Portage and LFS's SBU
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Portage and LFS's SBU Reply with quote

Just an idea here. It would be nice to have a similar unit to the SBU in the portage database. For those of you who do not know what an SBU is here is a quote from the Linux From Scratch's 5.1 book online.
Quote:
Most people would like to know beforehand approximately how long it takes to compile and install each package. But "Linux from Scratch" is built on so many different systems, it is not possible to give actual times that are anywhere near accurate: the biggest package (Glibc) won't take more than twenty minutes on the fastest systems, but will take something like three days on the slowest -- no kidding. So instead of giving actual times, we've come up with the idea of using the Static Binutils Unit (abbreviated to SBU).

It works like this: the first package you compile in this book is the statically linked Binutils in Chapter 5, and the time it takes to compile this package is what we call the “Static Binutils Unit” or “SBU”. All other compile times will be expressed relative to this time.

For example, consider a particular package whose compilation time is 4.5 SBUs. This means that if on your system it took 10 minutes to compile and install the static Binutils, then you know it will take approximately 45 minutes to build this package. Fortunately, most build times are much shorter than the one of Binutils.

Note that if the system compiler on your host is GCC-2 based, the SBUs listed may end up being somewhat understated. This is because the SBU is based on the very first package, compiled with the old GCC, while the rest of the system is compiled with the newer GCC-3.3.2 which is known to be approximately 30% slower.

Also note that SBUs don't work well for SMP-based machines. But if you're so lucky as to have multiple processors, chances are that your system is so fast that you won't mind.

http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/view/5.1/chapter04/aboutsbus.html
I think it would be great to have. The linux From Scratch people have the same problem as Gentoo with varying compile times.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all duee respect, what's so bad about doing
Code:
# time emerge <package>
?
nuggien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
With all duee respect, what's so bad about doing
Code:
# time emerge <package>
?

maybe you should actually read the post...
Brother Dysk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's sure useful - time emerge xx. Then you can come back five hours and say, "Oh, that'll take five hours. Good thing I planned for that".
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old idea, nowhere near accurate because of CFLAGS, USE flags, many packages spend more time in unpacking/configure/copying than compiling, several other factors I forgot to mention.

Similar reasons why we won't implement a progressbar for portage anytime soon.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, cool. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :-) Now I know. Thanks.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but too bad it's not really possible. Maybe if the developers of the software included little time markers in the code, but I'd rather them get things developed better than add that. :wink:
uglyb0b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many variables, and isn't half the fun of merging not knowing how long it's going to take? Like russian system roulette

Linux geek and Mac whore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: