any longer. I'll reformat that drive later since it's still a working OS.

since /dev/hdd3 is swap, I'll have to delete that and then resize my /dev/hdd2 partition (/) down to 6G to accomodate all the stuff I have on there. What I was thinking is something like this...

/dev/hdd1 /boot ~100M
/dev/hdd2 / ~6G
/dev/hdd3 /var ~1G
/dev/hdd4 /tmp ~1G
/dev/hdd5 /home ~30G (web server is in here)
/dev/hdd6 swap 250M (I've got 256M Ram)

Once I finish this and modify my /ets/fstab, will I have to copy all the info in /home, /tmp and /var (now on /) to the new partitions before I reboot the computer?

One last thing. Since the PC boots now from /dev/hda with LILO. When I decide not to dual boot it any longer, all I would have to do is uninstall LILO from /dev/hda, setup GRUB on /dev/hdd and then set the BIOS to boot from /dev/hdd correct?

Sorry, I just want to be completely ready for this before I get into it and royally screw up my Gentoo install

BTW, I have backed up my /home directory already :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: