View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Coherent Font Sizes (DPI) in Gentoo? Reply with quote

Recently I tried to solve issues with fonts in applications being rendered at different sizes in Gnome/KDE and plain X. This is a very bad(tm) thing IMHO.

There seem to be a confusion about DPI and monitors that needs to be sorted first.

1) A monitor only has one DPI (dots per inch) per resolution.
2) X uses physical size of the screen to calculate the DPI for current resolution.

But, here it is what it will go wrong. DPI does not belong on screens - only in printing! If applications were to folow X way of doing things then the text (if specified in points, pt) will be the same size in mm on screen no matter what resolution the user runs at.

This will certainly not be what most users want - especially not for web use, or reading documents.

Gnome already uses a default DPI of 96. This is good and coherent with what Windows users use (please do not start Ms vs. Linux flaming) and thus most internet users.

I suggest for Gentoo to adobt the default of 96 dpi for all of X, KDE and Gnome. Using a fixed (of course changable by the user) and default DPI will give a much better experience - especially on the web where almost all webpages are made for viewing on a Windows machine.

What do the rest of you think about this approach? Yes, I know Mozilla allows changing of DPI, but many/most programs do not.
Telep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having exactly the same trouble. Font sizes seem to change completely randomly in KDE, and it's really annoying.
Artherio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. I use KDE, and the fonts in Firefox pissed me off to no end. I couldn't get them the right size no matter what settings I changed. I finally fixed my problem by changing x to use 96x96 DPI. I did this by adding
Code:
DisplaySize 337 270
to my xorg.conf/XF86config file under the "Monitor" section. Perhaps the exact numbers will vary depending on what resolution you use. I just used trial and error to get my DPI to 96x96. To check what DPI x is using:
Code:
xdpyinfo | grep "resolution"
riverlethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What DisplaySize should I use for 1280x1024?
Gatak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do the math =)

1280/96*25,4 = 339mm
1024/96*25,4 = 271mm

BUT you must realze that 1280x1024 is a NON-SQUARE ratio for _most_ PC monitors. This means that when you draw a circle it really will be oval.

1280x960 is the proper 4:3 ratio. 1280x1024 is 5:4 (1.25:1) which is the same as a PAL TV set.

EDIT: I am a little confused on which to use, a fixed 96dpi, or to use a dpi based on screen size (1280/screensize*25.4). The latter ought to be better, but does not really work if people do not use it correctly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: