Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minor speed boost to Mozilla rendering (req 1.3b or higher)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Minor speed boost to Mozilla rendering (req 1.3b or higher) Reply with quote

One of the things I always suspected that was degrading my Mozilla browsing performance was image placeholders. If anyone have tried enabling image placeholders on Internet Explorer they quickly notice that rendering speed on sites with high numbers of tiny images are heavily reduced.

Keep in mind I'm on a low-end computer, how noticable this is on most others is up for discussion, but even if you're on a 3ghz, it'll atleast help smoothen the ride.

And for fresh comparison, visit a site you know use tiny images all over the place (for table corners etc), or just visit : www.fileshack.com , which I noticed used a big number of them. Visit before and after having done the change and judge for yourself if it helped for you.

:idea: So with Mozilla 1.3b you get this fancy config interface built right into Mozilla. The image_placeholder tip itself are not specific to Mozilla 1.3b, but it will require manual editing (read lower part of tip) for those that don't have Mozilla 1.3b.

Quick Tip Tour :

1. Type "about:config" into your address bar.

2. Browse down to value "browser.display.show_image_placeholders"

3. Double click it and change value to "false".

Then close all running sessions of Mozilla, and restart it. Then go to that page again and make sure your value was saved (on some occasions it'll have changed back to true again depending on read/write permissions and what browser frontend you use etc). In this case it will require you to shutdown all running sessions of Galeon (or whatever frontend you use) and manually edit your prefs.js file, and then immediately after editing it you make it read only, that way your browser won't change it back to default on startup and you can enjoy the setting.

If the value still is "false", setting have been saved and you should be able to enjoy a image_placeholder free surfing experience.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Double click it and change value to "false".
With my version of 1.2.1 it doesn't let me edit them here, I have to edit the config file itself.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clear the disk cache prior to going back to the site?

Erik
edge3281
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
Double click it and change value to "false".
With my version of 1.2.1 it doesn't let me edit them here, I have to edit the config file itself.

That feature was just added in 1.3.
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Did you clear the disk cache prior to going back to the site?

Erik

Ofcourse... :roll:

But seriously, this and the nglayout delay (set to staggering 1200 by default for safety reasons) are the two things that really make a difference tweaking and while the default values are OK as "failsafe" values I can't see myself using mozilla without them at their tweaked value.

The delay tweak makes the page appear quicker, and the no image placeholders shaves valuable milliseconds of the actual rendering, and on image intense sites it can make a fair difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: