Xorg/XFree failure on Ultra 60 Cretor 3D
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Xorg/XFree failure on Ultra 60 Cretor 3D Reply with quote

I'm starting a new thread on this because the previous was created under the assumption that I was doing something wrong in the configuration. I have searched and searched, but have not found anyone running with the same problem or even running X under my same circumstances. My system is an Ultra 60 SMP(2) with dual Creator3D's (I'm only using one at the moment) and 512M RAM.

I am trying to get X running, but both XFree and Xorg have failed. There is a bug report at http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=621. I started off using the 2.4.26 kernel, but I have now upgraded to an operational 2.6.6-r2 kernel. Now that I've upgraded to the 2.6.x kernel, I no longer experience any errors in my X log file. Both my mouse (w/ gpm) and my keyboard are working in the console.

If I run startx I get an empty black screen with the standard X cursor that will move around with the mouse, but no menus or anything will come up with the mouse buttons. If I run xdm I get the grey and white pixel background and the same effect with the mouse. Now the kicker: under both of the previous circumstances the keyboard completely dies. The Num Lock, Caps Lock, etc lights go out and the keyboard is completely unresponsive (even to ctrl-alt-del). Furthermore, if I ssh to the box and kill X along with xinit and/or xdm all that happens is I loose the mouse cursor that I had previously; it doe not give me a tty back, and my keyboard is still unresponsive. So, I can't try ctl-F2 or F3 or any of those. I can't even ctl-alt-del to reboot; I have to run reboot from the other machine that used to ssh into it.

In summary:
X loads with working mouse
blank screen
No errors in X log
all keyboard funtionality lost
even once X is killed from another machine
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it: it's apparently something to do with the communication between dri and glx b/c if I comment out one and not the other it works fine. They just will not work together. I really want both of these and they should work together, so it is still an unresolved issue.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments which might shed some light.

1. Why are you using 2.6.6-rc2? Check with ciaranm, but the last I knew, 2.6.6 (or 2.6.5)
were prefered for sparc to 2.6.6-rc2. But don't take my unsupported guess about this.

2. This won't give you much comfort, but this is taken from a working U60-XMP, kernel
2.6.6, xorg-x11. (However, my keyboard is type5):

Code:

Section "Module"
  Load  "dbe"
  Load  "type1"
  Load  "speedo"
  # Load  "drm"
  Load  "dri"
  Load  "glx"
  Load  "freetype"
  Load  "record"
  Load  "extmod"
EndSection

(The 'Load "drm"'' is commented out because dri loads drm anyway.) So yes, dri and glx should and do work together
with a Creator card, xorg, 2.6.6.

Hope this is of some interest,
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I will try downgrading from 2.6.6-rc2 to 2.6.6 here soon and see if that makes a difference. I have plenty of diskspace to spare, so why not. The only reason I went with -rc2 to begin with is because it was the default provided to me by portage. Yes I am running entirely ~ARCH, so I guess that could have something to do with it. The install guide has given me the impression that I can't really go back to ARCH, so I get to test lots of new software. Although, I think I might try not syncing for a long time then going to ARCH ... see if it works 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: