View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Colorado Teens Fined for Giving Cookies to Neighbor Reply with quote

Even though I love my country, I absolutely hate the way our legal system is going. My signature should point that out. Here is a link to the article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050205/od_nm/odd_cookies_dc

- Adam

"You know the Nazi's had pieces of flare.. that they made the Jews wear."
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

Oh noes!!!! Won't someone think of the children?!? Why won't someone think of the children!?!
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:
Quote:
The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

Oh noes!!!! Won't someone think of the children?!? Why won't someone think of the children!?!

Each religion has their own beliefs, each person has their own standards and morals. Why can't people just respect others beliefs, especially since it has absoutely no bearing on the issue at hand. Grow up!!!

- Adam

papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this whole thing is ridiculous, I'm pleased to see the judge just ordered the defendants to pay the plaintiff's medical costs rather than tacking on several hundred thousand dollars in "damages" as seems to be the norm down there.
MaxPolun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm going to do this the next time girlscouts come around selling me cookies. Hmmm... all I have to do is claim to have an anxiety attack for no real reason. :roll:

The Real OTW: time to do some good
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so screw up, why can't you americans get judges that can use a little fscking common sense?
The God idea is growing more impersonal and nebulous in proportion as the human mind is learning to understand natural phenomena and in the degree that science progressively correlates human and social events. -- Emma Goldman
nightm4re
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luineancaion wrote:
That is so screw up, why can't you americans get judges that can use a little fscking common sense?

While this particular case does seem rather rediculous, the fact is that bills need to be paid here. While it's kind of crappy to think that cookies left on a step would cause some sort of breakdown, the fact that this affected person had to go to the hospital and such means that person owed money to the hospital. Should she pay for it?

Maybe so, maybe no. That's what the question of the article is. As a result of the actions, money is owed, so who pays it.
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acasto wrote:
Vidar wrote:
Quote:

Each religion has their own beliefs, each person has their own standards and morals. Why can't people just respect others beliefs, especially since it has absoutely no bearing on the issue at hand. Grow up!!!

- Adam

My original mockery aside, people just cannot shelter themselves away from society because they believe culture to be immoral. We live in society that promotes cursing and drinking in youth (whether that is intentional or not) and people need to deal with it, and not run away.

I think it does have some bearing on the original issue though. It tells us that these teens are _not_ normal. Nobody gives random people any cookies... it just doesn't happen. Something tells me that ever since they were kids, they have been sheltered from the real world their whole lives.

Anyway, as per the situation at hand, the whole legal part of it is ridiculous. Frankly, I was hoping that one bitch _did_ have a heart attack and die. She deserves it for seriously bringing a law suit against these two teens.
Saa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what pissed me off most about the article was that the family appologised and tried to pay for the bills on their own, but the bitch said she didn't think they were really sorry and refused the money. She was really just being a bitch after money in my eyes at that moment.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saa wrote:
what pissed me off most about the article was that the family appologised and tried to pay for the bills on their own, but the bitch said she didn't think they were really sorry and refused the money. She was really just being a bitch after money in my eyes at that moment.

Where did you read that? Is there another article?
Saa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6914824/
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmare wrote:
Maybe so, maybe no. That's what the question of the article is. As a result of the actions, money is owed, so who pays it.

Medical problems are a fact of life, a liability that everyone has to face. This is what insurance is for, not lawsuits.

Vidar wrote:
We live in society that promotes cursing and drinking in youth (whether that is intentional or not) and people need to deal with it, and not run away.

They were dealing with it the way they saw fit. Just because gangs are a real part of inner city (and many suburban) life, does that mean by avoiding them you are running away from the problem? They choose a course of action that suited their individual beliefs. Much the same reason you are using linux and not windows. Or is windows just apart of life and using linux is running away?

Vidar wrote:
Nobody gives random people any cookies... it just doesn't happen.

Yes it does, some neighborhoods are very close.

- Adam

nightm4re
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:

I think it does have some bearing on the original issue though. It tells us that these teens are _not_ normal. Nobody gives random people any cookies... it just doesn't happen. Something tells me that ever since they were kids, they have been sheltered from the real world their whole lives.

Are you kidding me? Almost every family member and friend i can think of are friends with their neighbors, and would certainly do the same thing. The elderly neighbors across the street grow rhubarb in their garden and give us a lot of that for making pies. Are you going to call them senile or something?

Maybe they aren't neighborly in Washington, but where I'm from, they certainly are. And before you go spouting off how I'm from the UK, I'm not.. I'm American, and my home is Connecticut.

acasto wrote:

Medical problems are a fact of life, a liability that everyone has to face. This is what insurance is for, not lawsuits.

I agree, but insurance is not free. You usually have to pay a certain amount before insurance will start paying money, and her premium was probably higher than her (somewhat) low medical costs.
msgyrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we just not reward these highly reactionary people for freaking out when something interferes with their evening news. If you have a panic attack because someone knocks at your door, you deserve your medical bills for that kind of stupidity. Worst-case scenario...don't eat the friggin cookies if you were suspicious. Anyone that easily startled needs to be medicated or institutionalized. What if someone was mugged and beaten and came to her door at 10:30 needing her to call 911, would the proper thing to do be having a panic attack and then sue the mugged person for her own medical bills? God, people freak out too easy.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saa wrote:

Thanks Saa. That really puts a different spin on it. What a cranky old woman 8O
Bague
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msgyrd wrote:
How about we just not reward these highly reactionary people for freaking out when something interferes with their evening news. If you have a panic attack because someone knocks at your door, you deserve your medical bills for that kind of stupidity. Worst-case scenario...don't eat the friggin cookies if you were suspicious. Anyone that easily startled needs to be medicated or institutionalized. What if someone was mugged and beaten and came to her door at 10:30 needing her to call 911, would the proper thing to do be having a panic attack and then sue the mugged person for her own medical bills? God, people freak out too easy.

Agreed, if her doorbell is going to give her anxiety attacks, then she ought to get rid of the damn doorbell.

If the doorbell rings at 0:30 at night, then get up, answer, and say not to rign the doorbell at 10:30. If you think it's muggers, it's your own damn fault. If I think screaming girls next door are flying killer monkies, and I go nuts, shouold the girls have to pay the bills? It's not thier fault, it's my own.
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of lots of other people to sue before the girls(religious loonies though they may be).

For example, perhaps we ought to sue President Bush and the news networks for making stupid people so afraid of whatever it is stupid people are afraid of that they have panic attacks when someone rings their doorbell.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judge is a dumbass, with only a shred of sanity for not awarding punitive damages.

The girls and their family offered to pay the medical bills. Since the 'scared' 49 year old woman insisted on going to court, I can only imagine she wasn't after medical bills.

On the bright side, a radio station from Denver raised over $1,000 dollars. What isn't needed for the girls to pay the bills will go to a charity.

Hopefully the 49 year old infant will live out the rest of her life in her rural home, shunned from society, and the judge will receive electric shock therapy.
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escarole wrote:
I can think of lots of other people to sue before the girls(religious loonies though they may be).

... What makes you think they're loonies (or religious, for that matter)?
Registered Linux User #363420
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame you can't sue the judge and the woman for being such a retarded dumbasses.
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more reason for me not to help people in need.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The judge is a dumbass, with only a shred of sanity for not awarding punitive damages.

The girls and their family offered to pay the medical bills. Since the 'scared' 49 year old woman insisted on going to court, I can only imagine she wasn't after medical bills.

On the bright side, a radio station from Denver raised over $1,000 dollars. What isn't needed for the girls to pay the bills will go to a charity.

Hopefully the 49 year old infant will live out the rest of her life in her rural home, shunned from society, and the judge will receive electric shock therapy.

Very true. The old woman had dollarsigns in her eyes, I guess. Just like the smokers that sued tobacco companies...
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:
Nobody gives random people any cookies... it just doesn't happen.

Just because you don't get any cookies... no need to be angry :lol:
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saa wrote:

Quote:
Young said the teenagers showed “very poor judgment”

“The victory wasn’t sweet,” Young said. “I’m not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.”

Yeah, I hope they learned their lesson! Spontaneous acts of kindness are a big no-no!

Too bad the bitch didn't die. Maybe the girls should follow Jack Handy's advice:

Quote:
Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I'll go over to the persons house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side of it's head with a note that says "You." After that I usually feel a lot better, and no harm done.

vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cookies could have had bombs in! Or anthrax! Or smallpox! FUCKING SMALLPOX! Good God man, the terrorometer is at orange! Fucking ORANGE!

Girls baking cookies are agents of Al Qaeda! They have weapons of mass cookie production! Ovens can produce up to 1000 cookies a day, laced with biological and chemical payloads!

Trust no one! Shoot on sight, I repeat - SHOOT ON SIGHT! If you see girls baking cookies, call the police! And the National Guard! Get your rifle and take them out! They are spreading fear and panic with then damn dirty Islamic biscuit manufacture!

FUCKING ORANGE MAN!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: