New Linux Audigy FAQ Website
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: New Linux Audigy FAQ Website Reply with quote

I've been faffing around with the Sourceforge audigy-emu10k1 driver alot and though I would make a webpage to try and document any problems and their solutions.

I have posted an ebuild that I use to install the latest version of the driver and setup the card properly and also some instructions and scripts.

I hope someone finds it useful and do mail me if anything on the page is wrong or if you have a problem with your Audigy under Linux so that the solutions can be posted for everyone to see.

http://basic-rip.co.uk/tenpin/linux_audigy_faq.html

(Note: Although the driver works for the SBLive I dont have one and wont be supporting it)
sylphid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this necessary? gentoo already has an audigy ebuild...

"emerge emu10k1-audigy" should do the trick. it works great for me.
borenson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello???

that ebuild is ancient

:roll:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borenson wrote:
that ebuild is ancient

Is there something wrong with it? Or do you believe that age alone means that something is useless? In which case, I had better start reading up on creative suicide methods. ;)
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt have made a new eBuild if I thought the old one was good enough. It may not be necessary for you but it makes sense to use the latest version of the driver.

Basically the driver in portage is from the 14th of February and the latest one was released a couple of weeks ago. The new driver has quite a few significant bug fixes...

Also I have rewritten the audigy-script file so that your card is setup optimally. In the default script theres a bug causing all sound to distort slightly at all volume levels, also among other things it doesnt setup recording properly...

Use it, or don't use it, I'm only trying to help out.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenpin is a legend, when is his ebuild going to be put in portage ? :D
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: bass/treble Reply with quote

i dont' use the audigy ebuild because it doesn't have bass/treble support

/Line72
Kenadin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ebuild...I have gone a month without rear speakers, and with your ebuild they work.
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: bass/treble Reply with quote

line72 wrote:
i dont' use the audigy ebuild because it doesn't have bass/treble support

/Line72

My eBuild does support bass/trebble control.

I have also updated it as I had missed a line to get recording working.
ZombiWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: question about audigy surround Reply with quote

i've used tenpin's audigy ebuild. for the most part everything is working just fine. however, i can get the rear channel sound to work when i'm playing mp3's with xmms. but if i try playing a cd with xmms or any other player, i only get sound from the front and from the sub. any ideas as to what i'm not getting right? should i be using alsa? startting to get frustrated on this one. half the time in trying to get it working i mess it up and loose the rear in xmms or loose sound all together, and have to start configuring the sound all over again.
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombiWolf:

To get the sound through the rear speakers with CD playback you might want to edit this line in audigy-script:

$DSPMGR -a"Pcm:$FRONT" -a"Pcm Rear:$REAR" -a"Pcm ctr/sub:$CTR_SUB" -a"Pcm:Headphones"

Changes to:

$DSPMGR -a"Pcm:$FRONT" -a"Pcm Rear:$REAR" -a"Pcm ctr/sub:$CTR_SUB" -a"Pcm:$REAR"

This just copies the front PCM channel to the rear speakers. It would seem that XMMS does this anyway for playing Mp3s.

However for playing DVDs this will screw things up because the front surround channels will also come out of the rear. If you wanted to be clever you could have a script that changes the routes when loading up the DVD player then changes them back when the DVD player closes.
sarumont
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I have an Audigy Platinum and have installed your ebuild in Gentoo. This got my fronts working again, but my rear speakers still don't work. They have worked before in Gentoo, but I killed all my sound somehow, so I tried your ebuild. I used the above solution, too, but I still only have front speakers. Any clue what's wrong?

~Sarumont
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one (possibly stupid) question:

if I emerge -p the official audigy ebuild I get a list of dependencies

Tenpin ebuild take cares of them as well, or shall I emerge the official ebuild first, or I just can don't care?
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarumont:

I found that if I modprobed the driver and just left it at that I would get sound through front and rear, but the rear would just be a copy of the front, even when playing DD 5.1 DVDs. Also after flushing the DSP and adding the proper routes, everything sounds better imho.

My script (audigy-script) adds the proper routes for using all the speakers, and copying the front to the rear is as simple as my above post.

Or you could even try doing this at the console:
Code:

emu-dspmgr -a"Pcm:Rear"

If this still doesn't work then run:
Code:

tenpin tenpin # emu-dspmgr -i

Available Inputs

Mono Name       Stereo Name      Address
---------       -----------      -------
Pcm L           Pcm              0x00
Pcm R           Pcm              0x01
Pcm Rear L      Pcm Rear         0x02
Pcm Rear R      Pcm Rear         0x03
Pcm center      Pcm ctr/sub      0x04
Pcm sub         Pcm ctr/sub      0x05
Analog L        Analog           0x40
Analog R        Analog           0x41
CD-Spdif L      CD-Spdif         0x42
CD-Spdif R      CD-Spdif         0x43
Opt. Spdif L    Opt. Spdif       0x44
Opt. Spdif R    Opt. Spdif       0x45
Line2/Mic2 L    Line2/Mic2       0x48
Line2/Mic2 R    Line2/Mic2       0x49
RCA Spdif L     RCA Spdif        0x4a
RCA Spdif R     RCA Spdif        0x4b
RCA Aux2 L      RCA Aux2         0x4c
RCA Aux2 R      RCA Aux2         0x4d

and
Code:

tenpin tenpin # emu-dspmgr -o

Available Outputs

Mono Name       Stereo Name      Address
---------       -----------      -------
Dig Front L     Dig Front        0x60
Dig Front R     Dig Front        0x61
Dig Center      Dig ctr/sub      0x62
Dig Sub         Dig ctr/sub      0x63
Headphones L    Headphones       0x64
Headphones R    Headphones       0x65
Dig Rear L      Dig Rear         0x66
Dig Rear R      Dig Rear         0x67
Front L         Front            0x68
Front R         Front            0x69
Center          Ctr/sub          0x6a
Sub             Ctr/sub          0x6b
Rear L          Rear             0x6e
Rear R          Rear             0x6f
AC97 L          AC97             0x70
AC97 R          AC97             0x71
Recording L     Recording        0x76
Recording R     Recording        0x77

Then all you have to do is edit the line:
Code:

$DSPMGR -a"Pcm:$FRONT" -a"Pcm Rear:$REAR" -a"Pcm ctr/sub:$CTR_SUB" -a"Pcm:Headphones"

so that the correct inputs are routed to the correct outputs.

Oh yeah and make sure and use gnome-volume or aumix to check that Vol, Pcm, iGain and oGain are at about 66%.
delaowen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet ebuild. After I figured out how to emerge it, I got sound out of my speakers. Pretty awesome considering I have been trying to get my Audigy working under linux for a while.

However, the sound that I am getting is somewhat distorted, and at higher volumes, sounds pretty bad. I am using the digital out to a set of 5.1 speakers. Is there some extra configuring that needs to be done?
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with using the digital out. I just implemented the option for it in audigy-script according to the options provided by emu-config.

I know that running "emu-config -a" to set the card to analogue out causes nasty distortion at all volume levels through the analogue outputs so maybe your problem is related. I have reported it as a bug on the sourceforge webpage, maybe you should do the same.

Also try playing with your volume levels to see if you can get the required level out of the card without distortion.

If anyone finds out what the problem is, let me know and I will update the eBuild.
archer75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the ebuild but have no idea how to install it. Can someone tell me the commands to use?
jlmiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you happen to know if this ebuild also works for the Audigy2 do you?
Steffen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlmiller wrote:
I don't suppose you happen to know if this ebuild also works for the Audigy2 do you?
Have you tried it, does it work? I've got an Audigy 2, too, and have only heard bad things about Linux support until now. :(
frenion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TenPin, could you make this compile against 2.5.x? (I think most prefer 2.5.47, as module support isn't broken in that one)
the_bard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd thrown in my two cents...

The 'emu10k1-audigy' ebuild works fine for me...

However, Tenpin, if I 'emerge unmerge emu10k1-audigy', and then 'emerge emu10k1' (your ebuild script), I get the following unresolved symbols when I try to 'modprobe emu10k1':
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_send_sysex_Rfddcbfb3
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_set_instr_Rd85be938
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_ioctl_Rb66d1f67
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_reset_R56504ca2
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sound_unload_mididev_Ra6bb414c
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_open_Rf6b3a2fb
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_hw_control_Rb14b22cd
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_kill_note_R2aa31695
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_start_note_R9bdaf24d
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_aftertouch_Rf1ea8a20
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_setup_voice_R4ff47e9d
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_bender_Rba7dd041
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_load_patch_Rf7426da3
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_controller_R892093e0
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_devs_Rb3ae63d0
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sequencer_init_Rf78f6363
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_panning_Rdb400afa
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_close_Rad45df73
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sound_alloc_mididev_Rba413f87
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod emu10k1 failed

Nearly all of them contain a reference to MIDI... is there something wrong with the way my system's set up?

'Til I hear word, I'll be using the original emu10k10 drivers... would be nice to get the updated set working, though, if nothing more than the principal behind it.
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to install the .ebuild and it comes up with Python errors ... How should I install this package?
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Linux Audigy FAQ Website Reply with quote

TenPin wrote:

I have posted an ebuild that I use to install the latest version of the driver and setup the card properly and also some instructions and scripts.

Thank you very much.

I have downloaded your ebuild however, and when I try to emerge it, I am confronted with this error message.

Code:

root@localhost emu10k1-audigy # emerge ./emu10k1-audigy-20020927.ebuild
Calculating dependencies \!!! Failed to stat ebuild: /usr/portage/temp/emu10k1-audigy/emu10k1-audigy-20020927.ebuild
!!! doebuild: /usr/portage/temp/emu10k1-audigy/emu10k1-audigy-20020927.ebuild not found.

aux_get(): (1) couldn't open cache entry for temp/emu10k1-audigy-20020927
               Check for syntax error or corruption in the ebuild.

emerge: create(): aux_get() error on temp/emu10k1-audigy-20020927; aborting...
root@localhost emu10k1-audigy #

Do you know what is wrong? Am I emerging it incorrectly?

Thanks,
Matt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: