Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ? Reply with quote

The question is simple: Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ?
I ask because I dont know.... well, I know that drugs makes you feel good, and it can make you feel relaxed.

I see people every day walking on the streets drunk and people passed out in doorways because of drugs.

Why does people ruin their lifes and the health of mankind ?

I have never in my life ever tasted any kind of alcohol or drugs, why should I ?

EDIT: sorry, my english is very bad, i almost gave kdict a heartattack.
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ? Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
The question is simple: Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ?
I ask because I dont know.... well, I know that drugs makes you feel good, and it can make you feel relaxed.

I see people every day walking on the streets drunk and people passed out in doorways because of drugs.

Why does people ruin their lifes and the health of mankind ?

I have never in my life ever tasted any kind of alcohol or drugs, why should I ?

Erm, you shouldn't. It's not a case of asking "should I"...if you are asking that, then you don't need to. I like my beer, and I've been known to indulge in some green leaf but that's my choice. Bottom like is, it's an escape from all kinds of pressure, large & small, and lets you lose some inhibitions in a social setting. Like most things, moderation is the key - those people you mention drunk & passed out are probably past that (by the way, must be a hell of a neighbourhood - I suggest a move!).
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do people drink alcohol and take drugs ? Reply with quote

LeTene wrote:

Erm, you shouldn't. It's not a case of asking "should I"...if you are asking that, then you don't need to. I like my beer, and I've been known to indulge in some green leaf but that's my choice. Bottom like is, it's an escape from all kinds of pressure, large & small, and lets you lose some inhibitions in a social setting. Like most things, moderation is the key - those people you mention drunk & passed out are probably past that (by the way, must be a hell of a neighbourhood - I suggest a move!).

Hehe, its not that bad... Today 4 people wrote to my messenger, and they where drunk, or on drugs. (only one was on drugs, and she turned on her webcam so i could see how the party was going.. damn... she was a ugly, all messed up.)

Last week i was at a party, and they sold drugs outside the party, and there were many buyers !

it pisses me off then i see that.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question, I think it is the same reason that people get addicted to sex or masturbation .
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do it for fun. I'm young and fit, my body can take a bettering for a few more years still.
Better to have fun and explore now rather than later; IMO.
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
good question, I think it is the same reason that people get addicted to sex or masturbation .

*fap fap fap*

Say what now?

*fap fap fap*
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well ask why do people live?

People do it for the experience and a lot enjoy it and so repeat.

Only thing you can be sure of in life is death, why not experience what the world has to offer?

It is not as cut and dry that drugs are bad. Sure, you can die from drugs, sure it can impair or improve your performance, sure it can strain body organs, sure it can de related to psychosis. But, you can die driving a car. People are killed with missiles, guns and knives, often delivered by sober people. Developing an information system can lead to a loss of personal freedom.

Some doctors recommend a glass of red wine every day to combat stress.

Marijuana has a number of medicinal usages, and can help with period pains, chemical pain killers can harm the body more.

Oxygen is carcinogenic and for all we know very addictive.

Alcohol tax revenue help run state finances.

Exercise releases endorphins, but many athletes suffer from joint pains in later life, and the person who invented jogging died of a heartattack.
pkd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you have tripped (preferably with mushrooms), you have not fully experienced life. They're the best drug ever because it can give you pure bliss (nothing like the happy fucked-up feeling like with marijuana or alcohol). It also puts you in a completely different state of mind...indescribable. You will think in ways you could never do before...and yes, many times it can give you genuine insight about your own life.

Do yourself a favor and try mushrooms once in your life. Do it in a comfortable environment when everything in your life is okay and you're in a pretty good mood. It's well worth a few bucks and a little risk.

(edit) BTW, since you're in Denmark, you can just take a road trip (or train?) to the Netherlands one day and buy fresh mushrooms legally :)

Last edited by pkd on Sun May 16, 2004 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="myuser"]Oxygen is carcinogenic and for all we know very addictive.[quote]

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Is water addictive too?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkd wrote:
Until you have tripped (preferably with mushrooms), you have not fully experienced life. They're the best drug ever because it can give you pure bliss (nothing like the happy fucked-up feeling like with marijuana or alcohol). It also puts you in a completely different state of mind...indescribable. You will think in ways you could never do before...and yes, many times it can give you genuine insight about your own life.

Do yourself a favor and try mushrooms once in your life. Do it in a comfortable environment when everything in your life is okay and you're in a pretty good mood. It's well worth a few bucks and a little risk.

(edit) BTW, since you're in Denmark, you can just take a road trip (or train?) to the Netherlands one day and buy fresh mushrooms legally :)

LSD is better, and tripping too much is very bad, it is very possible to become mentally addicted to tripping .
pkd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LSD is better.

Why? I've never tried LSD, mostly due to lack of availability. But everyone I personally know who's done both strongly recommends mushrooms for first time trippers, at least.

Quote:
tripping too much is very bad

Which is why I said "once in your life" :)
I've only done it twice: once alone, once with my girlfriend. Both amazing experiences, and the best, most emotionally intimate sex we've ever had while coming down the second time :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkd wrote:
Quote:
LSD is better.

Why? I've never tried LSD, mostly due to lack of availability. But everyone I personally know who's done both strongly recommends mushrooms for first time trippers, at least.

Quote:
tripping too much is very bad

Which is why I said "once in your life" :)
I've only done it twice: once alone, once with my girlfriend. Both amazing experiences, and the best, most emotionally intimate sex we've ever had while coming down the second time :)

oh, see like i said tripping to much is bad, you can't read things, jk. anyway, shrooms are harder on the liver and other organs as they contain lots of impurities, acid can contain some impurities as well, but not as much, the drug itself is effective in such low doses (around 100 MICRO grams on average) that it causes almost no physical effects .
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkd wrote:

no thanks, i like to be in full control of my own mind.

i dont want to kill my own body just because my mind is stressed or something else.
I may have a better chance of survive if i get a disease, than if i use drugs to escape the real world.
pkd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
no thanks, i like to be in full control of my own mind.

i dont want to kill my own body just because my mind is stressed or something else.
I may have a better chance of survive if i get a disease, than if i use drugs to escape the real world.

*shrug* Up to you. It's not as if there are any health risks though (besides allergies). I'm just saying it can be an amazing, life-changing experience. But if you're not someone who's willing to experience a new thing once, well...your choice.
Though I would recommend expanding your circle of friends. Some of the most interesting, amusing, intelligent people are the casual drug experimenter types.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkd wrote:

bullshit its the only drug i think should be banned, it was terrifying when i took them and the while speed may make your knob shrink or beer would give you a hangover they can have very longterm affects on your mind

generaly i drink because when i was growing up there was a drugs war and all the dealers were getting killed but it is just a way to reduce inhibations and let people talk more freely
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSD is lysergic acid, and it IS acid, so its ALSO bad for your body.
no matter if its mushrooms, LSD or any other drug, its bad for your body, and if you have a weak body, you will die.

if you dont die of it, you will damage your body if you used it a long time.

10% of all 10th Graders in USA have tryed LSD (from what we know of.) and thats very bad !

what would that look like in 50 years ?

sometimes i think that its human nature to destroy us self.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

I drink because it's fun, and a good way to relax after a long day. I don't drink heavily these days but it's quite nice to go have a couple beers after working all day.

I don't do drugs other than alcohol and caffeine but I don't have any problem with people who do. I wouldn't be against trying it if I could do it risk-free (with people I trust).
pkd
n00b
n00b

Quote:
bullshit its the only drug i think should be banned, it was terrifying when i took them

Let me guess, you took them at a party or something. Not a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:
pkd wrote:

bullshit its the only drug i think should be banned, it was terrifying when i took them and the while speed may make your knob shrink or beer would give you a hangover they can have very longterm affects on your mind

generaly i drink because when i was growing up there was a drugs war and all the dealers were getting killed but it is just a way to reduce inhibations and let people talk more freely

Some people can handle, others can't. Basically you have to be prepared to go insane temporarily. I tripped for 3 months straight, taking liquid LSD every morning. There are definitely some long term effects, but luckily for me nothing too serious .
pkd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Quote:

No, it's not. It's Lysergic acid diethylamide. It's an amide, which is actually neutral. I'm a chem major, by the way.

I give up. I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
no matter if its mushrooms, LSD or any other drug, its bad for your body, and if you have a weak body, you will die.

10% of all 10th Graders in USA have tryed LSD (from what we know of.) and thats very bad !

LSD causes increased mucous production and mild tachycardia. Those are the ONLY physical effects.

oh : tachycardia = increased heart rate ;

Last edited by Guest on Sun May 16, 2004 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peer pressure. Oh and also because it's fun :twisted:.

I don't take drugs (often).
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Is water addictive too?

Yeah, water is probably very addictive as well.

We all need a shot of water in some form to get us through the day. Ever seen a water addict without his fix of water, looks a sorry state.

Interestingly you have hit upon the reason that I mentioned Oxygen. Oxygen is pretty socially acceptable by nearly all humans and lifeforms we know about.

But, take a mind walk, and imagine another culture that did not require oxygen for life, the might look upon us as oxygen addicts.

We often make distinctions on babies born addicted to drugs, and people who require drugs to function, but if in someway that person has bought the addiction onto themselves we judge in a different way.

On the shrooms and LSD debate I would say the shrooms are better, most naturally occuring psychoactive drugs are better for you and give a cleaner high, peyote is often used in the states where magic mushrooms are not as prevalent.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:

Ludicrous statement. Do you realize how many of the natural chemicals in your body are "acids"? LSD may well be harmful, but not because of that.

Quote:

So you believe even caffeine will harm your body if you use it for a long time? That's simply false if you use it in moderation. Not to mention all the prescription medications that people take every day for years at a time. I personally take Prevacid every day to control my gastroesophogeal reflux disease (don't want to get cancer from it like some of my family members have)...
It's not harming me but keeping me healthy. You can't just make a blanket statement about all "drugs" like that.

Quote:

It's bad if they are abusing it, but you can't make a blanket statement like that. I doubt most people who have tried LSD will be doing it for 50 years.

Quote:

Maybe, but why should we tell them they can't? I think people should be free to do as they please.[/i]

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myuser wrote:
>>> That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Is water addictive too?

Yeah, water is probably very addictive as well.

We all need a shot of water in some form to get us through the day. Ever seen a water addict without his fix of water, looks a sorry state.

Interestingly you have hit upon the reason that I mentioned Oxygen. Oxygen is pretty socially acceptable by nearly all humans and lifeforms we know about.

But, take a mind walk, and imagine another culture that did not require oxygen for life, the might look upon us as oxygen addicts.

We often make distinctions on babies born addicted to drugs, and people who require drugs to function, but if in someway that person has bought the addiction onto themselves we judge in a different way.

On the shrooms and LSD debate I would say the shrooms are better, most naturally occuring psychoactive drugs are better for you and give a cleaner high, peyote is often used in the states where magic mushrooms are not as prevalent.

I dont know, i've tried them all. My personal preference is for clean LSD, LSD with speed or other additives is generally not as good as shrooms. I couldn't stomach the peyote, the trip was nice but i felt pretty sick .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: