Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on Titanium G4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antrod

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Titanium G4 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Gentoo PPC on a Ti G4 PB 500Mhz?

I have switched most of my Intel machines from Debian to Gentoo, but I still use my Ti book quite a bit which is slowing down my learning process. I was considering repartitioning my 20GB drive and putting Gentoo on about 5GB but I wanted to make sure that all of the basics worked well (Xdisplay, sound, airport, power management) before going through the pain of re-installing OSX and all of my apps.

I ask because though OSX is nice enough (though slow) I would prefer to be contributing back to the gentoo community with bug reports and fixes rather than to $PPLE.

Thanks

Antonio
olof

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ti 500Mhz Reply with quote

Hi there,

i am using Gentoo Linux on my PowerBook G4 500Mhz right now. I have been using linux on it for a while (first LinuxPPC, then Mandrake, now Gentoo) and always been happy. In my opinion, Mac OS X is a beauty, but far to slow.

I started my relationship with Gentoo on an iMac G3/233mhz, and the speed increase was enormous compared to Mandrake. I guess my PowerBook will turn into a super computer.

I am right in this moment compiling KDE and a few minutes ago mozilla was finished compiling. So i haven't yet heard the sound nor seen the power management in action. But i am certain that will not be a problem, because it worked greatly on Mandrake. Gentoo is a bit more tricky, but far from impossible. And the two ARE the same operating system.

I do not have an AirPort card, but from what i've been told, that should not be impossible. I think there was some documentation on penguinppc.org if i'm not misstaking.

So i strongly recommend that you install Gentoo on your PowerBook.

If you encounter any problems or discover any great features, please feel free to contact me.

Regards, Olof Mogren

olofmogren@home.se[/b]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: