Wireless card dies during 'emerge sync'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phidias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Wireless card dies during 'emerge sync' Reply with quote

This is my first time with Gentoo, though I've used other flavors of Linux (and a couple BSDs) for a few years. I'm trying to do an install of 1.4rc1 from stage 1. My machine has two NICs: a 3com 10/100 ethernet nic which isn't currently in use, and a linksys wireless PCI card (I don't remember the model number offhand; I doubt that it's very important?). The linksys card is only a couple months old, and has worked flawlessly for me in winXP.

When I boot off the cd ifconfig only lists eth0, my 3com card, and lo. I do 'modprobe orinoco_pci', and then 'pci-setup', and eth1 shows up in ifconfig. I then run 'iwconfig eth1 essid "mynetworkname"'. Running 'iwconfig' at this point reports a working connection to the wireless network.

I then run net-setup and configure appropriately. After this I have a fully functional net connection. Everything in the install works great up until 'emerge sync'. This hangs as a different point in the sync each time I try it, and when I investigate I discover that I've lost all networking. At this point if I try to re-set my essid or the like with iwconfig it reports that "device or resource is busy". It also no longer lists a channel or essid when I type 'iwconfig eth1'. 'ifconfig eth1' lists several hundred thousand TX errors. If I type 'ifconfig eth1 down' it takes the interface down without complaining, but then typing 'ifconfig eth1 up' returns "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy".

Nothing I've found brings the interface back to working status save for rebooting and starting all over. I've done this whole process three times and each time have had the same result. Twice I lost my network on the emerge sync line "receiving file list ...", and once it started listing files for about 2 seconds before the network died.

I have no idea how to fix this problem at this point, and am rather frustrated. I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks for your time.
raziel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I ask what model Linksys adapter you're using specifically? Some of the Linksys chipsets can be detected with the orinoco module, but they won't work properly.
phidias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Linksys WMP11.
raziel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have more success if you can use the modules from the linux-wlan project. They're made specifically for the prism2 chipset, which is what the Linksys cards use.

http://www.linux-wlan.com
phidias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. At this point it'll probably be less painful to do the install from a wired connection. Once I get the system up, I'll try those modules. Thanks for the advice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: