Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
i have all set up that the alsa default device is dmix'ed in asoundrc (using card with envy24 chip --> need for software mixing) in asoundrc. that's all, then i start jack with
Code:
jackd -d alsa &
dmix. :roll: I tried to set it up a while back when it started to get mainstream but never manage to get it going so I ended up with Esound. Since Esound is not jack capable, I'm kinda stuck to all-jack or all-esd. I'll try seting dmix again.
gimpel wrote:
i'm still fighting a bit to start it in realtime mode, even using a kernel with realtime preemption (by ingo molnar)
Hum, that was not too hard to set, just emerge realtime-lsm. It will fail, but you simply go the the folder where the ebuild resides and compile by hand. Then, rebuild you linux kernel and modules, add realtime to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and create a file /etc/modules.d/realtime which contains options realtime gid=18. Be sure to compile jack with the -caps USE flag.
gimpel wrote:
what is watchdog for?
No clue. I guess it's something internal to museseq and it's complaining about something taking too long I guess.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading alsa ml's i saw that with 1.0.9 dmix is enabled per default for soundcards/chips that don't support hardware mixing (which are most soundcards)
perhaps that eases things up ;)

[edit] it's enabled by default for <quote>all cheap cards, not envy24 based ones</quote>:)

realtime-lsm... tried once via kernel patch from -mm, but failed with that somehow, i'll try to emerge it.
thx for tip!

d'oh!
Quote:
* realtime-lsm requires that 'Default Linux Capabilities' be compiled as a module.
* In your .config: CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m
* Through 'make menuconfig': Security options-> <M> Default Linux Capabilties

...that might explain a lot...
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
CitizenX wrote:
just for the sake of parity (with school programs/whatever), Finale 2005 works within wine. It's rather resource-intensive (or is at least on my Celeron 600Mhz), but seems to be working.
When people are banging their head with enabling low latency in the kernel, I don't think wine API translation is the way to go. :wink:

Neither do I, but I figured I'd at least let people know it works since some need it for school or whatever....I'm not a fan of Finale, but whatever works for you....
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
reading alsa ml's i saw that with 1.0.9 dmix is enabled per default for soundcards/chips that don't support hardware mixing (which are most soundcards)
perhaps that eases things up ;)

Ok, I got dmix working, but tell me, how did you manage to make jack use it? Jack will hijack the audio port until it's shut down, then all the pending sounds are played.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
...but tell me, how did you manage to make jack use it? Jack will hijack the audio port until it's shut down, then all the pending sounds are played.

OMG!!! 8O I GOT IT!!! :D

In asoundrc.conf:
Code:
pcm.jackplug {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}
pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
    }
}

Start jack as you always do.

# aplay -Djackplug <wave file>.wav

Sound is not as much dittered though, but it's a start. Woohoo! It's smelling like esd's heading for retirment :D
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! awesome!

never tried to get that working... always gave jack exclusive access to the soundcard and connected other audio apps to jack then --> qjackctl ;)

but that really sounds like ... i must check that out too, heh :)
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is cool. I just succeeded last night before I went to bed and now I jost woke up.

So, basically, if you can set the alsa plugin (as in -Djackplug for aplay) then you can make all apps that as such support to be mixed my jack. And since there is an OSS2Alsa wrapper, it means that propably lots of programs can potentialy be mixed with jack. This is soooo leet :P

There are some limitations it seem. Like, some apps can't be edited on how they use alsa and I'm trying to make them use jack thrue the !default plug. For exampe, I have the Sound Scope Gkrellm plugin (which is just a sound meter) and it can't connect to alsa when configured this way.

Other options available: make use of esd that can be made to use jackplug, but I'd rather try everythinng to avoid chaining mixers, which adds latencies. Another solution could be to make jackd connect to Alsa's dmixer. It would seem that you can specify that by modifying the interface feild in qjackctl's setup, but I did not succeed with that.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, managed to get it working too, but somehow it's a pain for latencies. dunno why, i'll stick to giving jack exclusive right on the device when i want to make music.

btw: i got dssi compiled \o/
the new version in cvs comes with autogen.sh magick, and compiles nice!

also got dssi-vst to compile after some changes to Makefile.in and remotevstclient.cpp

THIS ROCKS! VST synths + hydrogen + rosegarden connected via qjackctl.. OMG!
and that on a full preemptible kernel with ~4 ms latency ...woot

and also found an absolutely awesome tracker: http://www.skale.org/ <--- this is cool!
it also comes as vst .dll, which i'm currently trying to get working via dssi-vst, so to be able to use it over jack-dssi-host
lukaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

i'm also on gentoo audio and like it alot ;-) one link i've not seen in this tread is ccrma at home
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
it's rpm based but there is a lot of information available (mailinglist) and also a good overview on linuxaudio.

@ gimpel about the latency problems:
set the "jack-tmpfs" use-flag
set up a shm disk in fstab (needs kernelsupport and a bit ram)
reemarge the jack-stuff
emerg the realtime-lsm et voilà!
set jack to a high priority (i use a value about 61 in qjackctl)

but if you like it fast (fast means 0.4 msec without xruns just for playback not for processing. is't about some centimeters in therms of sonic expansion but nice anyway ;-)) go for the ck-sources kernel for desktops it just rockz.

@tecknojunky about soundmetering:
have you had a go with jaaa from Fons Adriaensen. you just connect it via jack and i do like it a lot.
http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio/

happy gentoo sounds
luk

Last edited by lukaz on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
djpenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing this link out there because I hadn't seen it anywhere else in the thread

http://linux-sound.org/

This is probably the best, most comprehensive listing of up-to-date audio tools for Linux.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* this one :P

new very interesting app coming up: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ ..for those that want to make electronic music with some fruity loops/cubase like interface etc, VERY cool. still in early development, but already good usable. got an easy'n' dirty ebuild on gimpel.funpic.de --> downloads.

@ djpenguin

hmpf forgot about that thread after some abstinence. thx for the hints, already wondered what that useflag does, also 'caps'

currently my ardour and rosegarden simply lockup my box when i run them after starting jack. need to try that tmpfs stuff and recompile most of my multimedia things i guess.
Drag0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
*bump* this one :P

new very interesting app coming up: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ ..for those that want to make electronic music with some fruity loops/cubase like interface etc, VERY cool. still in early development, but already good usable. got an easy'n' dirty ebuild on gimpel.funpic.de --> downloads.

This looks awesome. I only wish somebody would do this in GTK+... ;)

Cheers,
Drag0n
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook
evermind
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortly I started a collection of ebuilds for music production experiments

pro_audio_music_portage_overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: