Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
pdftex/pdfetex/latex, are they all broken????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoolook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: pdftex/pdfetex/latex, are they all broken???? Reply with quote

Hi, can someoen PLEASE tell me if pdftex/pdfetex/latex are broken on the current Gentoo 1.4? I think ther is absolutely no pdftex at all in the portage tree, and that might be the reason that this silly jadetex does not install (see other post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=17441 ) and srews up everything depending on it (I basicly want to get LyX working, to be able to continue working on my thesis, I thought I'll come along better on Linux than on Windows). Gnome2, sane-frontends and other programs ar just other examples of how some misconfigures dependency can ruin everything...
Please tell me if I should no longer loose time right now with it and wait until the REAL release of Gentoo 1.4 is out?

Regards,
Lucian
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which tetex build you use, but if you use the 1.0.7-r10 ebuild you should be ok. Works fine here.
If you want to create .pdfs in LyX, you should try \usepackage{pslatex} in the preamble of the document. Without it, the fonts in the resulting .pdf would be very ugly here.

Yours,
Larde.
zoolook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you for the information, this will be helpful later, but until now, I didn't even succeed to install LyX (that's what I use to write latex). The tetex installed by portage on Gentoo 1.4 few days ago is "3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) " if that means anything. But my problem, as stated in the other thread (see the link in my other post) is that in order to install LyX, jadetex must be installed, and it wants to do something with some "tex.fmt" files which it does not find. Why are they missing, or whay does the dependency that another package might be missing (like pdftex, like I read on the homepage of jadetex)? The whole point is that I'm a newbie and just want to install LyX and I thought the dependencies system would know what's necessary.
Did anyone successfully install LyX, or Gnome2, or sane (which all depend on jadetex) on a fresh Gentoo 1.4 installation?
Greetings,
Lucian
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but I kinda ran into the same problem. XMMS would not emerge without jadetex and that one aborted on not finding tex.fmt (as I was not the only one to discover). Anyway, I have a working latex configuration on another system, so I simply copied over all *.fmt and *.efmt files in the /var/lib/texmf/web2c directory. After that, jadetex (version 3.12 by the way) emerged without probs. So this might work with LyX too. If you anyone needs those files, just reply here or sent me an email. Hope it helps.
zoolook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I solved my problem at that time by installing another TeTeX version listed in the porrtage tree (don't remember which one where available, I'm out of reach of my Gentoo machine right now). After that, everything that depended on jadetex, which finally installed, went fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: