Cron can't mail, gives an error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Throstur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Cron can't mail, gives an error Reply with quote

Hi all,

Cron is unable to send me mail and has been unable to do so since I set Gentoo up. It outputs this message in the log:

Oct 5 00:00:01 blind CRON[27633]: (root) MAIL (mailed 132 bytes of output but got status 0x004e )

Any ideas on how I can fix that?
graadz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Throstur

Please check whether your MTA (e.g. sendmail) works correctly for other accounts.

Gerard
Throstur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works perfectly and handles hundreds of normal emails a day ... but following your advice, I just tried sending mail through a mailform with Apache, and it revealed a problem..

Oct 6 17:05:12 blind sendmail[12612]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(apache): can not write to queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ (RunAsGid=0, required=408): Permission denied

So I changed permission on that directory from 770 to 777 and now I can recieve both apache and cron mails, but now sendmail complains about dangerous permissions:

Oct 6 17:07:00 blind sendmail[4921]: dangerous permissions=40777 on queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/

How can I solve that without disabling my cron mails?
graadz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yup, had sort of the same thing here. Permission 770 is normally okay, but default the directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ has the wrong userid:groupid. It should be root:smmp.

You can change it with chown.

You should also take a look at /var/spool/mqueue. Same thing tere.

G

Throstur wrote:
It works perfectly and handles hundreds of normal emails a day ... but following your advice, I just tried sending mail through a mailform with Apache, and it revealed a problem..

Oct 6 17:05:12 blind sendmail[12612]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(apache): can not write to queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ (RunAsGid=0, required=408): Permission denied

So I changed permission on that directory from 770 to 777 and now I can recieve both apache and cron mails, but now sendmail complains about dangerous permissions:

Oct 6 17:07:00 blind sendmail[4921]: dangerous permissions=40777 on queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/

How can I solve that without disabling my cron mails?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: