Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Mail: Hotmail blocks mail from your mail server!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ariejan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Mail: Hotmail blocks mail from your mail server! Reply with quote

I've noticed that Hotmail's anti-spam policy is to drop email send from IP's that belong to 'users'. Certain IP nets have been marked to belong to 'customers'.

For example, if you run you own mail server through a regular ISP account (Cable or DSL), your IP is marked as being a consumer. Hotmail recognises email send from you and drops them as spam.

How can we solve this problem? The trick is to relay outgoing email from your server throught the server of your ISP. This server is not blocked by Hotmail.

Here is a little guide on how to configure Postfix to relay outgoing mail through your ISP's mail server without compromising any functionality!

http://www.ariejan.net/content/view/36/2/

I'm not sure on how to setup other MTA's like qmail, sendmail and exim. If you do, feel free to post a comment so I can update the tutorial.

Enjoy!
dmoulton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISP's smtp server requires a user/password. Can postfix deal with that?
lysergicacid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmoulton wrote:
My ISP's smtp server requires a user/password. Can postfix deal with that?

see this link https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=191729&highlight=postfix+relay
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mail: Hotmail blocks mail from your mail server! Reply with quote

ariejan wrote:
I've noticed that Hotmail's anti-spam policy is to drop email send from IP's that belong to 'users'. Certain IP nets have been marked to belong to 'customers'.

For example, if you run you own mail server through a regular ISP account (Cable or DSL), your IP is marked as being a consumer. Hotmail recognises email send from you and drops them as spam.

Interesting. I would think this would have to do with a reverse dns lookup resolving to something like EG.. "c-64-130-29-153.client.comcast.net" So I would think you either don't have an mx record or when they are doing a reverse lookup the "reverse zone" maps to client ip/domain as above instead of he mx domain name..Hmmmmm

Do you have a public MX record mapped in DNS ?

I'm interested in setting up Postfix on my home lan just to get experience with setting up and using my own MTA. But I was reluctant to because I have a dynamic ip address, thus no MX records.
But if I can relay through my ISP's mail server that would be perfect.

But how would I do that with each user having a different user/name/password to fetch and send email ? We all use the same domain and smtp pop3 servers at the ISP... we just use different usrname and passwords when authenticating to fetch and send mail.

It would seem like I woud need to install "fetchmail" or "getmail" with the various POP3 accounts as well...

Do you know of any instructions for this kind of setup?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: