Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
DHCP setup on Boot, instead of manual config-HOWTO??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: DHCP setup on Boot, instead of manual config-HOWTO?? Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me how to setup a dhcp setting so that when my computer boots, every time, it sets up eth0 with dhcpcd??
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np,

check /etc/conf.d/net and uncomment the iface_eth0="dhcp"

#mb

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you said, and I did that exactly. I made sure that it was uncommented. I also saw a line in that file which stated what the gateway was, and I left that line uncommented as well, as it was correct. On the DHCP thing, it would establish eth0 with the right stats, but it never said it was "UP" when I ran "ifconfig eth0"..... and the emerge commands would error out, cuz they cant get outa my network.

I decided that, since I have the option.... I would kinda like to add my computer as a static route. Now, I notice upon bootup that it states that it is "Bringing Lo UP", which as we all know is local loopback, or 127.1.1.1... I think.... Anyway, how can I make it so that right after it brings Lo up, it brings eth0 up with the following information?

myIP=192.168.0.2
Gateway IP=192.168.0.1

If anyone has a spare "net" file which defines eth0 interface in this mannor, it would be greatly appreciated if you would post it here so that I know what exactly it should look like.
8)
SeanOchoa2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Pls close topic Reply with quote

I found the answer in the gentoo docs. I forgot to START and STOP the services..

Pls close this topic. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: