View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:
Drewgrange wrote:
I have an MS Sidewinder Gamepad USB that works perfectly

Uck. I once bought Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad but it appears that the joypad is obviously not designed for playing, or at least requires shovel-sized hands to operate. The buttons are too far apart for intensive playing any relatively consolestyled game and I'm having difficulties with pressing over 2 buttons at a time or rapidly in succession.

I've got smallish hands and have had NO problem with the Sidewinder. Picked it up for less than $10 at Walmart and have had no problems with it. Run ZSNES, Fceultra, Vegastrike, BZFlag, and all kinds of other games with it. Buttons are closer than on the SNES, and feels nearly the same distance as on my Playstation. I don't like that the buttons are labeled (I frequently mis-map buttons, as the NES buttons are backwards, and there are no PS shapes on there), but its a small thing.

Seriously, if you're looking for a basic gamepad, most computer stores will have a cheapie that works for what you want. My girlfriend got a Thrustmaster for her ZSNES (you mean I can play Mario on my computer???) and loves it.

Now if you're looking for something more robust and full-featured.......thats a different kettle of fish.
omnicloud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my PS2 controller for everything.

Cheap USB adapter from Radioshack: $10
Controller: $25 (technically, I got it with my PS2 back in 2001 but broke the PS2 while pitting in a modchip)

Worked flawlessly from the first time I plugged it in.
SuperJudge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need an iPAC and an optiPAC. Arcade gaming goodness!!1 8)
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenX wrote:
I've got smallish hands and have had NO problem with the Sidewinder.

If you use thumb of your right hand to press buttons it's impossible to press buttons a and b rapidly with sidewinder, because sidewinder forces your hand to be such that thumb is aligned with a and x or b and y, with snes style joypad this problem doesn't exist because it allows rotating your hand while remaining ergonomic grip of the controller.
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what freakish hands you have, but my thumb is aligned with b and x (crosswise) moreso than with b and y. I guess if I pointed my thumb perpendicular to my wrist (ala thumbs-up) it would be so but thats really uncomfortable to maintain. I lie the ball of my thumb on b and lie it across the pad , just like my left thumb does with the D-pad. no problems there. Like I said, I have small hands. In fact, aligning my thumb with a and x is a bit of a stretch.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something similar. It's called a recoil and you can buy them at walmart. Similar in shape, but they have rumble motors. They also roll up after use and are pretty swank otherwise. Rubber grips... Cheap too. :)
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
huga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use an old snes pad with a usb converter.. "super smartjoy" or something.. works great
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenX wrote:
I dont know what freakish hands you have, but my thumb is aligned with b and x (crosswise) moreso than with b and y. I guess if I pointed my thumb perpendicular to my wrist (ala thumbs-up) it would be so but thats really uncomfortable to maintain. I lie the ball of my thumb on b and lie it across the pad , just like my left thumb does with the D-pad. no problems there. Like I said, I have small hands. In fact, aligning my thumb with a and x is a bit of a stretch.

Well, b and x is a possibility (it isn't so far a stretch from b and y though), now that I've dug up the joypad from its grave again, but the point holds, using a and b in the same game is slow as hell compared to snes joypad where you can place your thumb over both a and b if you need to. Try Super Mario Kart for example of such game.
Dabljuh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got me a Logitech Dual Action Gamepad.

Sadly, I'd rather play with the keyboard - the d-pad is beyond inaccurate.

Also after buying (...) I'm reading reviews that the thing usually breaks down within the month
basvanlola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Saitek P2500 Rumble Force (34 Euro), which works perfectly with zSnes, dgen, Gens and mupen64. It looks like a PS2-controller, it only misses the L2,R2 buttons, but it has some sort of Shift-key which lets you assign 2 functions to each button. With USB-hotplugging and joystick support enabled in the kernel I just had to plug it in and it worked. :)
nVidia Geforce FX-5500
120 GB Maxtor 6Y120P0
Dabljuh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I brought back the Dual Action (no questions asked) and switched it for a Logitech Cordless Rumblethingy 2

The D-Pad is usable and since its cordless I can play from my bed. or from outside. If I want.

so far, I'm happy with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: